Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

Flat head V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flat head V8

Hello to all, I hope this year is starting off good for each of you. As I have stated in my welcome thread I had a little surgery and am layed up recovering and getting better each day. Sitting around I got to wondering if there is an old Ford flathead V8 laying around somewhere someone wants to get rid of? Since I can't work right now my income is limited but if you know of anyone who has one laying around and they want it hauled off for little or nothing I would really like to have one to tinker with as I recuperate. Thank you in advance for information and suggestions.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:55 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
I've got one at the shop laying out under a tarp. I believe it was frozen up when it was pulled from the car(a '41 Business Coupe), but I really don't remember. I'm sorta planning to put in a few hours today. If I get down there, I'll check it out and see how bad it really is. If not, I'll check it out Monday.

Wouldn't want to buy a '41 Business Coupe street rod project, would you?

Old 01-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Thanks Old Crow, I am not interested in the coupe......sorry, but I am interested in the flathead even if it is locked up as long as the block isn't cracked. Thanks again for your information sir.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
Wouldn't want to buy a '41 Business Coupe street rod project, would you?
Not that I've got room/time/money for another one...but what shape is the car in? I keep hoping I'll win the PowerBall one of these days so I can build a shop for the projects....but I keep coming up empty handed.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by zhilton
Not that I've got room/time/money for another one...but what shape is the car in? I keep hoping I'll win the PowerBall one of these days so I can build a shop for the projects....but I keep coming up empty handed.
Car was complete. It's been stripped to bare frame. Frame has been sandblasted and primed. A lot of the cancer in the body has been cut out and new panels welded in. Front fenders have already been welded to the body. I've got a fresh 350 Chevy, Nova axle(also blasted and primed), Vintage Air setup for the car. Classic Instr. cluster to replace stock gauges. I was told there's a Powerglide around here somewhere for it, but I haven't seen it yet.
I've got all the stock parts(until I sell the flathead, that is). Front axle and wishbone, rear axle and wishbone. No mods have been made to the frame yet(I think).
Guy was wanting $8k like it sits.

To the OP, flathead is locked up tight. Call me at Vince's Vintage Vehicles 501-723-4080. Ask for Wally

Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
I've got a fresh 350 Chevy, Nova axle(also blasted and primed)
So wrong, in so many ways. I don't care how cheap they are...or the parts; but GM parts should never been in a Ford.

The car sounds like it would be a neat project, and something nice to go cruise town with. But like I said, I don't have the time/money/space for another project. I haven't even started on my Ranchero and it's odd enough that it's worth the effort.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by zhilton
So wrong, in so many ways. I don't care how cheap they are...or the parts; but GM parts should never been in a Ford.
I know why its done, SBC's are cheap, bulletproof, all of the above..but it just doesn't seem right does it?

Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Hey, I just build 'em.
I'll see if I can fit a Hemi in the damn thing for enough of your money.
;-)

You notice my 61's running a 302 and not the 400SBC I had access to at the time.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 AM
bill henry
Senior User
my little 50 ford 2 door sedan has a 500 caddy in it. lots of torg. 700r4,ford 9 in.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by bill henry
my little 50 ford 2 door sedan has a 500 caddy in it. lots of torg. 700r4,ford 9 in.
That's what I'm talkin' about! Big a$$ed Caddy motor is the ultimate cool.
This '41 was just supposed to be an inexpensive driver. He alreay had a '50 Buick that we did back original. I heard that's gone now, too.

If I had to look for a car right now it'd be around a '63-'64 Lincoln with the suicide back doors. It would end up powder blue with a dark blue vinyl top and dark blue leather interior.
I drove my dad's for a whole month one time when I was on leave from the AF. Fell in love with that car.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
I'll see if I can fit a Hemi in the damn thing for enough of your money.
;-)
I think I just threw up a little

I love the way the flat heads sound...

Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tojoski
I think I just threw up a little

I love the way the flat heads sound...
Agreed, there are just certain things that should never happen...MoPar parts in Fords is one of them...I don't care if it says Cummins across the valve covers.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:33 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Maybe I should have been clearer. When I say "Hemi", I'm not talking about some over-engineered, fly-by-wire, politically correct, wimpy motor.
When I say "Hemi", I mean 426 cubic inches of pure, raw, American hot rod horsepower. A motor that bellows smoke, fumes and enough noise to wake the neighbors a block away.
With that motor, they don't have to ask,"Hey, has that got a Hemi in it?" The ground shaking under the car answers the question for them.

Alright, I'll quit now.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Hey Old Crow I just want to tell you again I enjoyed the visit and seeing some of the great looking old cars and truck you have there. I appreciate the flathead and though it may take me some time I will let you know how it goes. Thanks Again.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Glad to have been of service. Any of you other guys are always welcome to stop by and check out the shop.
Hopefully you won't have the problem finding me that Stan did. :-)

Quick Reply: Flat head V8