1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Getting a DP Tuner - Should the stock exhaust system be upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:56 AM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Getting a DP Tuner - Should the stock exhaust system be upgraded?

2003 7.3 F250 CCSB. I am going to order a DP tuner from Riffraff along with a 6637 filter kit.

I don't do any serious heavy towing, nor plan to for an extended amount of time in the near future.

Should I upgrade my exhaust or will stock be fine? There are no DEQ type requirements where I live.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
There is mixed emotions about this... Stock exhaust will be fine in my opinion. A 4" is really nice to have though. Your budget should have the most say in your decision. If nothing else ditch the cat. if you have one and muffler if you can deal with and or like the sound of a straight pipe

Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 AM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably a stupid question but do you have any gauges in the truck to monitor EGT's Etc? I would invest in those first if you dont have them! IMHO I do not like the straight piped exhausts. As said above "Ditch the cat", you can get a few $ at the scrapyard for it too! I think after a while on long trips the straight pipe gets really old really fast, especially in an excursion!

Old 02-09-2013, 05:37 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,103 Likes on 2,165 Posts
stock exhaust should be ditched for a 4 inch turbo back whether you put a tuner in or not. the truck just runs better with a high flow exhaust system.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:26 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The stock exhaust and a muffler delete (or replace it with a straight through muffler) increases the flow very much.
Some say there is no difference between a 4" and muffler (which they are all straight through but some are louvered and some are perforated mufflers) and a straight piped stock exhaust.

As a first hand experience for you, my brothers psd has stock exhaust and dp tuner (along with gauges) and 80e will get super hot on some good pulls. The stock muffler is too restrictive for egt to stay safe.

Another first hand example, one of my CCLB trucks has 4" exhaust and I added a second (perforated) muffler, and it is very quiet. I honestly think it sounds like stock and with my 80e I can push over 30psi and egt stays happy.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be sure and ask DP what they recommend. I like the idea of a less restrictive exhaust, but noise and your usage matter. And gauges.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I've blown (get it?) cash at muffler delete and a 4" exhaust with stock sticks and a DP. The 4" is the call... but after a full set of gauges. If you have $400 disposable income to spend, I would get AutoEnginuity before the exhaust upgrade, though. The 4" does help, but not as much as finding all the little things wrong with the truck that you don't know are there.

The two biggest power adders before my Stage II sticks? DP 60E and AE. I'd even go so far as to say that at the age of these trucks, AE should be used to get the truck to 100% before you chip... but I'm ****. The last link in my signature will help with making sure the truck is running right.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I ran my dp with a stock exhaust with muffle delete for. Long time without issues. I agree 100% though in the gauges should be first. Very easy to get too high of egts with a chip and no way to monitor it.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would recommend to upgrade your exhaust for better flow, but it is not completely necessary.

The order most people go with is intake/exhaust, then gauges and a chip.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 02-09-2013, 07:38 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
when I owned my truck I did what most do. upgraded exhaust. gauges etc.

I am not fully sold on the exhaust, but since I had it, I didn't even think of it again.

gauges FOR SURE. I would actually do Gauges FIRST to get an average reading. then you know if you will need them or not.

if you do up grade to the 4" you should notice a little difference in temps.

also I didn't tow a lot. or many heavy things. so that is why I am not sold on the 4".

now I have a van and will probably not do exhaust cause clearance seems a little tighter than the trucks (I think). but that is just me. plus I am saving for up pipes and gauges first

I also didn't have DP. just a plug in programmer and set it for 60 eco. and left it.

to each there own and this is only my opinion

Old 02-09-2013, 09:01 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
If your truck has a CAT you NEED to keep it. your going to need it at some point for an inspection. It is very hard to find a used cat. you will have to pay ford BIG $$$ for a new one. I believe, someone will correct me.. $1500 to $2500 for a new cat from ford. Put the new exhaust on and keep the cat in your garage just incase..

Old 02-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Iran my DP for two years before I upgraded my exhaust to 4 inch. I only did it then because it made new uppipes easier to install. You need gauges for sure!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by sand_fiend
If your truck has a CAT you NEED to keep it. your going to need it at some point for an inspection. It is very hard to find a used cat. you will have to pay ford BIG $$$ for a new one. I believe, someone will correct me.. $1500 to $2500 for a new cat from ford. Put the new exhaust on and keep the cat in your garage just incase..
Very good advice there.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:45 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
I was under the impression that (other than ca) these trucks were not required to have a cat.
But if you're concerned that you need a cat (I'd go to the inspection station and ask if your class of truck requires a cat) you can buy a diesel specific cat from summit for 260
MagnaFlow Diesel Converters - Mobile SummitRacing.com
In ME and PA you are not required to have the cat.

I took the cat off an e99 manual trans truck and it was perfect. So just check it out and if its good then continue using it.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM
tennesseecoalroller0
Senior User
With your truck being and 03 it has PMRS id definitly rethink going with dp. I ran dp for a few years fine on my 00 but i decided to change to gearhead and let me tell u wow what a difference but each to his own good luck.. But back on subject u definetly need an exhaust

Quick Reply: Getting a DP Tuner - Should the stock exhaust system be upgraded?