89 7.3 F350 Dump Truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
89 7.3 F350 Dump Truck

Hello Folks,

I have never been down this far so I would like to say HI before I bombard you with questions.

I have a customer that owes me quite a bit of $$ for some work I have done on his other truck. He has a 89 F-350 dump truck, its a 4x4 with an auto trans, and has the 7.3 in it, also its a dually if that matters.

He is willing to give me the truck and some money, but the truck has a few issues that I would like some answers to before I make a decsison.

He says the only way it will start is if its plugged in and he gives it a spray of silicone, he says he replaced the glow plugs, apparantly used MotorCraft plugs, and also the Glow plug relay, he used a NAPA one.

He says the fuel guage doesnt work, and he blew a tire and messed up the filler neck for that tank, says the rear works fine and he drives by the miles.

Its going to need cab corners and rockers, which I can do myself. I am just curious how readily available body parts are for this thing, and who are you using. I restored a K20 and everyone uses classic industires brother etc, just wondering on the older FORDS who the go to folks are.

It needs tires, and I have 4 brand new 285/65/16s here at the shop, so I was wondering if they will fit...not sure being that its a dually. so I would only have to buy 2 tires for it if these do fit.

So the only reservations I have is it needs a dump body...its pretty rotted, and as long as the frame is good, which it looks to be but I only had a quick look at it, I may jump on the deal. Ity has a 8' plow on it which looks good and operates normally. The only reason I am really considering it is I think I can make some extra $$ with it hauling top soil/mulch/firewood, and my 85 K20 plow truck is shot, the cab is about to come off the frame, and I had to put a wood flat bed on it lastyear cause it rotted off, the engine started knocking, and the brakes stopped working.

So my dilema is do I take on the dump truck or keep the 85 K20 and just nurse it along. Im hoping the starting issue is kinda simple, the rust issues well we deal with that all the time up here, so someone whos good with the old school diesels please shed some light.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Sarge

Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
this is a tough one.
is it worth it? for the problems you descrided, i would not give him more than $1,000 for it. after driving it and knowing that is all that is wrong with it.

the glow plug problems could be something as simple as a bad ground.
fuel gauge could also be a bad ground, or a bad sender.
as for the cab rot, i usually just replace the cab with a good one.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Yeah Im not sure what to do either. He is going to drop it off for me to actually get a good look at it. I actually wasnt planning on giving him any money.

My problem is that I would either have to buy another plow truck...which no matter how shot people around here think they are gold plated. If I keep the 85 on the road it will need more work than the dump truck, so thats my pickle.

Im thinking when it gets here I will see if the glow plugs actually work, and then go from there. I know I can probly find a good used dump bosy for around 1500-2000 and as far as fixing or replacing the cab, well that depends how the underside is...if its shot then I will just rebuild the 85 or look for another truck.

Sarge

Old 01-28-2013, 03:57 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
this is a tough one.
is it worth it? for the problems you descrided, i would not give him more than $1,000 for it. after driving it and knowing that is all that is wrong with it.
Really? The king pin high pinion Dana 60 front diff is worth $1,000 by itself. Just parting it out and scrapping the rest you should be able to get around $3000 out of it.

Originally Posted by Sarge261
Yeah Im not sure what to do either. He is going to drop it off for me to actually get a good look at it. I actually wasnt planning on giving him any money.

My problem is that I would either have to buy another plow truck...which no matter how shot people around here think they are gold plated. If I keep the 85 on the road it will need more work than the dump truck, so thats my pickle.

Im thinking when it gets here I will see if the glow plugs actually work, and then go from there. I know I can probly find a good used dump bosy for around 1500-2000 and as far as fixing or replacing the cab, well that depends how the underside is...if its shot then I will just rebuild the 85 or look for another truck.

Sarge
Sarge I personally feel the F350 would be well worth sinking some time & cash into it. Unless it's totally beat, then it's still worth parting out. You won't find a truck much tougher then that one.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If anything, body parts for the bricks should be cheap, they never were really known for being a popular body style.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sarge,

The GP's and fuel gauge are most likely easy fixes we can talk you through. With some work, any F series cab of compatible years can be made to work, (Gas or diesel). One thing nobody has mentioned, is with that Dana 60, and the 1200lbs of diesel motor (more than that with fluids) sitting on top of it, this truck will plow like your 85 never did! I'd take the chance on it, and scrap it out if it quits or rusts away on you. As stated, The front axle will fetch 1k in any market.

Good luck, and welcome to the IDI forum.

Mac.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
depends on what he owes ya i suppose.might be better off holding off for the cash Sarge.
those tires are too wide most likely even for the cab n chassis slightly wider rim.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Thanks for all the replies guys....well he is going to owe me about 2 grand or so. Hes the 1 that brought up the barter, and it just so happens that the 85 K20 died so I figured it was a win win for me.

I do alot of diesel work so the mechanical is not a big deal for me, I just dont do alot of IDI work, and well the 85 K20 would need the same if not more body work becuase the frame is rotted.

I have a few pictures of it so I will post them up here soon. Like I said it will need a dump body I had it up and well its shot. Still works but its rear rough so I will keep my eyes out for a used 1 I guess.

Pics to come,

Sarge

Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Heres some pics:

Attached Images      
Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly... That trucks in similar shape as mine lol. Who cares what it looks like!!! Its a work truck for cryin out loud lol. Fix what needs fixed and drive it til it wont go no more! That's the Ford motto.

If you decide you don't need it, part the thing out. Tons of useable parts on it. Someone would give ya a grand for the front end all day long, you could prolly get $400 for that dually rear, those mirrors are worth $50 to the right person, that IDI is worth some money, so is the tranny. Im sure someone around here needs a t-case. Heck, Id be willing to buy the F-350 suspension off it! (cheap lift kit, when compared to a 250). I bet that plow could fetch another grand, and so could that rotten dump bed! Theres double your money back if your willing to put fourth the effort

Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Yeah thats what I figured I would do. I was going to fix it up becuase it will be my DD when I am done being chief. I do have my 06, but I dont really drive it that much. The reason why I would actually fix it up is the interior is mint.

I will keep you all posted as to the condition when I get a good look at it.

Sarge

Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
And those 285 definitely wont work. Will on the front though! I think, for some reason, I remember hearing a 245 is the widest you can run on duals? Im prolly wrong though

And what gear ratio does it have? If it has 4.10s, itd get similar to your 06. 3.55s and itd get a few mpgs better!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Yeah I figured but I was just crossing my fingers that they would cause I have 4 brand new Hankook Dyna Pros in that size. But I will get new tires if I need too...its got like 6 different tires on it lol.

Sarge

Old 01-29-2013, 08:54 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Them Hankooks are good tires too. Iv got a set on mine (M/Ts) and love em! Only problem is, both of my trucks have open diffs... so 4 wheel drive is essentially 2 wheel drive lol.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
That trucks looks pretty good. The box is rotted but otherwise it's in better shape then my 91!! It definitely looks like it's worth fixing.

Quick Reply: 89 7.3 F350 Dump Truck