6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Who makes the Best EGR Delete Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Who makes the Best EGR Delete Kit?

Will it throw a code in a(n) 2004 6.0?

Thanks.....

Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
well mike what calibration is in the truck? what state was the truck first sold in.
yes they will all throw a code but not all will show a light on, once again read above questions

Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

I will have to check on question 1, Florida for question 2.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Cheezit Knows Best here

But the Way I figured mine was I ran with the EGR Valve UNPLUGGED for awhile I never got a Light Nothing so I deleated it and still nothing

If you do Get a CEL from being unplugged Post the DTC

Ultimatly in the End you will Deleate the EGR Cooler but you will Leave the EGR Valve Installed in the truck and it will also be plugged in this will Keep the PCM Somewhat Happey

Old 02-14-2013, 09:19 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
being a fl truck odds are in your favor. that should be a federal or 50 state calibration file vs one from a green state.
but benny has offered up an excelent idea

Old 02-15-2013, 05:59 AM
tjustice
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasn't there a Fan issue with leaving the EGR unplugged? Like the fan wouldn't kick in while towing...

Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Originally Posted by tjustice
Wasn't there a Fan issue with leaving the EGR unplugged? Like the fan wouldn't kick in while towing...
That's not good at all!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM
RKincer
New User
On the stock EGR cooler I just brazed a freeze plug into the inlet side and then put a piece of flat ss on the outlet side along with some high temp silicone just in case it sprung a leak. Left everything else in there. Computer still actuates the EGR valve but no exhaust gases are actually being routed. Works fine.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by RKincer
On the stock EGR cooler I just brazed a freeze plug into the inlet side and then put a piece of flat ss on the outlet side along with some high temp silicone just in case it sprung a leak. Left everything else in there. Computer still actuates the EGR valve but no exhaust gases are actually being routed. Works fine.
Stealth delete... Best way to go

Josh

Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by tjustice

I wouldnt tell you to do something like this if it was High Risk

Yes Sir Fan issues with the EGR Valve unplugged But he wont have any problems for a Few days just to test Plus its winter

But Guess I should have been More Clear

Its winter Now you wont really need the fan unless you tow or something

But Nothing will Happen if you unplug it for a Day or two just to see if the trucks going to throw a DTC with the EGR Unplugged

It would be best to go 3 days or a week even better But you need to compleate a Minimum of 3 Drive cycles

I ran my 03 this way for a Year the only affect I had was Intermediate Fan steps didnt kick in but when ECT hit 221* it did Kick fan in High and cooled things down Fast it was Also July and 100*+ ambeint temp

Just use your Gauges to keep an Eye on it you will be fine

Back off it if you hit ECT of 221* but you wont even come close this time year driving around empty

Old 02-16-2013, 06:21 PM
FX4 Jezebel
Freshman User
BUMP! To Whitey Ford [Mike's] question.

Who makes the best EGR delete kit?
After reading this thread, I didn't see an answer as to Brands or Dealers for the 'Best EGR delete kit'...
I believe that his is an '02 with 6.0.
I'd appreciate any recommendations for the 'Best' and most complete EGR delete kit Brand and Dealer for a 2006 F-350 6.0?

Thanks to all for input on his site!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:20 PM
azflyman
New User
The "stealth" delete IS the best delete IMHO. Remove your EGR cooler (or buy a used one) and have your local welding shop weld a couple 3/16" stainless steel plugs in each end. Replace the oil cooler while you are in that deep, they all fail sometime. Hook it all back up as it it was stock. This has several advantages: 1) the exhaust system is supported in the rear is it is stock so you won't crack that $250.00+ Y pipe. 2) it looks stock so the emissions police will be good in all 50 states 3) with the plugs in both ends if it ever leaks who cares? It will never get into your intake and hydrolock or blow head gaskets 4) its cheaper than any kit and you already have the part if you can be without your truck for a day.

Guess you don't have to wonder what "kit" I used.

az

Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Thanks you!

Old 02-16-2013, 11:59 PM
FX4 Jezebel
Freshman User
azflyman,
Thanks for the 'block-off' suggestion, a method under prior consideration.
What year is your beast?
I have a 2006 which has a y-pipe scoop or diverter to force exhaust gas through the egr cooler. Sound familiar? Some have advised grinding this scoop out to weld a block-off plate there. Was also wondering if an unaltered Y short branch and scoop to egr cooler could burgle turbo feed or heat sync to coolant in blocked egr cooler. I had previously read about negative heat syncing from this method.
Future nationwide blanket emissions action is inevitable as Sam and States capitalizes on the revenue potential of fees and subsequent fines while the global warming anthem plays upon inspection. 8^0
Thanks for any further input!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:04 AM
RKincer
New User
My truck is an 06 and I did not make the y-pipe scoop mod. I was not all that concerned with getting that little extra umph to the turbo as figured it had enough flow to do the job already. And, besides, if you read through a lot of post you see where the turbo pressure seems to drop when you do an EGR 'delete.' Some have said this is due to the various engine monitoring which adjust turbo pressure based on a number of variables. I saw mine drop two or three pounds after the EGR mod so figured I made the right decision not to put in the extra work. Now it might spool up faster if you did this but I would think initial spool has a pressure component associated with it as well and removing the scoop would help flow rate but have a lessor affect on initial pressure. Not saying you would not realize some improvement but for me it was not worth the effort for what I think would be a minimal gain under my circumstances.

Quick Reply: Who makes the Best EGR Delete Kit?