1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ripped off by Midwest Early Ford

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 12:41 PM
RGB500
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One would think that a distributor selling a expensive repop part would inform their customers up front before the purchase that it will not retain the factory equipement, and extra items will be needed to install the product. Summit, Jegs, Year One, and just about all the suppliers I deal with for my other hotrods have disclaimers on their items that require additional parts to make the part work, or may fit other applications with modifications.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:57 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Ouch.

While everybody has their own ways, I have found that both the giver and receiver are much better served if the one with the most knowledge does the buying. There are also some things that just don't work well as surprises.

I can applaud the intentions of your loving wife who had only the best intentions - you really put her in a completely no-win situation. She didn't know as much as she might have - perhaps others didn't either - and tried to buy a thoughtful gift. Now, you're mad, she is upset, and people you'll never meet are asking you questions about why you bought the thing in the first place.

Is this the vendor's fault? Well, having spend a good deal of time involved with industrial purchasing teams, I can tell you that lack of knowledge when buying leads to all kinds of problems. Some on each side of the transaction. Ultimately, the buyer is responsible, in my view, to understand enough about the thing being bought and the way it is to be used to assure intended results. Others are entitled to differing opinions, of course. It seldom changes the outcome.

Now, let's see some pics of your truck!

DW

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-03-2013, 01:35 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by earthquake68
Wow! That's a ton of money for a radiator. Did you look into getting your old radiator re-cored? There has to be some radiator shops left around.
Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

I had my original radiator recored by Northwest Radiators in Tacoma Wa. They removed the 3 row original core and replaced it with a 4 row core, straightened the upper and lower tanks and put it all back together.

The total bill with tax was just shy of $700. They also ensured that my upper and lower tanks are either "good" or they replaced them.

I was willing to do this because I wanted a new, more efficient radiator and I wanted it to fit. None fits better than an OEM radiator.....

Also, nothing is "cheep" these days.

If they sent you the "wrong" radiator, they should be willing to accept the return. But it doesn't appear they sent you the "wrong" radiator.

Nope they also decided to charge me 20% to restock something they dont stock in the first place.
You're lucky they just don't say "sorry" special items are NOT returnable......"

I had a look at their return policy and it also appears that they're just following it.....

This appears to be one of those cases where someone bought a great gift with the best intentions, but didn't do homework.

You bought something that doesn't appear to be in the catalog, (couldn't find any radiators in their catalog) making it a special order item.

I am not sure that you can blame the seller here...... They sold you a NON-defective part that arrived in a NON-damaged condition.

I would just fabricate (or have someone fabricate) the "new shroud or even switch to an electric fan. (although I don't know there is 6v electric fans available )

You might go to a sheet metal shop and see if you can get someone to either modify your shroud or make you a new one.......

I think you'll be happy with the new radiator once you get the shroud modifed or made to fit.

Cheers,

Rick

Old 02-03-2013, 03:48 PM
joshdental
New User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First of all who cares how many posts i have. Is there a rule your first post should be about puppy dogs and rainbows. Ive been a member since 2011. Im new at building a truck and usually read for info. I have little knowledge and have no tech tips for others. The radiator is not used and was sent back in box it came in. It will be sold as new. This is the perfect platform for what i used it for. To get tips and tricks. Also to vent to others when i feel ripped off. If thats wrong im sorry my next post will be more positive

Old 02-03-2013, 05:59 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Josh,

I also thought a rant wasn't a good first post but I'm not as annal as the "Intro Post" police on the HAMB. It suppose it could have been done a little better, maybe "I have a problem". I don't know. Just sayin' but please don't make you 5th post a pissy one, us old timers here won't take too kindly to that either.

Anyway the person I really feel for is your wife. I can see how she might feel she just $800 on a useless part. I also think maybe Midwest could have done more to make sure she bought what she was looking for but I'd also guess the person manning the phone was someone elses wife who is just doing her job. From what I've read about other vendors they just have phone answerers, they take you information and pass it on. Most seem not to really know what they're selling. Smaller places like Classic Hauler, who I have dealt with, have the owners answering the phone and they will know the products they're selling.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:18 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
.... Smaller places like Classic Hauler, who I have dealt with, have the owners answering the phone and they will know the products they're selling.
Probably only if someone has bought a part, and complained to them already. The only vendor I've dealt with who really knew the nuts and bolts is Stacy at Antique Auto in Arlington TX. More or less a one-man shop, in business since '57.

