6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

coolant filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:52 PM
craypc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant filter

I am new to the diesel scene, just got a 06 f350 king ranch 6.0 psd. I have switched back to a stock air intake and i am thinking of getting a coolant filter.... Any thoughts or recommendations?

Old 01-25-2013, 05:58 PM
IABill
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Welcome to FTE Great group of folks here,
I used this one, Been happy with it:Sinister Coolant Filtration System / Filter Kit for Ford Powerstroke

Old 01-25-2013, 07:02 PM
PowerItUp
Freshman User
I used one from dieselsite.com. Very pleased with it. Whatever you get, make sure to get one with the ball valves.
http://www.dieselsite.com/2003-20076...waterpump.aspx

Old 01-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
I use and recommend the Dieselsite.com cooalnt filter set-up.

BTW, the pictures in the 6.0L section of the dieselsite.com website are ones I sent them after installing mine and seeing what it removed... and how pleased I was with the results (a picture is worth a 1,000 words).

Not everyone has as much "sand and gunk" to be removed... but if you do, it works!!!

All of the kits available basically all do the same thing and hook-up the same way... this is the best single "aftermarket" mod you can buy and install for your diesel truck!!!

Good luck,

Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
I use and recommend the Dieselsite.com cooalnt filter set-up.

BTW, the pictures in the 6.0L section of the dieselsite.com website are ones I sent them after installing mine and seeing what it removed... and how pleased I was with the results (a picture is worth a 1,000 words).

Not everyone has as much "sand and gunk" to be removed... but if you do, it works!!!

All of the kits available basically all do the same thing and hook-up the same way... this is the best single "aftermarket" mod you can buy and install for your diesel truck!!!

Good luck,
+1
I think I'm one of the lucky ones in that after 1000 miles the filter was virtually clean but I'm glad that it is still there

Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by smlford
+1
I think I'm one of the lucky ones in that after 1000 miles the filter was virtually clean but I'm glad that it is still there
Just remember that the coolant filter is a "by-pass" filter... so after 1,000 miles, you have only flowed 10% or so of your coolant through the filter... so it really is not 1,000 miles worth of filtering, but 10% of 1,000 miles or 100 miles (or so).

Also, if one's cooling system has any "deposits" in it, they will settle in the low sections of the cooling system and will only move upon the system being pressurized and up to temperature... so short driving does not really move the sediment through the system and into the filter (due to being a by-pass filter)... so longer trips with the cooling system up to temp and pressureized will flow more coolant through the by-pass filter.

I left my first filter on for 6,000 miles before I even replaced it or gave it a second thought.

Good luck to all... best mod developed for our diesels.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 AM
jebner
Freshman User
I gathered up my own pieces and parts and built my own. It was fun to make but only saved me 50 bucks... My brother went with a Sinister. It works pretty good.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:09 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
Just remember that the coolant filter is a "by-pass" filter... so after 1,000 miles, you have only flowed 10% or so of your coolant through the filter... so it really is not 1,000 miles worth of filtering, but 10% of 1,000 miles or 100 miles (or so).

Good luck to all... best mod developed for our diesels.
That's not quite right..
You are correct in that the bypass only flows 10% of the flow at any given time but at a given rate of "X" gallons per minute circulating throughout the cooling system it doesn't take many miles until virtually all the coolant has run through the filter.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by smlford
That's not quite right..
You are correct in that the bypass only flows 10% of the flow at any given time but at a given rate of "X" gallons per minute circulating throughout the cooling system it doesn't take many miles until virtually all the coolant has run through the filter.
True... to a degree...

As a by-pass filter system, we agree that it filters roughly 10% of the "flow" of the cooling system... but your assuming that as your running down the road that the "other 90%" will then be filtered on the next pass as part of the "next 10%"... or future 10%'s... it may or may not be... some of the coolant may never be "filtered"... until later on in the cycle or until the motor is driven for longer periods of time (such as several hours on the highway)???

Eventually, it will be... but slower than you may think. The assumption I am working off of is that some users see faster results than others for two reasons:

1) Their systems are dirtier, therefore more "sand and sediment" comes out?

2) They drove their truck on the highway longer and faster (greater coolant flow) over a given amount of time and mileage, which meant greater filtering capacity.

People that drive shorter trips may eventually rack up the mileage, but not enough "flow", pressure and such to move enough "10%" through the filter over the same mileage.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by IABill
Welcome to FTE Great group of folks here,
I used this one, Been happy with it:Sinister Coolant Filtration System / Filter Kit for Ford Powerstroke

ditto

and here is my 1st coolant filter after 1,000 miles. motor had only maybe 12,000 miles at the time. Currently at just under 15,000 miles. I plan on changing the coolant filter at around 5,000 miles of filtration. there was way more material present than I was comfortable with

Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I use the Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter. I like mine, just a note of caution, make sure you tighen all the fittings yourself, they may appear to be secured out of the box however, I got 1 & 1/2 turns out of one of the plugs and at least a full turn out of the others. Beyond that, it's been a good mod.

-Mark

Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM
superbad
New User
I personally run a coolant filter from Performance Machine & Manufacturing. I very happy with, it's made very well. But I wish I knew about this one from IPR before I bought the one I have.
I still may buy it one day soon. It's a little pricey but it maybe worth it.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I went with the one from Sinister Diesel and I did not see much the first 1000. The next one had some bits in it but still more or less clean.
The Ford shop I got the truck from had dome a top end head gasket and oil cooler on it and really flushed the junk out. This shop is
rated one of the better diesel shops around here. One thing to do is dump the coolant out into a clear glass and let it sit for a bit and
look for stuff.
A way to get a bit more flow out of the filter is to look in the center and you will see a plastic disk with a hole in it. Some people have
re-drilled the hole a bit bigger to get more flow. I have not done this.

Sean

Note : Post number #2496. #2500 is getting close

Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 PM
altruego
Junior User
I went with the dfuser.com filter. Installation was straight forward and components were high quality.

Last edited by altruego; 01-29-2013 at 08:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 on the lucky one,,, I put 582k on my truck before a rebuild, flushing with about 20 gal distilled water every 100k n lost two oil coolers in that time. It's crazy to see the pics of all that crap you guys are filtering outta the system. I don't have a coolant filter, and I opted to not put my new oil cooler on at rebuild time. That was 41k ago. But I have the new cooler just waiting for my deltas to tell me to change it. I'm one of the few lucky ones huh?

Quick Reply: coolant filter