Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Black or Polished
Black
14.71%
Polished
85.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

So... Black or Polished Rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:34 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So... Black or Polished Rims

I have a 1988 F350 Regular Cab long bed. It is a red and gold custom paint job. It is lifted 7 inches and has 38s. I just got it from my Dad so it needs a few things. One thing is it needs new tires and rims because with the rims and tires that are on it the tires are too wide for the rims because they don't have the proper backspacing and offset for the width of tire. And the tires are about 20 years old so I want to be safe and get new ones.

I was undecided on the rims that I should go with. The truck has 16.5inch american racing polished rims on it now and I think it looks good, but it just doesn't work with the tire thats on there. I know I could just get a new tire but there isn't many options out there for a 16.5 inch tire and I don't want to get a tire and then it still ends up being too wide and having to buy a new rim too, ending up spending more money than I wanted too.

I was looking at the Ballistic Enigma rims which are black. I really like them because they have a little red in them but I'm not sure how the black would look on the truck. The truck has like that "classic" look, if you know what I mean, and I just don't want to ruin it with black rims. My other option would be the Mickey Thompson Classic II's.

I'm just not sure how the black would look. I know it ultimately comes down to what I want, but let me know your guys opinions and what would look best. It would be really cool if someone could photoshop the black wheels on too the truck. That would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Heres a few pictures of the truck.

Heres the Ballistic Enigmas.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Are you still planning on running a 38" tire? I would definitely get away from the 16.5's just because there is so little for them any more. I'm much more of a fan of the chrome or polished wheel look. I think black wheels can look sharp, but... it's very hard to pull of the right wheel/tire/trim/paint combo to make it work.

On this style truck, I'd go chrome/polished. I like the Classic II rims better than the Enigmas. If it was my truck, I'd get the MT Classic Locks, but that's just me. Someone needs to potatoshop those Enigmas onto your pics to see how it would look.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 PM
ewalt98
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think, in general, the dark modern rims look better on newer trucks while the silver ones with less going on in the design complement the older trucks better.
The new style rims just seem designed to integrate with the design cues you see in trucks from the last 10 years or so.
That, and dark rims often look to me to make the truck (and most any vehicle) seem bottom heavy.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Ah Hell, his is a quick photoshop.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 AM
HD
Senior User
Very nice!

Super sweet truck man. That thing's big.
Polished wheels FTW!

Too bad those aluminum saw blades on it now are wierd sized. You could get you some chrome saw blades, if you don't mind keeping them polished. I've always liked those. Yeah, I know they're common.

Chris

Last edited by HD; 02-06-2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-06-2013, 08:20 AM
garthneddy
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I know this is off topic, but does that thing have TTB instead of a dana 60? Looks like it might from the pictures

Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it were my truck I would go with the MT Classic II, much better match for your truck.
I painted my stock rims black, but that's only because I couldn't afford the MT's

Old 02-06-2013, 11:56 AM
cman1120
Senior User
I'm personally a fan of the polished rims. Like ewalt said, the polished rims go better with the older styled trucks. With the paint job your truck has, I think black rims would look out of place, polished compliments it much better IMHO. I think they add some class and style to a truck without making it look blinged out, like some trucks we see riding around with chrome everything Anyways, just what I would do man, I'd also go with 16s or even 15s, it is getting virtually impossible to find anything (in my area at least) for the 16.5s.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:32 PM
arnoldhunter
Posting Guru
Take a look here: WELCOME TO BB WHEELS!!

Being in OH, your shipping would be a tad bit more. Actually, they have a free shipping on Ballistics to 48 states.

I have polished 16.5" rims with BFG 12.5" tires now. I'm switching to Black rims with LT275/65R18E1 LTX M/S 2 tires. They won't look nearly as good. But, I really hope to get better winter driving out of them.

BTW, that truck looks awesome.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Polished....

The poslished wil compliment the other parts of the truck (mirrors, door handles, winshield trim, grille) They will tie it all together...

Save the black rims for the "cool guys" driving around in their shiny new toyota Tundra, with 24" rims and AT tires... You know those "off road" trucks that are lucky if they even see dusty pavement...

IMHO; dont ruin the look of such a classic truck... That paint job has some old school flair... I think modern wheels would clash.

If you dont believe me, just look at the photo shop pic. hhhhahahahahah

Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
Polished all the way. I can only say what these guys have already said. The polished will add to your truck with the paint it's got on it. I'd go with M/T Classic Locks as well. I just like the look of the 'beadlocks' with bigger tires. And you can buy red or black beads to go on your polished Locks for variety.

