Sponsored by: DP Tuner

bully dog gt tuner prob

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Noisyboy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bully dog gt tuner prob

ok so heres the deal, i got this bullydog gt tuner for 200 b/n.so i coundnt pass it up. but i have heard bad things an im haven prob. so i hooked it up an i drove it around with out donloading the power tuner for it to see how much boost i was putting out an it was 20psi. so i downloaded the power tuner an its only telling me im only putting out 15 psi of boost. but it dose feel faster. so when i go to put it in tow, performanc or extream mod it still only said 15psi but still increased the power but then i get a cel light an i loss power an only read 9 or 10 psi of boost. the codes i get are p0238, p1249 an some times a p1211. only other mods are 6637 an 4in straight pipe an screwed in wastgate rod.
also never had cel come on befor.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Noisyboy
Freshman User
any thought guys i know its not the best tuner but i thought i would try it for 200 bucks. but if i dont figure it out ill just sell it. an buy some gauges which is prob what i should do but i really would like to know the prob

Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Sell it.... Buy custom tunes if you can. If you can't and are stuck with it your going to need to get a boost fooler because the computer is seeing too much boost and it's defueling the engine... Think of it as kind of a limp mode... Gauges gauges gauges

Edit: if it's seeing enough boost to defuel the engine then that boost gauge is wrong

Old 02-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
can't say anything about the boost but I bought a BD 6 position tuner for $150.00, had it reprogrammed by Gearhead for $175.00. Might give a thought to going that route as well. Plus I believe if you do further work to your truck re-tuning is free with them.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:10 PM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
My boss's dad bought a Bully Dog (even though we tried to talk him out of it) and he had a problem with it when he tried to put the truck back to stock to sell it. The truck had no power, would barely even move. He called the company and they could not get the truck back to stock. What they ended up doing was to leave the tune/flash in the truck and were able to get his tuner unlocked again so he could move it to another vehicle. He said customer support was great and he was on the phone for hours with them getting it figured out. My suggestion would be to give them a call and they can probably get the problem figured out for you.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Noisyboy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
Sell it.... Buy custom tunes if you can. If you can't and are stuck with it your going to need to get a boost fooler because the computer is seeing too much boost and it's defueling the engine... Think of it as kind of a limp mode... Gauges gauges gauges

Edit: if it's seeing enough boost to defuel the engine then that boost gauge is wrong
ok were am i able to get a boost fooler. an ya i know i need gauges. but its od how when i dont download the power programe it is reading normal boost leavels. but when i download the programer its totally diffrent which dont make sense. but im just so curious why it is doing this. ya i know i should get gauges i realy should.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Noisyboy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Texas Chain Ring
can't say anything about the boost but I bought a BD 6 position tuner for $150.00, had it reprogrammed by Gearhead for $175.00. Might give a thought to going that route as well. Plus I believe if you do further work to your truck re-tuning is free with them.
ya thanks i will keep that in thought but im just so curious what is the prob. it would be nice to find out but like i said i prob end up selling it an gettim gauges an a better tuner. but i would really like to figure it out

Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Noisyboy
ok were am i able to get a boost fooler. an ya i know i need gauges. but its od how when i dont download the power programe it is reading normal boost leavels. but when i download the programer its totally diffrent which dont make sense. but im just so curious why it is doing this. ya i know i should get gauges i realy should.
Just about any time you need anything check here Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: Powerstroke Parts | Ford Diesel Parts | Ford - 99-03 Super Duty 7.3L clay is an awesome guy with customer service that's second to none.
I cannot be 100% sure but a good hunch is telling me it's doing that because its defueling...
Just incase I forgot the first time... You should really get some gauges...

Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Noisyboy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GonzoCSU
My boss's dad bought a Bully Dog (even though we tried to talk him out of it) and he had a problem with it when he tried to put the truck back to stock to sell it. The truck had no power, would barely even move. He called the company and they could not get the truck back to stock. What they ended up doing was to leave the tune/flash in the truck and were able to get his tuner unlocked again so he could move it to another vehicle. He said customer support was great and he was on the phone for hours with them getting it figured out. My suggestion would be to give them a call and they can probably get the problem figured out for you.
well i know i am still able to go back to stock cuz i have done it already cuz im not wanting to mess anything up. but i should prob give them a call an see what they said. cuz for what i have read throw a p1211 has to do with my hpop. an throw a p1249 is saying that the wastgate is failing an the turbo is over boosting

Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1211 just means your not seeing hp oil pressure that it expects to see...
Bad icp or sticky ipr i bet.
Look for oil in your icp connector.

Seeing a slough of icp's going bad lately.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Noisyboy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Christof13T
1211 just means your not seeing hp oil pressure that it expects to see...
Bad icp or sticky ipr i bet.
Look for oil in your icp connector.

Seeing a slough of icp's going bad lately.
ok ill check my icp connector an see if theres oil. but how do i check to see if my ipr is stickin?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 PM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Those 3 codes are being caused by your tuner. All three of them are very common when using a big tune and very common on the bully dog. Just google search those 3 codes, you will find tons of forum posts of guys putting a chip on then getting those same codes. Basically you are getting overboost and your hpop can't maintain the desired pressure. Pretty much normal codes on with tunes, unless your tuner supresses the codes. I would still suggest a DP or PHP.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Noisyboy
Freshman User
ok **** it im going to just sell this thing an get something diffrent