1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Are the engines in these trucks junk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 01:55 AM
fordguy2236
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 1997 4.6 and im up to 175xxx miles and i think its on its way out. i have a major lack in power and i have an issue with the brakes which is the soft pedal problem that this year of trucks have. im a die hard ford guy. but im not really impressed with this engine. I also haven't had any issues with the spark plugs. i just replaced mine at about 170xxx miles

Old 04-20-2013, 11:33 AM
vaper
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lime1GT
As I've just noticed the full text detail TSB's on this site are no longer available without buying someones service so I can't link you there, however there's a TSB for ticking/diesel sound caused by the lite-off catalytic convertor. Ford's wonderful cure is to wrap an expensive insulating blanket around the offending convertor to reduce the noise. I just live with the noise from my truck as it disappears as soon as the rpm climbs when driving.
I realize this an older thread
Did the noise in your cats get gradually worse?
Mine started very faint and is really loud now
First it was on the passenger side only but now is in the drivers side to.
Using a stethoscope, it is definitely coming from the light off cats.
The tsb implies this is just an echo
How could this echo get worse over time?
Don't mean to hijack the thread team exploder
Thanks

Old 04-20-2013, 03:09 PM
mechanic58
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 'reason' so many of these engines seem to be 'junk' is because they are generally so reliable that most of them (this vintage) have well over 200k on them...some more than 300k. Any gasoline engine with that many miles on it is going to have some issues...lol. Properly maintained - the Ford Triton engines will last far longer than most people can stand to drive the same vehicle. I think they are fantastic powerplants.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:47 PM
ripstar1
New User
I bought my 98 F250 Super Cab 5.4L about 2 years ago now. Right out the door, I had to replace the starter and the front brakes for a warped rotor. I also did the front shocks and stabilizer links at the same time. I changed the front 4 plugs with no problem, but the back 4 I suspect were never changed before so I ended up taking it to a shop for them rather than fart around for hours on my own. This winter it started ticking, ended up the passenger side exhaust manifold had finally rusted a hole through. I've also had to replace the oil pressure sending unit. Truck now has 156k miles, so to say its been reliable meh. At this point I figure I've had all the most common problems out of the way so its should be smooth sailing for a while. I wouldn't say these engines are junk, long as you take care of them just like any vehicle with high miles.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:59 PM
plugg28
New User
The reason these engines seem to be junk is the pressure the EPA has put on the manufactures to get gas mileage out of their products . Instead of making a reliable TRUCK that is a actual working truck and not a soft pick- um-up truck that appeals to the females , ford has become a slave to government regulation as with all truck manufactures! As the old saying goes "we can send a man to the moon so why can't we......... I would buy two f150 s tomorrow if I could get them equipped with a small in- line 4 cylinder Diesel engine with some sort of 2 speed rear axle. That I bet would get close to 50 mpg and have 500ft lbs of torque ! I dare any manufacturer to make one and see what response they would get? Hey Volkswagen has done it for years ! I'm so sick of government regulations! What say you?

Old 04-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Starr_302
New User
Originally Posted by plugg28
The reason these engines seem to be junk is the pressure the EPA has put on the manufactures to get gas mileage out of their products . Instead of making a reliable TRUCK that is a actual working truck and not a soft pick- um-up truck that appeals to the females , ford has become a slave to government regulation as with all truck manufactures! As the old saying goes "we can send a man to the moon so why can't we......... I would buy two f150 s tomorrow if I could get them equipped with a small in- line 4 cylinder Diesel engine with some sort of 2 speed rear axle. That I bet would get close to 50 mpg and have 500ft lbs of torque ! I dare any manufacturer to make one and see what response they would get? Hey Volkswagen has done it for years ! I'm so sick of government regulations! What say you?

I agree with you on that. The problem Ford has is that compared to the GM LS series the Triton series is really quite pathetic. Ford still makes a better truck in my opinion. But the 5.3 is a simpler more reliable motor than the 4.6 or 5.4 in my experience. And GM seems to get more power and mileage out of them. (Probably because their trucks are a little lighter for the milage)

Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Blake Moyer
New User
ive had nothing but good luck with my 1997 4.6l, 140k miles, no ticks , no knocks, no leaks, doesnt burn oil, put plugs and wires in it and thats it!, if you take care of them they will last forever, and i beat the hell out of mine everyday, but im not a fan of triton 5.4l's, had one in our 2001 expedition, lasted 180k miles until it blew out head gaskets, intake gasket, and rear main seal all within a month, ill stick with my 4.6l, i put a K and N on mine and true duals and its actually quite peppy for a 5000lb truck.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:48 PM
shapleigh
Senior User
I have a '98 250 ld 5.4 that i just bought used at 187k miles, now has about 190K, no issues other than the exhaust manifolds and egr tube(was all original) and a slight leak between trans and transfer. I hauled my fist load with it today, some scrap metal from the barn, no power issues on the way there(I live in a mountain region, have to drive 50 miles to get to a flat stretch of road :P). Drove back to the scales and they paid me 200$ for the 1800lbs of rusty crap i brought them.
So yes i would recommend one these as a weekend worker, mine is my daily driver+weekend worker .

