Exhaust Quandary

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 PM
boondocksnt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Quandary

Hey Guys,

So I have a question and am open for input and knowledge.... I have a 69 F100 with a 390, single exhaust. I split the case on the exhaust (very rusted) and I love the weay it sounds. I am turning the trunk into a rat rod until im ready to do my fram off restore. Here is my question. I was going to run dual straight pipe exhaust, no muffler a local shop said they would do it for $150. Being a "Rat rod" I want it to have that loud exhaust. My wife however is concerned abotu pissing off the neighbors. Its my daily driver and I leave at 7am. I dont want to spend very much because in 18 months its all get ripped out and scrapped. I thought of dual exhaust with cherry bombs or walkers..... how can I have that loud rumble but still keep the wife and neighbors happy, and do it all for under $200??

Old 01-29-2013, 02:31 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i had long tube headers and about 4 feet of pipe on my 460 and it was LOUD and i mean LOUD. it made every mad at me. had it like that for about a month and had to put the mufflers back on.

what one of my friends did was buy a couple of different mufflers and glass packs then at the shop that was putting them on held each up to the end of the pipes to see how it sounded then returned the ones he didnt use.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
davewave649
Posting Guru
Ive got cheap Thrush Welded mufflers on my truck. I did most of the install myself when i did the headers and had Performance Exhaust (or Performance Muffler, i cant remember) in Saticoy bend the final pieces for where the exhaust dumps in front of the rear tires. Cost me $100 to have him do that bit. The mufflers cost something like $30 a piece off of summit so you might be able to get all of it done for about $200 if you buy your mufflers and have him finish it since hes local.

Those Thrush mufflers quite the truck down a bit on idle but its still loud when you step on it. Revved up the truck yesterday and set off a car alarm on a crappy import across the street. Mainly i went with them cuz they were cheap.

Ignore the slight exhaust leak...

I would go with glass packs if you want loud without pissing off the neighbors, another pricier option would be to pick up Spiral Flow mufflers, theyre quieter than straight pipes but not by much.

Go talk to Performance in Saticoy maybe he would have some suggestions.

Last edited by davewave649; 01-29-2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: added video
Old 01-29-2013, 07:40 PM
boondocksnt
Junior User
Dave, thanks for the info, Thats exactly what I am going for. I appreciate your help once again!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM
davewave649
Posting Guru
Yup!! Just did a quick search on those spiral flows. $55 a piece from summit. same profile as a glass pack but much much louder. 3dB quieter than open headers with the Moroso Spiral flows.

Keep in mind that if you're running manifolds as opposed to headers like then they wont sound quite as deep as mine does. My only gripe with the thrush welded mufflers is that they are painted as opposed to aluminized or stainless so they can be chipped easily. Still they sound good for the money in my opinion.

If you want the truck to sound a bit louder leave the exhaust at the back of the mufflers and dont rout it out from under the bed. Youll get more drone in the truck but it does sound a bit louder (my 63 set off car alarms in the school parking structure when i ran it like that). Personally i think they sound better when you route them out from under the bed, you hear more of the exhaust and less of the drone.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM
davewave649
Posting Guru
Ill upload a video of the truck before i rerouted the exhaust when i get back from class so you can hear the difference.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 PM
boondocksnt
Junior User
I was going to run dual and bring them out just before the rear tire with a 45 deg angle. This is all temp till I do the frame off. I dont have headers yet but I will after the rebuild. Im just trying to be cheap with the rat motif.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:25 PM
davewave649
Posting Guru
Thats what ive got on my truck, very happy with it. I want to add a crossover for an H-Pipe but that will be later on when i redo my headers, too many projects going right now to afford to do the headers like i want to

Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 PM
boondocksnt
Junior User
yeah when I do the frame up I want to add headers and a cross over as well. Im hoping to have all this done in the next month so I can start cruising it places. Do any of the local (ventura) guys ever get together?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 PM
davewave649
Posting Guru
Not as far as im aware. When may april-may come around the Cruise nights in Santa Paula start up. Theres a Facebook page for that. Trey and i usually go and i take the truck and put it in the "show" yours qualifies so you should go. Its pretty much just an anything goes laid back car show if you havent been before.

I live in IV for school so i'm only in ventura on certain weekends. But we should definitely start doing GTGs for us ventura county guys. Theres four of us i know of (You, me, trey, and sean) and i think there are actually a few more of us in Ventura.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 PM
boondocksnt
Junior User
I have been to the Santa Paula cruise nights. I will go with you guys when they start up again and bring my truck. Let me know if the rest of you guys want to get together we can even to a trip out to SB there are lots of great places out there.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM
davewave649
Posting Guru
Another regular cruise in Ventura is the coffee cruise Saturday mornings at Oldie's Speed Shop. Runs year round weather permitting. I went a while back and it had a decent turn out, supposedly theyre getting a much better turn out now. Plus free coffee and muffins is always a plus

And i can come down to Ventura for a GTG pretty much any weekend everyone agrees on.

Last edited by davewave649; 01-29-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-29-2013, 09:08 PM
boondocksnt
Junior User
I have never heard of Oldies Ill have to look into that one! Though i do need to get a little further along in my project, I haven't even finished cleaning the cobwebs off her..

Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 PM
davewave649
Posting Guru
Oldies is also on Facebook and they do regular updates as far as what weekends they are having the Coffee Cruise or not.

And it just takes time to get things cleaned up. A good washing, steam cleaning the engine and vacuuming out the interior goes a long way in figuring out where to start.

It will be helpful in the long run if you figure out exactly how you want things when its done. Getting a clear game plan will save you a few headaches later on. trust me ive redone more than a few things along the way and ive only had the truck 4 years.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 PM
boondocksnt
Junior User
I just checked them out, great place Ill be there soon! Thats why Im doing the rat rod thing while I put together the end product in my mind. Once I have that Ill be able to lay out a game plan and start moving. in the mean time ill have a nice little truck to roll around in.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Quandary