1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Never realized how much attention these trucks get.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:29 PM
SilverTrucker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never realized how much attention these trucks get.

I took up a project about 4 years ago to customize an old honda, just generally make it look cool, dump lots of money into to chrome and have a fun, functional looker. Owned an 87 of the same model for about 14 years till times got tough and had to sell it. That bike gets a bit of attention but nothing like this truck.

I can barely even get out of a vehicle without someone asking me about the engine or what's been done to it or just saying "nice truck". I've only owned this thing 5 days now and already had someone trying to make me an offer on it. Some guy with a 90's model ranger bout hit someone changing lanes and cocking his neck to look at the thing and give me a thumbs up as we were heading down the highway.

Problem is, I see people on this forum doing all kinds of custom stuff that I just bought mine with, I can't hold a conversation with these people in person. We can pop the hood and grunt together, so I'm looking forward to learning more about all the things this forum can teach me. My bike, I know and I've put A Ton of elbow grease into so I take pride in it and the compliments I get on it. This truck, makes me feel guilty. I'm thinking "yeah, that last guy did some nice touches on this thing" but I pretty much nod.

The girls at the drive thru are smiling at me, even one of the guys at a drive thru asked if it had a 460 in it. I'm thinking how the hell would he have any idea. Then me made the comment "so it passes everything but a gas station right?"

Now motorcyclists have this little wave thing some of em do to each other. My roommate drives a (don't laugh) mx5 or six, I forget but it's a miata basically and they've got their own little wave ritual going on.

So you guys got some secret handshake I need to know about when I'm here longer?

Great forum, appreciate you guys fielding my newbie questions, now to bump my missing cat post.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 PM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Basically you can tell a Dentside owner by his bleeding knuckles and greasy hands. Seriously, congrats on the ride. Sounds like you got a really nice one.

Not long after I got my Crew Cab I was a a gas station and a guy at the next pump came over and offered me $5000 for it (I only paid $1000 for it). I probably should have taken it. This was around 1995 and honestly the pick up didn't look that great. The paint was faded and worn completely off in some places, it had dents in it, etc., but it still got compliments. I'm just days away from having it back on the road after a repaint. I can't wait to see the look on the face of the guy I bought it from!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I think old iron gets respect because most people know how much input it takes to keep the on the road. Nowadays we have vehicles that are treated like tissues.. use them once and throw them away. Sure they're reliable, get better gas mileage, and have all the creature comforts but old rigs are what cowboys, hunters, and men (and women) of tougher character and hands-on know how like to have. Why? Because we can... we have the tools upstairs and the tools at the end of our arms.

If you ever get any flak about these rigs, tell them it is actually more environmentally friend to fix and repair than to keep buying 4,500 pounds of material (steel, rubber, plastics, and the energy to create that material, etc,) every few years. Our trucks were built once (one-time labor and material input) and repairing them takes but a few parts.. recycled or remanufactured parts at that. So, who is actually "greener" over the lifetime of our truck? 4,500 pounds from the 1970s.. or new truck every every 8 years (22,500 pounds)??

In terms of gas mileage, tell them like I do that it's a hybrid...it burns gasoline and oil.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
I get compliments on my truck and honestly it's a lotta rough at the moment. More than this guy with a built El Camino at my school. I guess there is hope for this nations youth haha

Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 PM
73ferdf250highboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I think old iron gets respect because most people know how much input it takes to keep the on the road. Nowadays we have vehicles that are treated like tissues.. use them once and throw them away. Sure they're reliable, get better gas mileage, and have all the creature comforts but old rigs are what cowboys, hunters, and men (and women) of tougher character and hands-on know how like to have. Why? Because we can... we have the tools upstairs and the tools at the end of our arms.

If you ever get any flak about these rigs, tell them it is actually more environmentally friend to fix and repair than to keep buying 4,500 pounds of material (steel, rubber, plastics, and the energy to create that material, etc,) every few years. Our trucks were built once (one-time labor and material input) and repairing them takes but a few parts.. recycled or remanufactured parts at that. So, who is actually "greener" over the lifetime of our truck? 4,500 pounds from the 1970s.. or new truck every every 8 years (22,500 pounds)??

In terms of gas mileage, tell them like I do that it's a hybrid...it burns gasoline and oil.

absolutely!

i have always wanted a highboy since i was a kid & when the day comes that i cant climb into her, i'll put her out to pasture where she will be my favorite lawn ornament.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:24 PM
willh108
New User
Congrats on the new buy! I just bought my grandpa's '79 f250 that he has owned since it was original, i got really lucky with this one because he keeps his equipment in immaculate condition, (ex army and life long farmer/seed salesman, know's how important it is to keep your machinery in good shape). I had mentioned to him before that i was interested in buying it if he ever decided to sell it. well, a couple of weeks ago he had a guy that had seen his truck in another farmers field about two years ago, and didn't have time to stop when he initially saw it. Two years went by and he finally tracked my grandpa down and offered him a price, i told him i'de match it so he obviously chose to sell it to me. But he said he gets questions about it and thumbs up all of the time and the occasional offers for it so your definitely not the only one out there!

