Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

New guy here, checking in!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 PM
The_Jeremiah
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy here, checking in!

Hey guys, The name is Jeremiah. I just joined the forum because (unfortunately) I just sold my ford truck and wanted to pop on over to the diesel forum and spike a conversation on which truck to buy. The truck I just sold was a 77 F-150 4x4 short bed, I dropped in a 1994 EFI 302, 5 speed, and Transfer case, let me tell you, she was something else!

That being said, I am located in central Washington, I am an ASE certified technician, I drag race in the summer time, looking forward to learning a bit more about the diesel pickups before I buy one and hopefully I can lend a helping hand to someone on the forum as well!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Well first off WELCOME in the water is fine
but if you live in Washington you already know that.
The water is really cold and a bit dirty.

As far as what diesel years to go with I would not get anything
newer that the 07 Way too much EPA nanny crap on the new ones.

Yes I know I have some on my 06 but an EGR valve is easy to deal with
and so is the Kat

Sean

Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 PM
The_Jeremiah
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Well first off WELCOME in the water is fine
but if you live in Washington you already know that.
The water is really cold and a bit dirty.

As far as what diesel years to go with I would not get anything
newer that the 07 Way too much EPA nanny crap on the new ones.

Yes I know I have some on my 06 but an EGR valve is easy to deal with
and so is the Kat

Sean
The water is really cold, over here in central washington we had our first sunshine of the year today! I like this whole chapters thing, nice to be able to relate to people on a forum about the weather!

I cant stand emissions crap, I am more looking along the lines of an idi, I posted a thing over in the diesel section to see what they say over there!

thanks for the welcoming!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Your very welcome,
If you change your mind and want to look at a 6.0. You can come on over for a get
together and bring some super glue and I take you for a test drive. I should have
my tuner this weekend from Gearhead Gearhead Automotive Performance
It's a SCT with custom tune by Matt. The guy on the phone said it will surprise me with
tire tracks if I push it. I had them disable the EGR table so that only leaves me with the
Kat and from what some guys have said the Kat keeps the drone down.

Sean

Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Welcome, welcome. I know absolutely nothing about diesels and don't know much about EFI systems but I can manage. I stick to the carbureted vehicles till i get more knowledge on other stuff. I have owned two carb'ed vehicles and one EFI pickup and still prefer a carb. Anywho, welcome to the club and as Sean mentioned, we do hold meets at least every month so if you feel like driving westward keep an eye out for the threads

Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 PM
The_Jeremiah
Freshman User
I have nothing against the 6.0, just the price tag that comes along with it! lol. You have the egr disabled, thats very cool, im sure thats the best thing for it!

Ill definantly keep an eye on the threads for the get togethers, I travel all over the state hunting for parts, and cars and what not, just your typical 'murican! haha. But first, I have to get another truck

Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 AM
crash1
Posting Guru
welcome to the WFTE

Old 01-31-2013, 04:13 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
If you know what to look for sometimes a guy will trying to off a 6.0
for cheep and the problem could be as simple as a SCT fitting or the stand pipes and
dummy plugs. Yes it a bit of work but once done..........

Sean

Old 01-31-2013, 05:37 PM
The_Jeremiah
Freshman User
Originally Posted by crash1
welcome to the WFTE
thanks!

Originally Posted by Yahiko
If you know what to look for sometimes a guy will trying to off a 6.0
for cheep and the problem could be as simple as a SCT fitting or the stand pipes and
dummy plugs. Yes it a bit of work but once done..........

Sean
Good point, I have seen that in the past

Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 AM
pchighboy75
Freshman User
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome Jeremiah. How "central" are you? I've been a member here a couple years, but just recently started posting. Spent a lot of time just searching and reading. As you probably already know, this is an awesome resource for anything Ford Truck.... an absolute WEALTH of knowledge here. I'm an old school Ford guy that grew up Puget Sound, but now enjoy country living on the east side.

Good luck on your search. I'm always on the hunt for F's and SD's. If I knew your preferences, I'd be glad to keep an eye open for you E.WA or N.ID.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:30 AM
The_Jeremiah
Freshman User
Originally Posted by pchighboy75
Welcome Jeremiah. How "central" are you? I've been a member here a couple years, but just recently started posting. Spent a lot of time just searching and reading. As you probably already know, this is an awesome resource for anything Ford Truck.... an absolute WEALTH of knowledge here. I'm an old school Ford guy that grew up Puget Sound, but now enjoy country living on the east side.

Good luck on your search. I'm always on the hunt for F's and SD's. If I knew your preferences, I'd be glad to keep an eye open for you E.WA or N.ID.
Im smack dab in the middle of the state, Ellensburg Washington! haha. I had to refer to this site a couple times when I was doing my EFI swap on my 77 that I just sold. It is a wealth of knowledge.

I would really like an extended cab manual trans 4x4 diesel ford if you see one, im lookin for one on the cheap!

And of course like everyone else, I would love a dent side crew cab 4x4,

I used to have a 77 crew cab, But I brought it with me when I came over from the coast of oregon, the thing was just so badly rusted and beat up, I used what was left to build my yellow truck, then sold the rest. found out later the guy went bankrupt and he had a ton of cars that all got sold and squashed, found out later my truck had gotten squashed too when I found my old 400m in the wrecking yard!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 AM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Welcome!

I don't know if they ever made the crew cab dents in 4wd configuration.. I could be wrong.

As far as a diesel, I would recommend a idi. Much less to break on them than a 6.0, and you can cheaply and easily fix them. Just my $0.02

Jameson

Old 02-04-2013, 03:04 PM
The_Jeremiah
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jgavac
Welcome!

I don't know if they ever made the crew cab dents in 4wd configuration.. I could be wrong.

As far as a diesel, I would recommend a idi. Much less to break on them than a 6.0, and you can cheaply and easily fix them. Just my $0.02

Jameson

I have been on the lookout for an idi, just waiting for one to come along that meets my criteria, i would really like a turbo 5 speed extended cab around 88 vintage. with a turbo, but if it doesnt have a turbo, no biggie, can always put one on.

let me know if you see something!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Sounds like you're looking for what I have 87 F250 super cab 6.9 with zf5

Keep in mind that the IDI's didn't come from the factory with a turbo. Are you looking for 2 or 4wd truck? And what's your price range? I see them all the time on CL for the west side.

Jameson

Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 PM
The_Jeremiah
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jgavac
Sounds like you're looking for what I have 87 F250 super cab 6.9 with zf5

Keep in mind that the IDI's didn't come from the factory with a turbo. Are you looking for 2 or 4wd truck? And what's your price range? I see them all the time on CL for the west side.

Jameson
4wd for sure, cant have a 2wd in Ellensburg, My price range, Im wanting to spend around 1500 because I see them pop up from time to time for that much, and I dont NEED one, I just want one. I can still pull a trailer with a gas truck, just not as well. I just missed 1 for 1600 that I liked, but wasnt extended cab. If I can find one non turbo that would work, I would just try to pick up a used turbo kit from a FTE member somewhere. Keep an eye out for me!