2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

having major issues after replacing headers and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:32 PM
bionicseahorse
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
having major issues after replacing headers and exhaust

I replaced my headers and added slp loud mouth 2 side exit now my truck is throwing every evap code o2 codes and p0010 & p0020, There is 17 codes total. The headers are obx without cats. Stumped like crazy truck runs like poo idle like poo. Also added 80mm bbk throttle body and some brisk racing plugs with hot street coil packs. Truck run with all of that stuff fine but when i did the headers and cat back everything went wrong. Any advice guys??

Old 01-27-2013, 05:59 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you also eliminate the O2 sensors? Upstream and Downstream?

Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM
bionicseahorse
New User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Did you also eliminate the O2 sensors? Upstream and Downstream?

No I only extended the wires on the o2 sensors.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 PM
curtk69
Freshman User
i heard one guy in your position extended the wires on a long tube header setup, he screwed the o2 sensors into a drilled out plug or threaded reducer , making a sort of restrictor plug for the o2 sensor so less exhaust gas passes by the o2 and doesnt mess up the fuel air ratio.

know what i mean

Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM
bionicseahorse
New User
Originally Posted by curtk69
i heard one guy in your position extended the wires on a long tube header setup, he screwed the o2 sensors into a drilled out plug or threaded reducer , making a sort of restrictor plug for the o2 sensor so less exhaust gas passes by the o2 and doesnt mess up the fuel air ratio.

know what i mean
Ok so I found the problem. After reading a few threads another guy had the same codes he found a blown fuse in slot 32 which is for the evap o2 heaters and maf and intake accuator. I replaced the 15 amp fuse and bam problem solved hope this helps anyone having a crazy amount of codes being thrown.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM
curtk69
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bionicseahorse
I replaced my headers and added slp loud mouth 2 side exit now my truck is throwing every evap code o2 codes and p0010 & p0020, There is 17 codes total. The headers are obx without cats. Stumped like crazy truck runs like poo idle like poo. Also added 80mm bbk throttle body and some brisk racing plugs with hot street coil packs. Truck run with all of that stuff fine but when i did the headers and cat back everything went wrong. Any advice guys??
so you installed headers w/o cats and are now not throwing any codes or dash lights?
you just inslalled the o2 sensors into the exhaust pipes?
got any pics?
long or short tube headers?

just asking cuz i have longtube headers coming and not sure how to setup the cats or if i shud even try

Old 01-28-2013, 03:19 PM
bionicseahorse
New User
so you installed headers w/o cats and are now not throwing any codes or dash lights?
you just inslalled the o2 sensors into the exhaust pipes?
got any pics?
long or short tube headers?

just asking cuz i have longtube headers coming and not sure how to setup the cats or if i shud even try
Im not sure how to get pictures on here but they are obx longtube headers without cats they have places for the o2 sensors, no im not throwing any codes yet but it will after putting a few miles on the truck. I had to extend the o2 sensors so they would reach the plugs all you will need is some wire, solder and whatever you want to wrap the wires with. I do have to tell you this tho, the driver side is pretty simple to drop and put in but the passenger side is a bitch you will have to remove the starter and jack the motor up to pull the manifold out.

I dont think im going to do the bypass on the o2 sensors because this weekend I will install the supercharger and have the truck tuned. The tune will handle the deleting the 02's computer wise.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 AM
curtk69
Freshman User
Im not sure how to get pictures on here but they are obx longtube headers without cats they have places for the o2 sensors, no im not throwing any codes yet but it will after putting a few miles on the truck. I had to extend the o2 sensors so they would reach the plugs all you will need is some wire, solder and whatever you want to wrap the wires with. I do have to tell you this tho, the driver side is pretty simple to drop and put in but the passenger side is a bitch you will have to remove the starter and jack the motor up to pull the manifold out.

I dont think im going to do the bypass on the o2 sensors because this weekend I will install the supercharger and have the truck tuned. The tune will handle the deleting the 02's computer wise.
wow, so both the motor mounts needs to be unhooked and whole engine lifted up? what about tranny mount, does it need disconnecting too?

and the starter has to go too?
what about the passenger inner fender liner?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 AM
bionicseahorse
New User
wow, so both the motor mounts needs to be unhooked and whole engine lifted up? what about tranny mount, does it need disconnecting too?

and the starter has to go too?
what about the passenger inner fender liner?

The tranny mount I never touched. Just the passenger side motor mount which is two bolts 13/15 is the socket I think. Just put a jack on the transmission come from the driver side so its not in the way when you are removing the manifold and installing the headers. The starter which is three bolts has to be removed they are 13mm you will need a wrench here. The fender liner will be ok but I modified mine a bit to help reach in there when I pulled the studs out of the block which those are 5mm. If I could do It all over again knowing what I know now I could do the job start to finish in 4 hours full exhaust.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:07 PM
curtk69
Freshman User
The tranny mount I never touched. Just the passenger side motor mount which is two bolts 13/15 is the socket I think. Just put a jack on the transmission come from the driver side so its not in the way when you are removing the manifold and installing the headers. The starter which is three bolts has to be removed they are 13mm you will need a wrench here. The fender liner will be ok but I modified mine a bit to help reach in there when I pulled the studs out of the block which those are 5mm. If I could do It all over again knowing what I know now I could do the job start to finish in 4 hours full exhaust.
so you jacked up on the tranny case once motor mount was disconnected?
any tips on removing exhaust manifold studs/nuts any break?