Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Need Warranty help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 AM
billygoat77
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Warranty help

Hey everyone. First I would like to say I am a long time reader and a first time poster. I would like to thank the Texas chapter for letting me join. It is good to see fellow Texans helping their own. I have a 2011 F250 Lariat still under factory warranty and no extended warranty. The issue I have is my driver mirror is electronic and the folding mechanism on it is failing. Every time you close it you have to manually help it close. I have taken to a dealer ship in Stafford. Not sure if I should name it but locals should know who it is. They looked at it and claimed that they cannot warranty it because they say it is damaged. I find this hard to believe because there is no damage to it and I have never hit anything. I am the only driver. Not even my chick drives it. SSHHH don't tell her I said that. Anyways I know the Service writer there and he told me the body trim guy who looked at it is kind of crooked. so what he did for me is make sure it was not flagged and he told me to take it to another dealer to get it fixed. It sounds like to me the trim guy didn't want to waist his time on a warranty claim. I am a little up set at the fact I spent good money to buy this truck and now I have to find another dealer to fix it. I would like to know if anyone knows a good dealer to send it to that would do a better job of warrantying it so I dont get flagged and end up never getting it fixed. I was told it is a $1200 replacement. This not an option I will trade it in before paying that kind of money for a mirror. I live on the Richmond Katy border on the west side of town outside Houston. Thanks for listening to my problem any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:57 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-09-2012, 06:59 PM
billygoat77
Junior User
Originally Posted by DRRXR

Thanks for the post DRRXR but after about 10 attempts just opening and closing them no dice. Then I tried Opening and closing while assisting it with my hand. Now it doesnt work at all. Oh well thank you anyway. I will try again tomorrow at work and if that doesnt make it better hopefully someone can let me know of a good dealer to take it to.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
If it doesn't have to be a Ford dealership I have a friend with a body shop in Alief which is southwest Houston. 59 at Beltway @ would be the closest major intersection.

Let me know.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:25 AM
billygoat77
Junior User
Originally Posted by Texas Chain Ring
If it doesn't have to be a Ford dealership I have a friend with a body shop in Alief which is southwest Houston. 59 at Beltway @ would be the closest major intersection.

Let me know.

Thanks Texas Chain Ring for the help. I am going to try going to chastings ford. A friend of mine said he knows the GM over there and to give them a try to cover it under warranty. Now I just need to find the time to give up a day to go over there and see if they can do it. If that doesnt work I will give you a shout.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:23 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
i dont think they are telling you the whole truth. odds are the dealer is high on the 126 in metal/trim/glass repairs. $1200 is a big repair in that section that would drive numbers up more. also the mirror is on the digital image list and pictures must be submitted (assuming the dealer is on di requirement).
I never meet a tech that would turn down a gravy replacement mirror.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:46 PM
billygoat77
Junior User
Originally Posted by cheezit
i dont think they are telling you the whole truth. odds are the dealer is high on the 126 in metal/trim/glass repairs. $1200 is a big repair in that section that would drive numbers up more. also the mirror is on the digital image list and pictures must be submitted (assuming the dealer is on di requirement).
I never meet a tech that would turn down a gravy replacement mirror.

Thanks cheezit. I do remember the service writer saying they would have to take pictures. Maybe that is why they wouldn't do it because of high numbers. I know these days warranty work is raping the tech. out of any possible money to be made but I agree, I also find it hard to believe that a tech would pass up a gravy job like that. Have not seen the way it is attached but I know my 2001 had like 2 or three nuts and a plug. I switched from the regulars to the tow mirrors and found it a pretty quick job. Hopefully I have some time off coming up here around new years and will try another dealer. Is there any thing I should know to make the process any easier for me or the dealership so I am not let down again?

Old 12-22-2012, 06:34 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

yup make sure there are no rub marks on it anywere. thats about it. i just find it crappy that auto repair lost the thought process and wet to a "numbers" game

Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
I'd say bring it up to Tomball Ford. They're pretty good as far as service goes.

Too far? Go to Champion Ford, they're good too, definitely closer to you.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:01 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cheezit
yup make sure there are no rub marks on it anywere. thats about it. i just find it crappy that auto repair lost the thought process and wet to a "numbers" game
Yup, the way I understand it, dealerships are now being supported mostly by the service department due to educated consumers and the readily available information regarding prices & invoices on the Internet, so profits on sales are down.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

service has always paid the bills, sales and f/i is the profit center

Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
sorry to hear bout ur mirror, bill. sounds like a horrific nightmare ur going thru. from what i heard, ur mirror should be a straightforward motor replacement. also, 1200 bucks is a little steep. even buying a new mirror dont cost tat much and it should be hell of a lot easier & cheaper to buy one and install it urself. sorry, just my 2 cents.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 AM
billygoat77
Junior User
@ Dom

I agree 100%. I am will be taking some time off next week for the rodeo so I may try and see if I can try another dealer. If that doesnt work then I will just wait a while for the price to come down on the mirror and do it myself. I did a mirror swap on a 2001 SD that I had and it was pretty easy. I would assume that the new style mirror is set up pretty close to the same way.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Yep. Moreover, u already have the plug and hookup. Just plug n play. Lol.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:53 PM
billygoat77
Junior User
So I am on the phone with the service department this morning and they tell me no problem we can get you in to do the mirror replacement and it should only be a day or two. I say great do you have a truck I can use until I get mine back. They say we have a fiesta. I say well that is fine but i don't think a fiesta will haul steel pipe and ladders to well on the roof and I dont think the front seat is going to like my 6 ft. tall 300lb body sufficating it. They say let me call you back and let you know if we can get you a truck as i hear him laughing a bit in the background from what I said. Well at least they have a good sence of humor.

Quick Reply: Need Warranty help