Get A Bumper! lol

Gorgeous truck bud

Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 PM
SouthernBlues
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Polished,this is what I have on mine

Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Ok, guys instead of doing one individual post to everyone I am going to do just one big response and address everyone, so bear with me.
First off, thanks everyone for your opinions and compiments, you have all been a lot of help. And it seems like you guys really like the polished.

skyfox: I am plannin on going with a 37x13.5 tire, probably Toyo Mts. I will probably be going with a 17 or 18 inch rim. Yeah the black wheels can look good but on the right truck. I also like the Classic Locks as well. Thanks a lot for photoshopping the wheels on there. It really helped me out, I have been wondering how the black would look for a long time. I think I could see how it looks if the light matched on the original picture and the wheels, I know it was quick, but still thanks a lot for taking the time to do it.

ewalt: Yeah I agree with you that most of the time the black rims look better on a more modern truck, but can still look good on the right older truck as well.

HD: Thanks. Yeah, I think the wheels that are on there look great, but I would like a little bit bigger rim and not I'm sure if the bigger tire would work on them. Because I don't want to get a new tire and then have it not fit either and then having to get a new rim anyways. My friend really likes them too, he is like obsessed with them and keeps telling me to just stick with those. If I were to stick with the rims that are on it now I was looking at going with Super Swamper SSRs in 37x12.5 tires. Do guys think that these would fit without rubbing?

garthneddy: I'm not an axle expert but too me it looks to be a solid axle and it is a 350 and I thouhgt all of those had the Dana 60 in them.

Fastback460: Thats what I'm begining to think that the polished wheels would look much better on the truck than the black.

cman: That is what I have always been worried about, and am starting to agree with, is that the black rims wouldn't look good with paint job, maybe if the truck was all red they would look good, but not with the paint job. Thats what I was thinking looking at the first photoshopped pick was that it made it looked way too "flashy" or "blinged" out and just kind of ruined the look the truck has. Like I said before I will probably go with 17 or 18 inch rims.

Arnold: Thanks for showing me the website, it looks like a good place to order wheels from. Good luck with your truck.

Island'r: The more I think about and the more I look at the pictures (especially the first one haha), the more I am starting to agree with what you said. Literally some of it was exactly what I was thinking. I think the polsihed would tie everything together nicely. Thats what I was starting to think, the truck does have that "classic" look and that the black wheels would just not mix with the paint job, and might ruin the look of the truck. Maybe if the truck was all red the black rims might look good. That first look does look pretty bad. I wouldn't put that big of rims on there anyways.

Blue: Thanks. Yeah I think the polished will go better with the truck. I will probably go with M/T Classic IIs or Classic locks. Yeah it needs a bumper (front and rear). Its still a work in progress, it needs a few things.

SouthernBlues: Thanks for the pic.

Again thanks everyone for their help. Sorry this was so long, just thought it'd be easier this way. From the photoshop pics, I just don't think the black rims look right. They look kind of bad a$$ in way, but just look out of place with the paint job. I think now that I am pretty set on going with 17x9 M/T Classic IIs and maybe Classic Locks if I feel like spending more money. With 37x13.5x17 Toyo Mts.

I also had a few more questions.
One thing is there a difference between the Classic IIs and the new Classic IIIs, they look the same to me.
I might even stick with the current rims but I'm not sure. If I do you do guys think that the SSRs in 37x12.50 will fit with little to no rubbing?
In my location I get a lot of snow so the roads get very heavily salted and cindered in the winter so how do the polished wheels finish put up with all the salt and cinders on the road in the winter?
And one for fun. My dad based the design for the paint job off of an old advertisement truck for one of the major truck accesories companies, from the 80s or 90s. Does anyone know what truck/company this was?

Thanks for all your guys help again.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
In my location I get a lot of snow so the roads get very heavily salted and cindered in the winter so how do the polished wheels finish put up with all the salt and cinders on the road in the winter?
Polished wheels will be fine with salt IF you be sure to clean them often enough that they don't sit covered with the stuff. Polished will do much better than chrome.

Dandy truck..

I almost have a guess on the paint

Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
Also the Classic II and the Classic III are just a little different in design. The IIIs holes are slightly smaller and less of an oval in shape. Just depends on your preference...

Quick Reply: So... Black or Polished Rims