Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Ford to shut shop in Aus

At least it looks that way for manufacturing

Old 05-24-2013, 02:10 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been coming for a long time m8. Manufacturing in AUS is definitely dead.
When you operate an "Open Economy" against subsidized countries, you have no hope. It will be to late for Australia if and when the ******** in Canberra work that one out.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:55 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Well manufacturing in Canberra is alive and well. Yes, in the ACT we make MATTRESSES!
They're too bulky & too cheap to be undercut by Chinesse imports.

The high Aussie dollar has crushed the manufacturing sector and is badly hurting the farming sector.

Essentially the circumstances for the high $A were set a decade ago with the resources boom and the submergence of the US economy. In both countries the lobby groups of the rich have succeeded in moving/keeping the tax base in their favour.

The Australian consumer is as much to blame as any politician, how much Ozzy made stuff do we or CAN we buy? At least our F250s were sold by Ford Australia.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Patchy 73
Senior User
Originally Posted by SSSimon
Well manufacturing in Canberra is alive and well. Yes, in the ACT we make MATTRESSES!
They're too bulky & too cheap to be undercut by Chinesse imports.

The high Aussie dollar has crushed the manufacturing sector and is badly hurting the farming sector.

Essentially the circumstances for the high $A were set a decade ago with the resources boom and the submergence of the US economy. In both countries the lobby groups of the rich have succeeded in moving/keeping the tax base in their favour.

The Australian consumer is as much to blame as any politician, how much Ozzy made stuff do we or CAN we buy? At least our F250s were sold by Ford Australia.
I Agree

Cheers,
Patchy

Old 05-24-2013, 11:03 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
Been coming for a long time m8. Manufacturing in AUS is definitely dead.
You are right, but I'm not overly sure going down the path of being a purely agricultural/resource/service economy is a good thing.

Either way, a few of my mates will be out of a job come 2016, and its going to be disappointing not to see Falcon's running around Bathurst any more.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Patchy 73
Senior User
What will Ford be running in the V8 supercars

Cheers,
Patchy

Old 05-24-2013, 11:50 PM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Given their popularity in Oz, I wonder if Hyundai Motors will be the next car manufacturer to land in Australia?

In the US buyers flock to 'Proudly made in the USA' badged products.

In Australia buyers virtually avoid 'Made in Australia' badged products.

Australia needs an attitude adjustment - it's got to start liking itself!

Old 05-28-2013, 11:14 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
In Australia buyers virtually avoid 'Made in Australia' badged products.

Australia needs an attitude adjustment - it's got to start liking itself!
I know. A friend I had asked for a recommendation on a comfortable car that was cheap to run and reliable, I told them to find a used Falcon on gas - they told me that they were unreliable and didn't want to drive a Taxi, and went of and bought a diesel Citroen.

How the F is a Citroen more reliable than a Falcon?

Old 05-29-2013, 05:59 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Hi Adrian, I bet the Citroen diesel will loose more in depreciation in 2 years than what the FG Falcon would cost to buy outright now. People have been brainwashed into spending all they can on a vehicle that can achieve 5L/100k. Service/parts/depeciation never seem to come into their equation but these costs usually exceed the yearly fuel bill of the Euro oil-burners.
I remember a few years ago the NRMA rated the Falcon the cheapest car to prang at 20kmh. That's got to be worth something.
Anyway, pretty soon the Falcon will disappear from the Taxi fleet - I see a lot of Prius taxis these days (which seems to make sense as taxis run 23hrs a day) - anyway, the day when there are no Falcon taxis left, will they be an acceptable budget car then?

BTW, if anyone knows of a good cond factory gas Falcon going cheap drop me a PM. I just checked my sons 1999 Nissan Xtrail over, water coming out of the exhaust pipe, told him its on the short road to the scrap heap

Old 05-29-2013, 12:05 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Hi Adrian, I bet the Citroen diesel will loose more in depreciation in 2 years than what the FG Falcon would cost to buy outright now. People have been brainwashed into spending all they can on a vehicle that can achieve 5L/100k. Service/parts/depeciation never seem to come into their equation but these costs usually exceed the yearly fuel bill of the Euro oil-burners.
I remember a few years ago the NRMA rated the Falcon the cheapest car to prang at 20kmh. That's got to be worth something.
Anyway, pretty soon the Falcon will disappear from the Taxi fleet - I see a lot of Prius taxis these days (which seems to make sense as taxis run 23hrs a day) - anyway, the day when there are no Falcon taxis left, will they be an acceptable budget car then?
Honestly, I think a slightly used Falcon on gas (particularly the new injected ones) is the buy of the century. They are cheap to run, parts are cheap (and available everywhere) and run forever. I have always recommended to people to find one with higher miles (cheaper to buy, often no less dependable).
I had a Territory on gas (vapour injected), which was cheaper to run than my motorbike - really great vehicle (albeit a bit more expensive to maintain than a Falcon due to the Territory's suspension/drivetrain issues)

BTW, if anyone knows of a good cond factory gas Falcon going cheap drop me a PM. I just checked my sons 1999 Nissan Xtrail over, water coming out of the exhaust pipe, told him its on the short road to the scrap heap
Is it using coolant?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:46 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Using coolant? Yes, about 1ltr per kilometer!
I told him not to use it and then I ordered some Steel-Seal online.
Today he drove it to the Gym - underground car park (I won't take the truck in) - now it wont even start. Just cranking the engine over when cold puts extreme pressure into the radiator.
I've got him to get his friend to tow it home on the w/e. I'll try to get it going with Aerostart and if successful will put in the Steel-seal to see if I can salvage the old banger for him.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

take a plug out one at a time when cranking to find which cylinder is full of coolant. Clear it out and then try to start it. I believe you are past the point of Steal Seal

Old 05-31-2013, 09:31 PM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Yes, bother, small window of opportunity lost there cause he had to drive 2k to the gym !!!

The other night is would start normally and idle OK, everything looked good under the hood but the exhaust looked like the steam pipe out of a boiler!

I think we're going to junk it. And now he says he doesn't want a Falcon. I think I'll leave him to his own devices for a few weeks of scrounging lifts and walking for him to re-assess his personal transport requirements.