Getting wrong, or crappy repro parts is a daily occurence on here...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-56-guys.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-dont-fit.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...hermostat.html

Old 02-03-2013, 06:28 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I talked directly with Candy at Classic Haulers, maybe I got lucky. She seemed like a really nice person.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Wayne S
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I talked directly with Candy at Classic Haulers, maybe I got lucky. She seemed like a really nice person.

I have been to Classic Haulers a few times and talked with Candy while there. She is a super nice person and great to deal with.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
If you still have your old radiator, have the flanges that have the shroud mounting holes soldered onto your new radiator.

I think it's unfair to paint this as MEF ripping you off. The same radiators are available from several vendors and their policies are roughly the same. No matter who you got it from, you'd be in the same position. For the $320, I'd keep the new radiator and either make it work with the shroud, or go electric fan.
Like he said. This hobby requires being a lot of patience. Many parts I've gotten don't quite fit and faced with your situation, the hobby requires resourceful ideas or you end paying someone else to build your truck. Don't mean to be a jerk, I feel badly for your bad experience, but this is the way these builds go. One step forward two steps back. Hang in there.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:59 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Undoubtedly, but does she know all the details of Bonus Built trucks, down to the level of detail of the radiator has the mounting flange for the stock shrouds? Until recently, they didn't even sell 48-52 parts, they were Mid-Fifties. Nothing against them, but I doubt they know all the nuances of any of the years. I learn something new about our trucks almost every day on here.

Then there's LMC, I don't think anyone there would recognize a Bonus Built truck if it ran them over.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I think LMC is one of those places that hire phone answerers. They take your order and that is about it. I haven't dealt with them, just what I have read. I have found a few mistakes in their catalog and I've heard when this was brought to their attention it was blown off.

I have two reproduction dealers up here in WI and I really don't like either one. One is about 25 from me and keeps very odd hours, opens late, closes early so I'm just as well off dealing with someone in another state that I like. If I order from my local guys, with their hours, I'd have to have them ship to me and it'd probably cost close to the same.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:19 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum Josh.

To be honest, I've had problems, been dissatisfied, or felt ripped off with everyone I've dealt with in the restoration of my truck with the exception of, ironically, the shop who rebuilt my radiator. Probably everyone else here also has had a bad experience. But how to share that experience, or even choosing to, is a delicate matter. I know you are upset and feel wronged, but a lot of the time airing it affects people on how they view you, not who you are ranting on. If you, however, feel you must get it off your chest, it's better not to pass judgement. Let those who read your story come to their own conclusion. But, if you can, try adhering to the old adage, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." This is a great forum, lots of good advice, knowledge, and great looking trucks. Enjoy the ride, and make it enjoyable for others.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by joshdental
First of all who cares how many posts i have. Is there a rule your first post should be about puppy dogs and rainbows. Ive been a member since 2011. Im new at building a truck and usually read for info. I have little knowledge and have no tech tips for others. The radiator is not used and was sent back in box it came in. It will be sold as new. This is the perfect platform for what i used it for. To get tips and tricks. Also to vent to others when i feel ripped off. If thats wrong im sorry my next post will be more positive
Okay you've gotten it off your chest. Bad experience. Pick up the pieces and move on. Now stick around and participate. I don't buy your claim that you have nothing to contribute. If you've turned a wrench on an F-1, you're more than qualified. Now how about you tell us the story of your truck and what you've done with it. Or you choose to go back into hibernation......

Old 02-03-2013, 09:03 PM
joshdental
New User
I guess I could have waited to cool off. Just seems so dang personal to throw money away. Sorry if I offended anyone. Truth is the only place I learn about my truck is you guys and vendors. I'll chose my words more carefully. Happy driving

Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 PM
joshdental
New User
I bought the truck two years ago. I've done the brakes master cylinder rebuilt my first Holley 94 "twice". New wiring harness new tires and tubes new lights. New fuel tank and new fuel lines. New brushes on generator.still a 6volt. Kinda cool driving old style tech.still has the oil airtake. And once I get the radiator done I'll be cruisin

Quick Reply: Ripped off by Midwest Early Ford