1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

insurance for towing

Old 01-29-2013, 01:47 PM
383lightning
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
insurance for towing

does anyone have collector insurance that allows you to tow a trailer?

or maybe regular insurance, with an agreed value, that will allow you to tow?

I tried most of the common collector insurance and they all say no.

maybe someone knows what regular insurance is easy to work with getting agreed value?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:45 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Interesting question. I wonder if Hagerty or similar would allow towing a "nostalgia" trailer (like a teardrop) if they wrote a separate policy on it, and it was only for taking the trailer to allowed events?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Standard vehicle insurance (non-collector) is pretty much the only that allows towing a trailer. Your collector vehicle would have to be insured under a standard policy. You can also insure the trailer through the standard policy.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:47 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Never thought about it. I towed my 8N behind my F-2 a few years ago to a local power show. I didn't think about insurance but after I started out I wondered how in the world people used these trucks to pull anything way back when they were new. I could hardly keep up with traffic and barely made it up the coupld of hills I encountered.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:49 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My standard insurance always includes the trailer and/or on the liability. That is for damage caused to someone else's property, not mine. I'm pretty confident I can tow something and not damage it or the trailer. If you are hauling an expensive relic, the insurance on it should cover but that's up to individual carriers I guess.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:11 AM
56fromm
Freshman User
Mines the same as willowbilly3

Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 AM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Interesting question. I wonder if Hagerty or similar would allow towing a "nostalgia" trailer (like a teardrop) if they wrote a separate policy on it, and it was only for taking the trailer to allowed events?
I have hagerty and I asked this specific question (I have an interest in getting a vintage teardrop airstream or a slightly newer airstream that looks vintage). And hagerty's answer flat out across the board was you tow means no insurance.

They also said flat out across the board no commercial use, etc etc - basically what they have in writing at the front (no tow, no commercial, etc) they stand by even if you insure the whole package with them.

I have Geico on my regular wheels, and I tried to get geico to insure it for things hagerty wouldn't (i.e. tow) and geico's flat out across the board was we insure anything you have with the required for colorado, when you purchase a new, or first register UNLESS it has insurance of any kind through another carrier. As soon as you put a hagerty policy on, geico covers nothing what-so-ever.

So not that I am going to go around broadcasting my activities or doing it regularly, but when I tow I am uninsured.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
As I recall, GEICO won't insure old cars/trucks anyway, at least not with collision coverage. I used to have Allstate on my truck and they covered it the same as any other truck, but they won't do stated value.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts
GEICO did insure my F5 with full collision coverage (not agreed upon value) for a short time before putting it on my Hagerty policy. I did this because Hagerty wouldn't isnsure it until it was under cover.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Worked with my State Farm agent and got to a stated value full coverage policy for about $200 / year with the ability to suspend coverage during months of non-use (think snowy weather time).

DW

Old 01-30-2013, 06:54 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Worked with my State Farm agent and got to a stated value full coverage policy for about $200 / year with the ability to suspend coverage during months of non-use (think snowy weather time).

DW
I'm going round-n-round with my SF agent. Is your truck covered under their "antique or classic motor vehicle" classification?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Keep in mind that every state's insurance policy has different regulations. So, what is acceptable coverage in one state is not available in another.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by FortyNiner

DW
Do you suspend just liability? I have my trucks insure for agreed upon value, I think the F-2 is $6000 and the panel is $7000. I keep full coverage all year round. I have all three in a pole building in the back of the farm. I've had a building collapse once and had some cows trapped for a while. The pole building I have the trucks in is relatively new, about 20 years old, but like year round coverage just for piece of mind.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:54 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Do you suspend just liability? I have my trucks insure for agreed upon value, I think the F-2 is $6000 and the panel is $7000. I keep full coverage all year round. I have all three in a pole building in the back of the farm. I've had a building collapse once and had some cows trapped for a while. The pole building I have the trucks in is relatively new, about 20 years old, but like year round coverage just for piece of mind.
Yes. I have three vehicles (which includes my '56 that is apart) that the liability is suspended on, but the comprehensive is intact. So if they are stolen or damaged in a fire they are covered. However I dare not take them on the road. Unless, of course, on the back of a trailer.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by carnut122
I'm going round-n-round with my SF agent. Is your truck covered under their "antique or classic motor vehicle" classification?
Actually no. We started down that path and found it to be too expensive. Rather, we ended up with a limited mileage policy with a stated value assignment.

Panelman is correct. Insurance is regulated at the state level and variations are the norm. Having said that, I would expect that most of these policies are covered through re-insurance agreements. There may be some hope.

Good luck.

DW

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: insurance for towing