Notices

ECOBOOST Raptor (but not by FORD)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 AM
JohnnySmirk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huge ecoboost fan. my brother and a couple buddies have them. perform great, plenty of power and great towing. Look forward to Ford hopefully putting these motors in more models. I heard a rumor that they were going to use them in police vehicles as well.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:55 AM
JohnnySmirk
New User
would love it but gotta agree that the price tag is a killer

Old 06-24-2013, 06:18 PM
stoffer
Senior User
you can keep that lil' ecojoke

I'd rather see 'em add twin turbo's to the 6.2 or coyote 5.0

Old 06-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Idaho Slim
Freshman User
Originally Posted by stoffer

Agreed, I'd like to see FORD build an Ecoboost in the 350ish cu in range. I have an EB, and it is incredible performance for only 217 cu in., but the mpg is sporadic since when there is a load on it, it pours the fuel to it and you don't notice any performance loss, but the mpg's are all over the place and suffer a lot when power is needed. Just think what a 350 size EB would doo!!

Put THAT in a super duty WOW !

Old 06-27-2013, 01:36 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru

So you just done like it becasue its a 6 cylinder???? If they put ecoboost tech (DI/Twin Turbos) on the 5.0 you would be okay with it?

So apparently you only care how many cylinders and not about how much power you actually make?

Old 06-27-2013, 02:03 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Idaho Slim

Put THAT in a super duty WOW !
I like the way you think!

Old 06-27-2013, 02:35 PM
AzPatMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD
So you just done like it becasue its a 6 cylinder???? If they put ecoboost tech (DI/Twin Turbos) on the 5.0 you would be okay with it?

So apparently you only care how many cylinders and not about how much power you actually make?
LOL, was thinking the same thing - but you just said it for me
What's even funnier - is the Ford Taurus SHO (ie, twin turbo'd Eco-Boost) stock - keeps up with the Stock 5.0 Coyote Mustangs in the 1/4.
Tuned/flashed - We've got a couple here in the low 12's high 11's at altitude.

Also - I think people saying OMG, the pricetag!!!
Keep in mind - this isn't production per say - this is something that was done to show Ford what they "should have" offered as production.

Now, would I like to see a twin'd 5.0 or 6.2? Sure, but Ford has already stated they're not going to do it.
(ie, Ford's way of saying - we're leaving that up to the aftermarket...)
If you want an Iron Lung on a on 6.2L Raptor - Get a Whipple.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:39 PM
stoffer
Senior User
Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD

take it however you want, the 3.5 is having too many issues to consider putting in a "performance" truck, hence why I said lets put twin turbo's on the 5.0 or 6.2 and then see what's up with the lil' 3.5

Originally Posted by AzPatMan
LOL, was thinking the same thing - but you just said it for me
What's even funnier - is the Ford Taurus SHO (ie, twin turbo'd Eco-Boost) stock - keeps up with the Stock 5.0 Coyote Mustangs in the 1/4.
Tuned/flashed - We've got a couple here in the low 12's high 11's at altitude.

Also - I think people saying OMG, the pricetag!!!
Keep in mind - this isn't production per say - this is something that was done to show Ford what they "should have" offered as production.

Now, would I like to see a twin'd 5.0 or 6.2? Sure, but Ford has already stated they're not going to do it.
(ie, Ford's way of saying - we're leaving that up to the aftermarket...)
If you want an Iron Lung on a on 6.2L Raptor - Get a Whipple.

5# of boost on the 5.0 produces 600rwhp according to hellion, I assure you, that while I ecoboost SHO is a great vehicle and can be quick it's not match for a boosted mustang with a larger engine

Old 06-27-2013, 05:18 PM
AzPatMan
Elder User

5# of boost on the 5.0 produces 600rwhp according to hellion, I assure you, that while I ecoboost SHO is a great vehicle and can be quick it's not match for a boosted mustang with a larger engine
You're comparing Organic Apples to GMO Apples dude...

Factory 5.0L Stock to Factory 3.5L+Turbos (in the SHO(and in some F150's)) is what I said.

Hell yea, a boosted 5.0 would kick the SHO's and F-150's Eco-Boost behind.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:43 PM
stoffer
Senior User
exactly my point...

the lil' ecojoke needs boost to be "stock", while if you apply boost to one of the other available motors it's called not fair for some reason...

Old 06-27-2013, 06:21 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You EB one of the V8's and Ford will start losing their diesel customers...

Old 06-27-2013, 08:24 PM
AzPatMan
Elder User
exactly my point...

the lil' ecojoke needs boost to be "stock", while if you apply boost to one of the other available motors it's called not fair for some reason...
But you're missing ours....
The Eco-Boost is getting just as much (if not more in some cases) power out of it than a stock 5.0 and 6.2L, while also getting better fuel economy while producing that power.
The whole design of that motor was built with the intention of being boosted.
2000SilverBullet hit's it on the head. Not to say that's the reason why there are no "Eco-Boost" 5.0's or 6.2's - but the amount of power those would produce would not coincide with today's fuel efficient Government Standards.
Right now - the average MPG for a Coyote motor (depending on gearing) is roughly 25mpg. In order to properly get the best power out of that motor (turbo'd) and not blow it up - as you say with 5lbs of boost - did you also happened to ask how much extra fuel they had to provide and the proper timing curve to keep the motor from detonating?
Trust me - the Coyote is a good motor but - it is very sensitive to the fuel and timing it get's. I know of 2 motors that have been destroyed due to a combo of bad tuning and/or bad fuel.
There's a reason why FORD hasn't released a turbo'd V8, just besides costs. There's a reliability factor that has to be maintained. Otherwise, you'd just be riddled with TSB's or Recalls for those motors.
Is FORD playing it safe? whose to say.
But like I said - that's what the aftermarket is for. You want a turbo/charged 5.0 or 6.2 - they're out there.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:22 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
FWIW - Crazy001's stock 2013 EB F150 (3.73's) pulled the same hill I did with the same 15,000lb trailer faster than my 5 star tuned 6.2 with 4.30's did. Check the Ohio meet thread in the Superduty forum for videos/details.

The EB motor is no joke as far as I'm concerned...

Old 06-28-2013, 06:55 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
I dont think its a joke either... I think its crazy that people believe because it has 6 pistons instead of 8 that its not worthy.... They use the argument that its a weak, untested motor, not built like a v8 what ever, but as soon as you say lets do it to a v8 and they are all for it...

Bottom line is the ecoboost is a serious engine, with very few issues... I have read more mechanical issue threads with the 5.0 than i have with the ecoboost... The only issue todate i have heard with the eboost is the shuddering/limp mode which is caused by a bad designed inter cooler, nothing to do with the motor itself.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 AM
JohnnySmirk
New User
The EB is solid and does exactly what it was intended to do. I'm all for putting that technology into the 6.2 but adding a bunch of power was only part of the equation when it came to the development of the EB.
Also, anyone see the company that takes the Raptor and makes it into an SUV? and they add a supercharger as an upgraded part of the package. stupid expensive of course but what do yall think about it?

Quick Reply: ECOBOOST Raptor (but not by FORD)