Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire/rim Combo Recommendation/Ideas

Old 02-15-2013, 08:16 AM
NewEnglander
Elder User
NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.
It is very shiny one day that will be another project to repaint mine.
But yeah Grey I was always taught to do my homework with projects like these. I've always pulled up charts on gear ratios.
So my thoughts are now to get cheap 10" wide rims, because I saw the ring and pinion set that I'm going to get was a little more expensive than I thought.But I'm going to check the local auto stores first. I actually may not get the whole rear end rebuild kit only because I had replace all the bearings not 10k miles ago. So I'm just going to get new pinion bearings and crush sleeve and not touch the carrier bearings. I still have all the brand new shims from the last time I rebuilt it.
So since I have done the rear end I will do it again myself and I wont touch the front end til summer, maybe I'll take it apart and send the truck to the garage and have them do it. Will make my life easier since pulling the rear end is not fun at all but it is easy to do.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:14 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
If you don't re-gear the front when you do the rear, just make absolutely certain you don't engage 4WD with that setup. That would be a pretty quick method of snapping a t-case chain. I'd go so far as to pull the front driveshaft until the gearing in both axles matches again. Just a fail-safe/insurance policy.

And Dylan, thanks. I just wish the idiot who "fixed" the rear wheel arch cancer had done it right. I'm getting paint bubbles in them AGAIN!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.
Oh man, that sucks. Is there a warranty for that kind of thing? If you do the rear but not the front, it will end up like my 78, I roll around without the front drive line cause it is useless to have. I don't want any "accidents" to happen. Just don't forget that you won't have 4wd

Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM
NewEnglander
Elder User
NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yeah that ain't a bad idea to pull it. I can do the rear axle myself but I've never touch the front so when I decide to do it I'd rather take it to someone, I can save my self some money. Or I can even tear it apart my self and have it towed the garage to have them put it together correctly, save even more doing it that way.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:26 PM
NewEnglander
Elder User
Ok guys I went to a local shop and ordered tires got an awesome deal. 190$ per tire including,mount, balance, valve stems tire disposal. 33/12.50/15 I'm gonna order gears this week also. I have to double check but I think it also includes alignment. These guys say they are the lowest cost around and they sure are.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:33 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
Sounds like a good deal. Hey, I just had a thought... I've still got a complete set of 4.11 Yukon's sitting here along with an Eaton E-locker for the rear and a Yukon trac-loc for the front. I'll PM you on it.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:04 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.GruesomeJeans has a spectacular reputation.
Wow! That's a pretty good deal you got.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:08 AM
Oxfordbronco123
New User
Oxfordbronco123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Reviving old thread

Originally Posted by greystreak92 View Post
Careful going too big on your tires without re-gearing. Check your RPMs with stock tire size (actual diameter of 29.25" - 29.50") against the actual diameter of the tires you are wanting to run. Too big without re-gearing and your Bronco will become a "gelding" in short order. (Passing and climbing power go out the window).

I just posted these in another thread but, hey, I like my truck as much as you all like yours so, this is my '93 sitting 100% OEM suspension with BFG T/A KO's 31 x 10.50's on OEM alloy rims. Eventually that will change but its respectable appearance for a stock rig IMHO.
Greystreak - I dont know if youll get this, but I created an account just to ask you where you got that soft top from? Any help from you (or anyone else who might know) is much appreciated!

Old 06-22-2018, 12:54 PM
Bubba Jones
Posting Guru
Bubba Jones has a very good reputation on FTE.Bubba Jones has a very good reputation on FTE.Bubba Jones has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Oxfordbronco123 View Post

Greystreak - I dont know if youll get this, but I created an account just to ask you where you got that soft top from? Any help from you (or anyone else who might know) is much appreciated!
I don't believe I've see him active on these forums for like 5 years or more. He may still be, but I can't recall seeing the last time he posted.

As for his soft top, I'm pretty sure he made it, or a least did a lot of modifications himself. I believe he has a thread/walk-through somewhere explaining stuff about his top.

Edit: I couldn't find exactly where he was talking about his soft top, but he says a little information about soft tops on his site: Shiny Side

Old 06-23-2018, 09:06 PM
Oxfordbronco123
New User
Oxfordbronco123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks so much Bubba!

Old 06-24-2018, 03:43 AM
WhlM1
Super Moderator
WhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant future
I sent him a private message. I chatted with him briefly a couple of months ago, so I hope he will see this when he periodically checks in again.