General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Backfire leads to cops shooting each other

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backfire leads to cops shooting each other

...... when the smoky haze caused by rapid fire of nearly 140 bullets in less than 30 seconds dissipated, it soon became clear that more than a dozen officers had been firing at one another across a middle school parking lot in East Cleveland.
Cleveland police chase and shooting portrayed as chaotic scene by Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine (video) | cleveland.com

Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Not sure that the police didn't make some mistakes, but the AG seems to want to throw somebody under the bus.

I'd like some extensive detail about how it was determined that the car was backfiring.

One more point is that the suspects COULD have stopped earlier and likely defused the situation. I think that it's pretty clear that they were not acting rationally.

Bad deal,

hj

Old 02-07-2013, 12:20 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Nothing unusual there..... Los Angeles Sheriff's department fired 110-120 rounds at some A-hole here a few years back. Only hit the guy 4 times, non-fatal. They also damn near killed a few of their own with some near misses, and they put bullets right through windows and into nearby residences. No consequences as it was a poor part of town.

These incidents happen all the time, more now that they have hi-cap semi-autos. In this article the guy talks about firing 47 shots?

As we saw this week in Alabama, when they put their minds to something, they can figure it out and do it right. These chases and stops are common enough that they shouldn't always end up with 100 officers in a circle all shooting at the "suspect"--often unarmed as in both these cases--and endangering themselves and others for hundreds of yards in all directions.

JMO, what do I know, I just pay taxes.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by ford2go
Not sure that the police didn't make some mistakes, but the AG seems to want to throw somebody under the bus.

I'd like some extensive detail about how it was determined that the car was backfiring.

One more point is that the suspects COULD have stopped earlier and likely defused the situation. I think that it's pretty clear that they were not acting rationally.

Bad deal,

hj
Don't get me wrong, suspects in either case didn't stop and may have deserved to get popped. I just don't want to catch a round a half mile away because every cop there thinks he should shoot because everyone else is, and isn't aiming, letting the gun climb during rapid fire etc.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 PM
vman
Elder User
Actually they drove by the police station and the car either backfired or they thought it was a gun shot,so the pursuit started.I think there was actually 66 cruisers in pursuit.Radio traffic said they tried to hit one officer and that one was waving a gun.There was no weapons found in the car.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:52 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Having read the story in the OP's link it would seem supervisory responsibility was sorely lacking in this situation. That many marked and unmarked cars in pursuit alone shows someone didn't take oversight of the situation, that the adrenaline rush of a fellow officers taking fire might have also played a role.

The AG did the right thing and as this unfolds it might be best for a special prosecutor be brought in, one hopefully unaffected or influenced by any of the affected parties, victims or law enforcement.

Sadly this is a tragic end to a situation where all parties involved were partially at fault, the "perfect storm" of bad choices all around. It bothers me some officers might have been involved but failed to admit or report that to their supervisors. If they weren't complicit they should have been compelled by their oath to duty and/or conscience to disclose anything shedding light on it all.

It wasn't a good day in East Cleveland but it never is if what I know about the area is even halfway true.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
does home renovation
New User
Did the donut get away?