2008 F250 SD fix up....problems right from go!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 PM
MRTQV10
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have only seen one thing make the check engine light flash before, it was the cam position sensor. Not saying that’s the only thing that can make it flash, but both times in two separate vehicles, this was the issue. Also if you bought the truck used, you cant really blame Ford for the issues you are having, for all you know the previous owner could have been pulling 20000 lbs with it all day every day. Just my thoughts, good luck!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 PM
jkiserracing
New User
Yes..no doubt there could have been aprevious owner who did not maintain the truck well perhaps. I dot really feel thats the case though. The truck itsef is in great physical shape. Clean everywhere including under the hood. Miles are 63,000 when purchased. As far as my take on the truck itself, I do think it was a bad choice motor for a 3/4 ton truck but it is what it is.
My local Ford dealer took the truck in this morning running a few tests. Their conclusion was a definite mis on #4 as well as random misses. Replaced coil 4 and all 8 plugs. While there I did have the pinion seal replaced. At least thts a real problem that we can realy see with our own eyes!!
We'll see what happens with this. My confidence level with this truck is at zero at this point. I'd love to say its good but I cant hold my breath on it. I can let you guys know in a week. Thats all it takes usually to come on again.
Side note: the service guy did relate the blinking engine light to a misfire.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 PM
jkiserracing
New User
Ahh. Nice....it only took it 3 days to come back on! Ugggghhh.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jkiserracing
Yes..no doubt there could have been aprevious owner who did not maintain the truck well perhaps. I dot really feel thats the case though. The truck itsef is in great physical shape. Clean everywhere including under the hood. Miles are 63,000 when purchased. As far as my take on the truck itself, I do think it was a bad choice motor for a 3/4 ton truck but it is what it is.
My local Ford dealer took the truck in this morning running a few tests. Their conclusion was a definite mis on #4 as well as random misses. Replaced coil 4 and all 8 plugs. While there I did have the pinion seal replaced. At least thts a real problem that we can realy see with our own eyes!!
We'll see what happens with this. My confidence level with this truck is at zero at this point. I'd love to say its good but I cant hold my breath on it. I can let you guys know in a week. Thats all it takes usually to come on again.
Side note: the service guy did relate the blinking engine light to a misfire.
Not sure I buy the bad choice theory, 300 six cylinder in a 1 ton thats a bad choice. My 5.4 will outpull my 1990's 460 anyday of the week. People just dont remember what the engines of the past did for horsepower and torque. Modern thinking is a truck should be able to do 0 to 60 in 10 seconds flat and if it cant then its a dog. I love my 5.4 and it consistantly does everything I ask it to do with no compaints..

Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I had a truck with a similiar issue, turns out somewhere along the way the Pcm got replaced and whoever did it used the wrong one, this was discoverd after $1500 in diagnostic fees, They checked the PCM and it had colored writing on it like you would see from a junk yard.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:45 PM
jkiserracing
New User
Im definitely not concerned in the least of how quickly I can get from 0-60. I just think that they could have developed a good hard working motor that would get more then 10-11 mpg. I could just be out of the loop here but I don't think thats too much to figure out. In my case I would certainly like that but in addition, I just would like to drive without the engine light on. Who knows. I guess I'll keep on getting it checked until someone figures it out...or until I trade it.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:23 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Might be time to check intake gaskets, recheck the plug and coil, also make sure the PCM is set up correctly.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:27 PM
jkiserracing
New User
Back to Ford. He says lets try a new coil...just in case it was bad (although thats rare....this being thew one just installed a week to 10 days earlier)
New one in. Runs great. This was on Monday. I left but told the service guy...if my calculation is right, I will see you on Thursday. Low and behold..Thursday morning...CEL comes on.
Back to Ford. Today marks the 10th time this truck has made it to the shop in 3 months.
They kept it in a while and run alot of different tests and concluded this.....
We have absolutely NO idea. We (as did a previous Ford dealer AND private mechanic) can not find one thing causing this.
As for the engine light...it still comes on, then goes off. Comes on and blinks and runs AWFUL when it does. Skips during that time. Rough idle on colder starts and gets 10mpg on a good day and has got as little a 6.5 pulling my trailer and most as 8.5 with trailer.
My theory of not the greatest motor for this truck is still my belief BUT I know there are plenty of happy Ford guys with this truck so I can't say that they are bad. But NO one gets even a smidge of decent mpg. Guess its not really designed to be good on the mpg's but instead do the job.
I have not completely given up on this truck until today. I think when 2 different Ford service centers says "we don't know".......its possible I was just the lucky recipient of a bad one. Theres always a few bad apples...I think I own one.
Oh well....I think I gave it a shot anyway. I've been leaning towards trading so now its a definite. Won't buy this type of truck again and most definitely not one with this engine but Im not anti Ford either. They make good trucks. I just need something that is dependable and can tow 5-6k.