6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How hard of a job is replacing the Idler and tensioner UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
How hard of a job is replacing the Idler and tensioner UPDATE

I was doing some looking the other day and found rust on the
idler and tensioner . I have not had time to take the load off the belt
and see what is loose. The only other thing down there is the A/C clutch.
I will get the idler and tensioner set and maybe the clutch if it can
be changed with out a load of tools. I'll replace the belt while I am in there.

How much time am I looking at for the average guy and how much for book time?

When I was looking it over it almost looks like you can change it with
out removing the shroud and fan. Can that be done ?

Also while I was looking I found I have a bad tie-rod. Looks like time for both ends on that.

Sean

Old 01-27-2013, 06:12 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Replace Serpentine Tensioner Warrenty 1.2HRS, Standard 1.9HRS
Add .2 to change idler at the same time

I would say the average person should be able to get the done in 2-3 HRS tops. Someone that has done these can get in done in 30 MINS or less

No need to remove fan shroud or fan. Look at the new tensioner you will notice a lock on it. If you pull up on the belt by the ALT you can engauge that lock on the old one, makes it easy to change the belt. Once new belt is in and new tensioner pull up on belt again to dissingauge the lock.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The hardest part for me is getting the belt off, that is a tough spring on that tensioner. If you are strong enough and the little latch is still there you can pull up/out on the belt and if the spring isn't sprung the latch will slip in place and hold the tenioner and you can slide the belt off.

The rest is pretty straight forward. You do not have to be a contorsionest but it helps. It can all come out from between the engine and stator.

A tip before ya go to insall the tensioner, hold it in a vise and preload it and set the latch. Some replacement tensioners [aftermarket] do not have the latch. In which case all this is academic.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:27 AM
texans
Postmaster
All the ones I have installed come with the latch and it is engauged when I got them. Also quick note here, reading the previous post, sounds like he is saying the spring latch will engauge it's self. This is not the case. The spring will make the latch auto dissengauge will the pressure is removed. In other words when you pull the belt up you will have to hold it with one hand and use the other to push the latch in. I'm sure the last poster was trying to come about saying the same thing, but I thought I would clear that up.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 AM
texans
Postmaster
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Originally Posted by texans
All the ones I have installed come with the latch and it is engauged when I got them.
+1.

Changing the tensioner is pretty easy - you should EASILY beat the times mentioned above IMO. In fact, I remove it when I change the belt - it just makes the belt change job go easier.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guess I been unlucky then or else we got somebody around here who likes to unload em, may think it's funny. I do know that over half of the aftermarket ones I have insalled were not loaded which is why I mentioned it in the first place.

You arent wrong and neithe am I we just experienced different things. No 2 diffeent people are going to experience exactly the same things.

Mebe I just have to work on more junk. LOL

Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 AM
texans
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dannyboy950
Guess I been unlucky then or else we got somebody around here who likes to unload em, may think it's funny. I do know that over half of the aftermarket ones I have insalled were not loaded which is why I mentioned it in the first place.

You arent wrong and neithe am I we just experienced different things. No 2 diffeent people are going to experience exactly the same things.

Mebe I just have to work on more junk. LOL
Oh yeah, sorry if it came across worng. I didn't mean to say your wrong. Just that I haven't seen one that doesn't come with the latch. I guess you learn somthing new every day

Old 01-27-2013, 02:44 PM
IHbase
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same issue. Mike makes a bit of noise for a while at startup if it has been sitting. How many bolts hold the tensioner assembly on? When you guys say "pull up on the belt near the alt" how in the heck do you do that? By hand? The belt tension always seems so high- I just use a 3/8 ratchet inserted into hole on the idler arm and with an extension, rotate the tensioner away from the belt. You way sounds easier. What am I missing? -Mike

Old 01-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by IHbase
I have the same issue. Mike makes a bit of noise for a while at startup if it has been sitting. How many bolts hold the tensioner assembly on? When you guys say "pull up on the belt near the alt" how in the heck do you do that? By hand? The belt tension always seems so high- I just use a 3/8 ratchet inserted into hole on the idler arm and with an extension, rotate the tensioner away from the belt. You way sounds easier. What am I missing? -Mike
It's a 1/2" square that fits in the tensioner recess.

Josh

Old 01-27-2013, 03:38 PM
texans
Postmaster
Originally Posted by IHbase
It's hard to get on the square on the tensioner with a rachet. I find it much easier to just pull up on the belt. I usally use a small steep ladder and stand in front of the passenger fender well to pull up (by hand) with one hand and lock it with the other. I have sometimes just put a knee on the passenger battery and done it from up top too.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 PM
IHbase
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
It's a 1/2" square that fits in the tensioner recess.

Josh
Yeah- you are correct. I just remember that it is tricky to line up... -Mike

Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 PM
IHbase
Elder User
Originally Posted by texans
It's hard to get on the square on the tensioner with a rachet. I find it much easier to just pull up on the belt. I usally use a small steep ladder and stand in front of the passenger fender well to pull up (by hand) with one hand and lock it with the other. I have sometimes just put a knee on the passenger battery and done it from up top too.

I'll try that next time. Sounds faster than the way I do it. How many fasteners on the tensioner assembly? And what does that assembly cost? -Mike

Old 01-27-2013, 04:21 PM
texans
Postmaster
IIRC there around $80

There are two bolts that hold it in

Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
IHbase
Elder User
Got it. Thanks. I should add it to the winter shop list. That cold start noise can not be good. -Mike

Quick Reply: How hard of a job is replacing the Idler and tensioner UPDATE