Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
DIES WONT RESTART Got the truck Now wont start

Guys I know you guys can save me here

My MILaw Truck 1992 ranger isnt running good and I need to get it going

Only a P0111 at this time IIRC

We started the truck tonight and idel ok Could see the moter Stumble every so often

She went to drive it and it Cuts out under Load Or you must rev it up to keep it from Stalling

And if it does Cut out you have to let it sit for 5 minutes to restart what is Weird is it dont Smell Flooded either I smelled the VAC Line to the FPR and it was DRY and Did NOT Smell like Fuel

It was dark didnt do much trouble shoot as the Flashlight died

I wonder about Fuel Filters

And Also about the Idel Control

The Mis or Stumble seams Random

If you guys know of any testing I can do I have a DVM and that Code Reader
Might have to find something to check fuel press with where would I check it at the fuel rail I assume

Going to try and go over the Basics tommorrow If there is Anything Specific I should check Let me Know

Thanks for your Help

Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What engine do you have in your Ranger? How many miles are on the truck? How current is it on routine maintenance, things like plugs, wires, etc.?

Check the IAC (Idle Air Control valve) for carbon build-up. If dirty, clean with a plastic safe cleaner - not carb cleaner. Check the MAF (Mass Air Flow) unit. If dirty, clean with a specific, MAF cleaner.

Give us more information.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Which engine does this puppy have????
Use your fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the fuel rail schrader valve test port & your inductive timing light, to determine if its fuel or spark thats going missing when it stalls & won't restart.
Right now, without more clues, it sorta sounds like the random stumble may be spark related.
Where is the vehicle on ALL past & present due scheduled maintenance replacement items, like plugs, wires, fuel & air filters, distributor cap & rotor if it has that, O2 sensors, ect????

Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Sorrey Guys I know we need more Info going to try and check over good tomorrow

IDK the Miles IIRC she said around 200K

She said she had never changed fuel filter yet but only had the truck a Year and dont know what previous owner had done

Plan to check and clean IAC

And I do Have some of that MAF sensor specific Cleaner so will do that as well

Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Is there a Sticker or something on the engine I can figure what Year for shure and what Type Engine it Has

Pretty shure it was a 6 Cylinder truck so would that make it a 4.0L??

I will get more info and report back regaurdless and post the Fix if/when I find out so the Thread wont be open ended

Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 AM
michigan66
Posting Guru
If you are certain that the engine is a 6 cyl., then it could be either a 3.0 or 4.0 liter engine. The VIN should tell you which it is.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 AM
pawpaw
You could run the vehicles VIN # through FTE's vin decoder to find how it was delivered from the factory. Also the sticker on the door will have codes for the engine, tranny, differential, paint, trim, ect, that might be helpful or interesting info.
If it has a V6, it could be the 3.0L Vulcan, or 4.0L Colonge engine, but both usually have a designation on the valve covers, or intake manafold & the VIN number will also tell.

Since at this point the vehicles maintenance history is unknown, everything I listed above probably belongs on your suspect list.

Probably a good idea to change the fuel filter, if its not known when it was done last.

When cleaning the MAF sensor, remove it for cleaning, make sure to wait until its cool, don't touch it with the spray wand & keep it squeeky clean upon reinstallation.

On cleaning the IAC, use the plastic safe MAF cleaner & keep the electrical connector end & the little black cap elevated, so the spray solvents don't get into them, as they may damage the solenoids insulation, or the air filter under the black cap. You just want to remove any crud around the IAC internal rod & valve seat.
If your having problems with the IAC, cleaning may not last, it didn't for me on my 99 Ranger & is probably why Ford recommends replacement when they act out, but cleaning was a good trouble shooting step for me.

Let us know what you find.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
thats a Great Idea on the Vin decoder Thanks PawPaw

Dont look like I will make it back to the truck today so might be a Day or two

And Not knowing the Maintenence history shure is going to make it harder

The Best thing might be to start off with a Compleate Tune-up but IDK if she can afford it at the Present time Plus the Clutch Fluid leaks and needs to be toped off every so often

So I am thinking to just Replace Fuel Filter then Pull the Spark Plugs clean and inspect

I know it got a Water Pump and maybe thermostat a few months Back but thats all I know for now

The Whole Backside of the Moter Looked like it had been leaking from the Valve covers and all the Way Down Thats what I noticed last night trying to see where the clutch fluid was leaking from

Thanks for your help
I will report back soon

Old 01-27-2013, 03:40 PM
pawpaw
Getting the vehicle up to date on plugs, wires, belts, hoses, fluids, ect, can cost some serious bucks, so here is a link to some online discount codes that can ease the pain some. I successfully used them three times last year. Advance Auto Parts Coupons & Promo Codes 2013, Advance Auto Parts Online Discount Codes

Keep us posted on your trouble shoot.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
According to Advance's website, there's isn't a store within 100-miles of where Blade35 lives...

Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM
m300diesel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would clean the Idle Air Control Valve first and see what happens. My 5 speed Mazda B2300 use to die when I put it under load. The next day I cleaned it with some carb cleaner and now I don't have any worries about stalling in traffic. Hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 AM
michigan66
Posting Guru
"m300" as well as several others have suggested cleaning the IAC. Use the cleaner suggested by Pawpaw but don't use carb cleaner. CC will remove the plastic coating on the valve, allowing it to gum up much more quickly.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:10 PM
m300diesel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will from now on. After reading your reply I read a post from another forum in which a guy soaked some parts in a plastic bowl filled with carb cleaner and it ate a hole right through the thing. Also in regards to the stalling. I had a bad MAF sensor on another truck of mine. When I cranked it over it would start for a second, shake violently, and then die. I had to drive around in limbo until I got another from my local auto parts dealer.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Ok Guys dont give up on me Im still here

Havent been back to the truck yet

hope to get the VIN# Tonight

I do have a Code Reader and DVM to test things with

so any Operating Value Numbers you guys have for the sensors would be great

Hope to get back to it tommorrow AM

Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 PM
BLADE35