Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 F350 460EFI. Been sitting for 20+ years. Need help to get it back to proper running condition

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbyjo9
20 yr old 38" tires??? Im not sure I'd trust those sidewalls on the freeway. Thats a big tire to have come apart at speed. Cracks or no cracks I wouldnt go past 10 years.
Yeah I was kind of worried about the tires. They don't look dry rotted but you never know. My dad also said that they might have flat spots from sitting in the same position for so long which probably wouldn't be good at speed. No matter what condition they are I can't really run those anyways because with the rims that are on the truck the tires are too wide and don't really turn at all. The tires rub very easily on the leaf springs when you turn. So I either need skinnier tires with same rims or the same tire with a new rim. I just wanted to get new rims and new tires and just avoid having any trouble with the old tires or the new rims still not having enough backspacing to handle the wide tires. Thanks for your opinion.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:04 PM
bobbyjo9
Senior User
Ill add that the 16.5 rims will also limit you on the tire selection. Go up to a 17+ and you'll have much more to choose from. I've been on the old school 16.5 myself since 89 but the last tire change was very limited by that rim for 35" tires. Id go with your first choice and swap out for a whole new set of rims and tires.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:23 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bobbyjo9
Ill add that the 16.5 rims will also limit you on the tire selection. Go up to a 17+ and you'll have much more to choose from. I've been on the old school 16.5 myself since 89 but the last tire change was very limited by that rim for 35" tires. Id go with your first choice and swap out for a whole new set of rims and tires.
Yeah I've looked for rims and wheels for the 16.5 size and it is very limited for both. I wanted to go with 18 inch rims and 37 inch Toyo Mt tires. I'm just not sure on the rims. The ones that I was looking at were the Ballistic Enigma in 18x9 they were cheapest that I could find and I like them. The only thing is that they are black and I'm not sure how it would look. They do have red in them so I thouhgt it would look cool but I'm not sure. I think the truck looks great now with the rims that are on it but I don't really want chrome rims because they're a lot more expensive and I'm not sure how long they'd last with all the salt that is put on the road in the winter where I live and polished aluminum rims are kind of hard to come now a days but there is a few that I like. I don't want to ruin the look the truck has now. It kind of has that "classic" look you know. So what do you think black or polished aluminum?
These are the Ballistic Enigma that I was looking at.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:25 PM
bobbyjo9
Senior User
Im a polished guy myself

Old 01-26-2013, 05:50 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
I like both black and polished but am undecided. For polished I was looing at Mickey Thompson classics or something similar. I just don't want the black look bad on the truck, which I don't think they will, but I am not for sure. I guess I will have to make a decision sometime.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:25 PM
kentuckyredneck
Senior User
If you stick with 16.5in wheels, you can run 37in Humvee tires. They're supposed to be pretty cheap for 70-90% tread takeoffs.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kentuckyredneck
If you stick with 16.5in wheels, you can run 37in Humvee tires. They're supposed to be pretty cheap for 70-90% tread takeoffs.
Yeah not sure if I really want to run Humvee tires. I'm not too sure how they'd be on the road especially in snowy/icy conditions which I have a lot of where I live. And I'm not really sure if I want to stick with 16.5 wheels or not. But I never really thought about those tires before and they are an option so thanks for putting it out there.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:13 PM
nflfreak43
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i will go ahead and tell you..

dont be surprised when you break a valve spring or 2. or a lifter completely collapses..

full pressure on the valve train for years on end, with only occasional start ups is gonna trash the top end as soon as you wind up the rpms for the first time..

Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Nice time capsule piece.

i would just change all the fluids and look everything over real good.

Tire would be the FIRST thing I would change, even if you had to put stock tires on. The rubber is hard as hell and once you warm them up, they will split and blow.

Is that some sort of visor on the roof?

Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 PM
matacemat
Freshman User
Nice to see another c****** member here. Good looking truck!

Old 01-26-2013, 09:51 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by nflfreak43
i will go ahead and tell you..

dont be surprised when you break a valve spring or 2. or a lifter completely collapses..

full pressure on the valve train for years on end, with only occasional start ups is gonna trash the top end as soon as you wind up the rpms for the first time..
Never thought about that, but thanks for letting me know. It has been reved up a couple times and my dad drove it around about behind the shop before I washed it and nothing has happened? I know that isn't much but still something over idle. I'm a little new to engine specifics so what causes the pressure on the valve train from not being reved up?

Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
Also, while you're in there, grease any and all fittings you can find. Pull the drums off and make sure the wheel cylinders aren't frozen, make sure the calipers and slides move freely as well. When you run the engine, make sure it runs long enough to get up to operating temperature, and is allowed to run for some time at temp. This allows any condensation in the engine and exhaust to evaporate. Starting, running, and shutting off without getting to temperature is worse than just letting it sit. Good luck with the truck!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Nice time capsule piece.

i would just change all the fluids and look everything over real good.

Tire would be the FIRST thing I would change, even if you had to put stock tires on. The rubber is hard as hell and once you warm them up, they will split and blow.

Is that some sort of visor on the roof?
Yeah thats what I was thinking change the fluids do what other people have said and look over everything real good until I can really tear into it. Don't have the stock tires or anything else that I could really put on there. I will probably get new tires anyways. Keeping the current tire and wheel setup wasn't really in the plans but am not sure. With the thing on the roof Haha Nah its just a piece of cardboard I put up there to cover up the hole where the sun roof would be before I washed it. My dad shattered it when he was taking it out before he got it painted... Another thing I have to repalce. I thought it kind of looked like a visor up there too. My dad actually has one painted to match just never put it on. So I might put it back on, it just needs to be cleaned up and see how it looks.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:06 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by matacemat
Nice to see another c****** member here. Good looking truck!
Haha. Awsome. I was hoping I'd meet someone loacated close to me on here.What do you drive I'll probaby see you around town sometime.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by blkF250HD
Also, while you're in there, grease any and all fittings you can find. Pull the drums off and make sure the wheel cylinders aren't frozen, make sure the calipers and slides move freely as well. When you run the engine, make sure it runs long enough to get up to operating temperature, and is allowed to run for some time at temp. This allows any condensation in the engine and exhaust to evaporate. Starting, running, and shutting off without getting to temperature is worse than just letting it sit. Good luck with the truck!
Thanks. Hopefully everything goes well. It has done more than idle and has ran for a good amount of time at once before but I'm not sure if it was long enough to get up to operating temp though.

Quick Reply: 1988 F350 460EFI. Been sitting for 20+ years. Need help to get it back to proper running condition