iowa 7.3
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
radio replacement

iowa here

am thinking about putting a radio/cd/mps player in my 7.3
is there such a thing that will fit right into the current
radio/cd player space?

the lights went out a long time ago that tell me what station i was on.
but everything still works
would be nice to have an mps player

thanks

dave

Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
you can get a nice double din radio in the dash with slight modification to the bezel......just a little sanding the top and bottom edges....here is a pic of the clarion i got.....has a usb and mp3 jack right up front and the bluetooth is built in and works well.....not too fance but simple and i love it.....

Redirect Notice

Old 04-13-2012, 03:22 PM
billbaio
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any further info on how to install that radio? I read this thread and then went out pricing radios and installations. These people are crazy here in St Lucie county Florida. Best price so far is on Amazon for $190.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 04-13-2012, 03:48 PM
iowa 7.3
Mountain Pass
haven't decided yet
does it just use the same plug ins etc.?
thanks
dave

Old 04-13-2012, 05:15 PM
smithrock
Senior User
Most stereos have adapters that fit inti your existing area. I know my Sony did when I installed it a while back. And you'll need a Ford wiring adapter. They sell those at Walmart. Makes the install simple and easy. Hardest part of my install was getting the OEM radio out!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:30 PM
billbaio
Freshman User
From what I've been able to find out so far, looks like there is some sanding / dremel work needed to be done on the opening. Talked to a guy today who told me the dashboard has to be removed to swap out radios and he also said the opening would require cutting. I'm a novice on this and I'm trying to get as much info as I can. The radio I have is stock with 6 cd changer in it.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:53 PM
smithrock
Senior User
Originally Posted by billbaio
From what I've been able to find out so far, looks like there is some sanding / dremel work needed to be done on the opening. Talked to a guy today who told me the dashboard has to be removed to swap out radios and he also said the opening would require cutting. I'm a novice on this and I'm trying to get as much info as I can. The radio I have is stock with 6 cd changer in it.
Don't know about the CD changer. Is it in the dash? If you just have the stock radio in the dash- there should be no sanding or dremel work! Yes I had to remove the dash, but just partially ( enough to remove the radio). Actually when I removed it, it allowed me to clean it all out real good!

Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 PM
billbaio
Freshman User
Yep, the 6 cd changer is part of the radio. How hard is it to pull the dash? Any stickies on it?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:22 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Agree getting the radio out was hard even with the tools. Its a pretty easy install with the right install kit. I put a pioneer 3200 bt in and like it a lot.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 PM
smithrock
Senior User
Dash is easy-screws and clips. You don't need to take it all the way off. Just drop it down so it hangs on the steering column. And yeah, even with the radio removal tools in was a pain! But install was easy after that

Old 04-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The dash is a lot easier to remove than installing the stereo (depending on how deep the unit is). If the dash is a stumper, I'd recommend getting a pro to do it.
  • Double-Din is the way to go. The unit won't last forever, but I suspect the Double Din format will be around for a long time because it makes a great video screen size in the dash. This means the next Double-Din unit will fit if you do it now.
  • I have a Dremel-like tool with a bit that's made to carve plastic like cheese. Just make sure you go easy, you'll have to stare at any mistakes for years to come.
  • Pull the whole dash apart. You'll have more room to work and you'll be less likely to damage something aesthetic.
  • Get the Ford stereo pigtail, then get the wiring diagram to match up with your stereo - documentaion before wiring really helps.
  • I used Scothlok filled UR2 connectors because wire nuts permit corrosion over time and fall apart from vibration.
You made no mention of a backup camera or SD card - many units today have touch screens with backup cameras/DVD players.
  • If you back up to a trailer and value your spouse, I urge you to consider one.
  • I also stress the SD card. A CD holds 700 Meg of music, a DVD holds 5G of video/music (about one 2 1/2-hour movie) - but my SD card holds 8G of everything. SD card - more capacity, no moving parts, no need to change "disks", and no skipping over railroad tracks. Many people want an Ipod interface, but an Ipod is just digital storage for music and the SD card will do this without wires hanging out.
  • The bluetooth (phone interface) feature is sometimes included with these and sometimes they are an add-on.
I realize I'm suggesting stuff that gets the head unit price over $300, but it's one unit and done for a long time.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
EDIT! I changed the spec in the last post to a filled UR2 Scotchlok - this will handle a bigger wire.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:02 PM
ChuckNasty
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tugly
I also stress the SD card. A CD holds 700 Meg of music, a DVD holds 5G of video/music (about one 2 1/2-hour movie) - but my SD card holds 8G of everything. SD card - more capacity, no moving parts, no need to change "disks", and no skipping over railroad tracks. Many people want an Ipod interface, but an Ipod is just digital storage for music and the SD card will do this without wires hanging out.
Yeah, I wanted to say I completely agree. Also, a USB port in the glovebox seems like it would be super cool considering 32G flash drives are about $35 in my area. Tucked away, out of sight, and not changing discs all the time

Old 04-14-2012, 04:09 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Have to agree I like my sd card slot as well. I also plug my iPad into the USB on the front sometimes.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:30 PM
billbaio
Freshman User
Tugly,

What radio is that you are showing?

Quick Reply: radio replacement