Anybody know if these things are good at picking up chicks??? my harley does a pretty good job but when i'm cruising in my new truck i gotta know that it can get the job done!!!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by willh108
Congrats on the new buy! I just bought my grandpa's '79 f250 that he has owned since it was original, i got really lucky with this one because he keeps his equipment in immaculate condition, (ex army and life long farmer/seed salesman, know's how important it is to keep your machinery in good shape). I had mentioned to him before that i was interested in buying it if he ever decided to sell it. well, a couple of weeks ago he had a guy that had seen his truck in another farmers field about two years ago, and didn't have time to stop when he initially saw it. Two years went by and he finally tracked my grandpa down and offered him a price, i told him i'de match it so he obviously chose to sell it to me. But he said he gets questions about it and thumbs up all of the time and the occasional offers for it so your definitely not the only one out there!

Anybody know if these things are good at picking up chicks??? my harley does a pretty good job but when i'm cruising in my new truck i gotta know that it can get the job done!!!
More better if it's an auto-tranny... The GF doesn't take it kindly when I have to shift the NP435 into 2nd or 4th between her legs.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Had a note on my truck wanting to buy it yesterday, no shnit.
Happens ALL the time.
Wouldn't have a Mercedes if you gave it to me.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 PM
73ferdf250highboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
More better if it's an auto-tranny... The GF doesn't take it kindly when I have to shift the NP435 into 2nd or 4th between her legs.
too funny! my wife doesn't like it either

yes girls love them. the college girls across street from my house always want to drive it when it's sloppy at our local mud hole. she has some kind of turdbox import truck.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverTrucker
I can barely even get out of a vehicle without someone asking me about the engine or what's been done to it or just saying "nice truck".
Get use to it.

My truck is but one of about 35-40 dents regularly seen around my small town (pop. 2,800) and it still manages to elicit a "nice truck" or "thumbs up" every few weeks.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I unfortunately only attention I get are from people I know, those who see the hood open, those who hear the tires squealing, or the police (they love the sound of my truck, and give me a thumbs up). Because for now, my 79 looks like a normal dent on the outside. Everyone and their brothers own one around here, which is funny because most of them own a prius or other economy car and give me crap when I'm driving my 87 around for not being eco friendly, and yet they have dents just like me

You scored a great looking truck. It sure would be a heard turner around here.

Jameson

Old 01-31-2013, 12:05 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jgavac
I unfortunately only attention I get are from people I know, those who see the hood open, those who hear the tires squealing, or the police (they love the sound of my truck, and give me a thumbs up). Because for now, my 79 looks like a normal dent on the outside. Everyone and their brothers own one around here, which is funny because most of them own a prius or other economy car and give me crap when I'm driving my 87 around for not being eco friendly, and yet they have dents just like me

You scored a great looking truck. It sure would be a heard turner around here.
Read my post above.. then tell those hypocrites to go pound sand.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM
lurch460
Senior User
I haven'y seen the truck in a couple years, but there was a local guy with a nice 79lifted f150, think he drove it daily, he would salute me. It was funny the first couple times, then I started saluting back. Then I wouldsee more dentsand they would salute, so it caught on in the area. Barely see dents around here anymore, other than in show car season. I aim to change that, want to start daily drivingmine again.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 AM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I get the complements every time I drive her, Thumbs up, Questions, "Nice truck" I even had a biker pull up next to me and say "Very Nice..." I was doing some work at the Fire Station not too long ago and parked my truck in the back by the hose tower, I came out and found 2 shifts (6 fire fighters) checking out my truck pretty thoroughly. I usually always wave at other dents driving around if they look like they have been kept up to some degree. I'll even wave at a nice Bowtie or Mopar if it is really cared for. My wife thinks I'm silly and usually rolls her eyes at me each time I do something with my truck but every now and then I can get her to take a drive with me. She knows its a sweet truck.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 AM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've gotten quite a bit of windows rolled down at stop lights complimenting my truck and teenagers yelling "sweet truck". A bunch of "rubber neckers". One day I pulled into the FORD dealer here and a guy came out and had to check it out, take pics and he wanted to show his wife what "his" would look like fixed up. I joking said that he could have it on even trade for a 2013 F250 Crew Cab 4x4. He laughed and said...." for what you have into it, I'm sure it would be a deal, but my manager wouldn't go for it".

Quick Reply: Never realized how much attention these trucks get.