Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1973 F250 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay well an acquaintance from school thought his '97 Mazda B4000 could hold a candle to my truck. We chained up axles...long story short he now needs to fix a axle mount. Gotta love this thing called "torque". And youth these days are stupid.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
A week later nothing has been accomplished do to two 20 plus page papers being due. Its been a long week and i just finished up the second paper. If the rain lets up I'm going out there, if it doesn't spring break is on the way

Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 PM
MikePacey
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol thats awesome but for future referance never chain axles when tugging. Hook it to the hitch or the frame.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
I couldn't find any place on the Mazda to hook it to other than the axle. I'm so glad spring break is on the way. Got floor repair and wiring on the to-do list. Does anyone know a chain store that has carpeting like a car/truck

Old 03-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
So spring break starts this thursday (thank god) and i got my plans layed out. I'm going to get this dang light flickering figured out first off. Then I'm going to repair the floor and get the texture down on it, and seat reinstalled. With all the electrical gremlins out I'm going to put on a tach and some actual #'ed gauges. Then I have this wild idea to hook up my phone through the stock stereo (until I get enough monies to put a real head unit and 6x9's in there). The front brakes will get bled and the rears will get adjusted so I can stop again. And then if all of that worked, I will paint the wheels a nice gloss black with a blue pinstripe for a "rat rod" look until I can afford a paint job. A Sam's Club flat of Monster (24 cans) awaits me, as well as the Great Value water additive packets to keep me running. My wonderful padre, and a few of my ignorant friends and a female, are coming over to "help". I found a couple of running boards from my mom's '01 F150 and I'm going to measure them up to see if they would look decent on my truck. It's going to be hard to transport running boards in a focus so I'm going to make sure they fit before I decide to attempt to move them. Stay tuned and thanks for the support. Sorry stuff is moving so slow but it's difficult to keep the truck on the front of my mind with having to decide a college and such. I'll be posting quite a few pictures each day (my new phone has an awesome camera ) and will probably ask several questions (because I am a dumb highschooler).

Old 03-10-2013, 05:54 PM
MikePacey
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a good plan dooode! Got quiet a spring break planned out! Screw the parties I'll take my truck and you can keep the change lol.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
Okay here are the Fords that reside in my abilities to drive. Actually my direct family only owns one non - Ford and he was married in.

Mine (Y'all should be familiar with this one)

My stepmom's

My Dad's "Hot Rod" P.I.

My Dad's work car

My Mom's Truck

Old 03-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
There's also a dust covered 69 sitting in the garage by my house...still trying to talk that old lady into selling it to me. Its a shame, it hasn't moved in like 20 years. I cry when I think about it actually

Old 03-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
Do any of you guys know if those fabric webbing doors that you see on jeeps are street legal. On one of the many trips to the lake I take in the summer I'd like to have those off-road style "doors". I just don't want to get stopped on the way to getting to the lake. Road noise isn't really a concern if you haven't been able to tell yet. Isn't there something like this for the broncos or have I gone insane

Old 03-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
I washed my truck yesterday and boy was I glad I did. The paint still looks decent underneath all that dirt. I dont feel as bad cruising in my "rat-rod" truck now haha. Here are some pics
Fastest way to **** off a step parent

Old 03-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
26.76 later I now have truck bed liner, black and blue spray paint, primer and a roll of automotive masking tape. Ready for the visual makeover woo!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
So the floor has been scuffed up to grab on to the primer. We put down some rust eater stuffs to accept the patch. The rest of the trim got removed. The radio is out and the bulbs are fixing to be changed. My Dad and I have been going since 10 this morning. So I'm tired but we got quite a bit done. Now to relax

Old 03-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Killgore
Posting Guru
yesterday sucked. It didn't get above 45 until the afternoon. Well we got the floor patched up all pretty like, the majority of the wiring figured out and the chrome pieces are taken off. I think I like the look better without the chrome so I'm just going to keep the pieces off. I got the gauge cluster out, repainted the needles and cleaned the face. Hopefully today it will get warm enough to get the primer in - if not we will just complete fixing the wiring and make sure the truck still runs. Oh and O'Reillys sells 10 pack of the dash bulbs for 10 dollars, the guy saved me nearly 14 bucks by giving me the box set. Oh and i have a new dimmer switch and headlight switch. Both of them were the factory w/ ford numbers on them. Well today is a new and colder day. Lets see what I can get done.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Killgore
Posting Guru
Well heres the weekend update. Nothing has been done really since Tuesday because of the cold (the primer I picked up will have problems sticking under 50 degrees) and now today it's snowing. I'm starting to put some money in the bank for my engine rebuild and sound system. I know what I'm going to do for the sound system (kind of an audio nerd) but I have no idea still where I'm going with the motor. I know you can make tons of power off of a turbocharged 4.6L but I'm not sure I want to try to incorporate a computer into an older truck. I'm thinking 460 or a 410. I cannot afford aluminum heads at all. Also would the 20 extra cubes in the 390 be worth it? I do want to put a streetable, but big, cam into the motor, a dual plane intake manifold or tunnel ram, and some head porting, an upgraded ignition and fuel delevery system. I'm not sure but can the 390 handle a little extra help from a 150 shot of nitrous. I mean the compression is only 8.2:1 so what would it hurt? Do C6 transmissions have interchangeable bellhousings? And would the 460 give me a bunch more torque on the same budget? Because I do enjoy that torque. I'm going to do some more research and post more detailed plans when I get them.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Killgore
Posting Guru
Heres my ideas. I was almost done with the list when I posted that. Oh and I got my tailgate pivot points in the mail today so if the snow lets up I'm going to hang the tailgate today.
Stock 390 Longblock
Ported and Polished 390 Heads
ARP Rod and Head Bolts
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
600 CFM Edelbrock Performer Carb – Electric Choke
D.U.I. H.E.I. Distributor
PerTronics Flame Thrower 2 Ignition Coil
Crane Cam .533/.533 Flat Tappet
Howard Cam Performance Flat Tappet Lifters
8.8MM Spark Plug Wires
Headers

Same as above except with 428 crank and flexplate

Stock 460 Longblock
Ported and Polished 460 (computer controlled heads)
ARP Rod and Head Bolts
Weiand Stealth Intake Manifold
750 Holley Carb
Edelbrock Performer Cam and Lifter Kit .556/.581
Summit Racing H.E.I. Distributor
8.8 MM Spark Plug Wires
PerTronics Flame Thrower 2 Ignition Coil
Hooker Super Comp Headers

4.6L
Ford 4.6 Engine - Junkyard Jewel Ford 4.6l 2v - Engine Build Up - Hot Rod Magazine

Quick Reply: 1973 F250 Build Thread