1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948 F2 restore or modify?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 PM
kcjskramer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1948 F2 restore or modify?

Hello,

I am new to FTE and would like some input from others. I have a 1948 F2 being delivered this weekend. It was refreshed in 2001 and is now in need for a thorough rebuild.

It is a 4 speed flathead V8 from the factory. The whole truck is there - the only thing missing is the F2 badges that mount just to the rear of the front fenders.

My question is - restore it to factory or modify it with new running gear? I want to use it and even tow a ski boat to our local lake. I think the gearing would sustain it but I know the driving experience is not as safe as a modern suspension and running gear. The nostalgia of the original is really appealing.

Thoughts?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
If its all there and in decent shape i would just keep it mostly original and just make it safe to drive.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum. Of course we'd like to see some pictures, upload some to Photobucket and paste the links here. Your question is one of personal choice, there isn't right or wrong. Personally, I love them the way they were made. I would keep it stock, other than upgrades to the brakes which won't detract from the original appearance.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
If its all there and in decent shape i would just keep it mostly original and just make it safe to drive.
I agree, do you still have the power stroke? you could use it to pull your boat.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:43 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'd make sure it's road worthy, if not take care of that then enjoy it . Maybe you will change it later.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
I agree, do you still have the power stroke? you could use it to pull your boat.
Yes but im not the one asking to pull my boat.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
My vote would be to keep it mostly original. If everything is in good condition it will drive just fine. Of course it is more a matter of personal choice.
The gear ratio might be an issue if you need to get on any highways.
We need pictures though, we have a sickness and the painful side affects can only be relieved with pictures.
By the way welcome to FTE!
Just checked out your garage, nice looking truck. We still need more pictures though.
What's up with the passenger door?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 PM
South of BC
Elder User
I just checked your garage. Here's what I gleaned:

1. Your wife wanted a truck.

2. Your wife liked the monkeyface.

With that information, I'd say you are asking the wrong people what to do with the truck!

Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 PM
kcjskramer
New User
http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6e89f2d9.jpg

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/...ps31bc2749.jpg

Thank you all. And yes you are correct that my wife had a lot to do with the truck selection. The technical comes from my side.

I also have a 2001 F150 7700 that is used as the boat hauler. I just thought it would be fun to go old school.

The frame is straight and very little deterioration from rust (only at the bed mounts). That cab has no floor rust and all of the mounts are like new. There is some rear corner rust that needs attention. The fenders have two dents the size of a quarter. The box needs some attention in the wheel wells. The tailgate is like new.

Regarding the door...when the truck was redone in 2001 the owner shot 2 part urethane as a corrosion preventative. It did not work of course. It trapped the water and rotted out the bottom of the doors.

Here is a link - I hope it works

Last edited by kcjskramer; 01-22-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: adding link
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
The link works fine, but if you use the mountain scene icon you get this, and us lazy folk don't have to click.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Kcjs,
Welcome Aboard! If you are planning to tow a boat down that big hill to the Lake Travis boat ramps you better take a good look at the brakes & suspension. What kind of rear gearing is in the back? We had a hard time getting our F1 over 50 with the stock gearing.

Good luck over there! There are quite a few of us in Central Texas.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html

Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Keoki
New User
i vote restore

hi, i have an 48 F2 also. I have been restoring it. i have been really enjoying returning it to stock. my had a dodge rear end on it. the wrong wheels. the suspension was shot as was the wiring. and because i live in hawaii i had to put airconditioning in it. but i hid it in a original ford heater. chuck at chucks trucks llchas been fantastic for advice and parts. good luck.
keoki

Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Originally Posted by Keoki
hi, i have an 48 F2 also. I have been restoring it. i have been really enjoying returning it to stock. my had a dodge rear end on it. the wrong wheels. the suspension was shot as was the wiring. and because i live in hawaii i had to put airconditioning in it. but i hid it in a original ford heater. chuck at chucks trucks llchas been fantastic for advice and parts. good luck.
keoki
Do you have a build thread?

Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 PM
JohnS49
Senior User
Your rear gear ratio is probably a 4.86 which really restricts your top speed , and the old unsynk crash box transmissions can be pretty annoying to drive . You might think about putting in a T5 transmission . There is a lot of information here on the forum about the T5 swap . It would be easier to drive and help your top end some .

Quick Reply: 1948 F2 restore or modify?