Old 04-23-2013, 12:06 AM
skidmarks82
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think I've ever seen a motor go through wut my last one (5.4) did they r tough. Yah had a gasket issue but when i drive it like I stole it dukes of hazzard style winter mountains , mud heat . My new motor was to fix oil leak but ran awesome still . Just wanted all new stuff

Old 04-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got around 124 grand on my baby and she's been worked really hard, pulling some heavy loads, the last few years. The only maintenance other than oil changes, is at about 74 grand I had it tuned up at ye local Ford Dealership, when it started cutting out on acceleration. They did new wires and plugs, plus flashed the computer with the stock settings....( to refresh them ?? ).... and she's run like a charm ever since.

No, these engines aren't junk, by any means. I have heard that changing one out, you nearly have to jack the cab up and off, for easier change-out, but don't know that fer certain, either.

I've got a stick behind a 4.6 and wish to high Heaven that Ford would have installed a 5.4 instead. Then again... I've also read a lot more problems, here, with the bigger engine.

The 4.6 is no super powerhouse, but with a tuner, I've heard that a huge amount of snort can be attained. Wish I was rich enough to get one, as I've gotta take a 1400 mile round trip next month and would LOVE to get better than 10-12 mpg, I'm currently getting.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 AM
skidmarks82
Tuned
wHen I pulled my motor just removed radiator n put thin piece of something in front of. Trans cooler was pretty easy just more things

Old 04-19-2014, 03:09 PM
bobiker
Junior User
Originally Posted by plugg28
hey guys, just thought id ring in on my 2 cents, i have owned nothing but ford trucks all my life.am a third generation ford loyalist.my veins run ford blue! i made a vow that i would hitch-hike carrying a ford hub-cap before i would drive any manufactures product that asked for a government hand out! needless to say some foreign piece of crap! wow that felt good! being that said i must say, i own a 1997 f250 light duty 4x4 w/4.6l v8. and am very disappointed. where do i start? (1) the flare nut that holds the egr valve tube to the drivers side exhaust manifold deteriorates and causes an exhaust leak,burns the paint off the floor board rust a hole in the floor(2) passenger side exhaust manifold bolts break causes leak ;replace manifold(3)horn stuck because of a some sort of electronic membrane , have to buy a steering wheel air bag assembly just for that(4)bolts rust off of exhaust pipe that are connected to drivers side exhaust manifold;had to replace drivers side manifold along w/egr valve tube that was replaced only two years ago(see 1 ) because the dealer said they couldnt drill out the broken bolts in the exhaust pipe flange. what a rip off! oh! by the way. each time they replaced the manifolds, the bolts had to be drilled out because they would break while trying to take them out.this is a factory defect!(5)now im suffering through a leaking head gasket because i've got exhaust fumes in my coolant tank, the truck over heats momentary ,spews out a little antifreeze then is fine.all this around 125,000 miles. boy do i miss my '79 f150 w/ a 300 six cylinder .this technology stuff is a drag!
Wow I have owned 2 Toyota's and never found use for a forum site like this until getting a ford(married into a ford family). I definely will never own a chevy only because of the bail out. Now I own a ford I know why there are country songs about working on your truck on the weekends.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:24 AM
BFTUFF
Senior User
Any problems Fords had with the Triton series engines pails in comparison to the competition. It is listed as one of WARDSAUTO 10 best engine list. It has been a favorite for police depts. across the country for years. I'll take a Ford Truck every time and 2wice on Sundays! Especially this Sunday. Mines still going strong with 203,000 mile on it and yes, I've got the passenger side exhaust leak that will get fixed soon now that I own a set of tanks/torches. That is, once the snow finally melts. That will still be some time though? Stay safe everyone and Happy Easter!

Old 04-20-2014, 02:28 AM
BFTUFF
Senior User
Originally Posted by bobiker
Wow I have owned 2 Toyota's and never found use for a forum site like this until getting a ford(married into a ford family). I definely will never own a chevy only because of the bail out. Now I own a ford I know why there are country songs about working on your truck on the weekends.
After years of working on all models I will tell you I will never own a Toyota. That's exactly what they are, toys. They're under-built and have too many problems to list.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:59 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i have a '98 5.4 that is now just about at 100k (99,403 as of tonight) i bought it at 63k in 2010. All it has asked of me is oil changes and fuel. I replaced the spark plugs after i bought it.

lots of friends and family have owned or currently own 2V 5.4 trucks with no real issues to speak of and rack up the miles on them daily.

it has a slight tick that is not exhaust related right at start up but dies down pretty good rather quickly. it leaks a little oil off the oil filter re-location lines. otherwise it is flawless!

i could not be more happy with my Triton motors and i've also owned 3 6.8L V10s (1 currently) with no real issues.