Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

F450 Fuel Mileage

Old 03-14-2013, 06:18 PM
tgreening
Elder User
tgreening has a good reputation on FTE.tgreening has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by StanleyZ View Post
Yeah, there is that. With the DRW 350 I lost one wheel brake 2 years ago up in new york. Had to drive it that way because the parts were gonna take a week to get and I had places to be. Wasn't too bad once I knew about it but when it first revealed the problem I had to make a stop that was dicey. But, I don't know how much better the 450 would have been. I mean I got stopped from highway speed going down a small grade, it just didn't stop before I was about past the stop line. After towing that 5er with the F250 for a year I have a lot of respect for the weight behind me and drive accordingly, so I'm confident that had it been a steeper grade I would still have gotten stopped safely. Still, as usual you make a good point.

I hear you. That time I got pushed through the intersection scared the crap out of me because it was completely unexpected. Trailer brakes or no I never figured that trailer would be able to push me around like that. It's not like I was doing highway speed and had to hit 'em hard. I was in an urban area, and just needed to stop for your run of the mill 4-way.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:25 PM
tgreening
Elder User
tgreening has a good reputation on FTE.tgreening has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ETKMS View Post
Its all relevant though. Listen, the F450 has larger brakes then the F350. This does not mean it will get him out of a bind if he is towing 16klbs and loses his trailer brakes approaching an intersection. He will need new underwear if that happened driving an F350 or F450.

If I went by your reasoning, I would be on here saying I am towing about 20-25k lbs, is an F450 ok or maybe I need to upgrade to a class 8 rig just incase my trailer brakes fail?

The OP is not planning to tow any crazy numbers with an F350, and they would all fall inline or close to the towing capacity of the vehicle. Having more truck is always a good idea, but if he came here asking if he should tow 24k lbs with his F350 then I would say go for the F450 of course. If I towed under 20k lbs I would have went for an F350.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not picking on your choice of truck or anything, not even the OP. I'm just taking a jab at the "just fine" comment. You see that here all the time. "I've been towing a Gazillion Pound trailer for eleventyhundred years with my F-150 and it pulls it Juuuuust Fine."

There was commercial on a while back, publicity stunt really, where a Toyota I think pulled the Space Shuttle somewhere. By all accounts on the tv it pulled it juuuust fine. Doesn't mean I would want to hook up and head down the mountain with it. See my point?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Troy Buenger
Postmaster
Troy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by StanleyZ View Post
Senix is breaking no laws. No one cares how much you tow in a non-commerical application. Unless you are so poorly equipped as to be creating a hazzard on the roadways. I spent many hours researching that when I towed my MS with my F250, suitably equipped of course and a lot less expensive than my 6.4.
Wow... That sure was a good lookin red truck there Stanely.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
ETKMS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by tgreening View Post
Don't misunderstand, I'm not picking on your choice of truck or anything, not even the OP. I'm just taking a jab at the "just fine" comment. You see that here all the time. "I've been towing a Gazillion Pound trailer for eleventyhundred years with my F-150 and it pulls it Juuuuust Fine."

There was commercial on a while back, publicity stunt really, where a Toyota I think pulled the Space Shuttle somewhere. By all accounts on the tv it pulled it juuuust fine. Doesn't mean I would want to hook up and head down the mountain with it. See my point?
Right, but those people pulling stupid numbers with a half ton are just plain stupid, the numbers the OP posted are not unusual for an F350 DRW.

Btw, I think that Tundra commercial is great advertising. Sure it pulled the shuttle maybe 30-40ft at 3mph with a hitch specially designed for it and looks like it had virtually no tongue weight, but it build confidence to buyers.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:35 PM
StanleyZ
Postmaster
StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger View Post
Wow... That sure was a good lookin red truck there Stanely.
Thanks, I miss it. I spent a lot of time and money getting it set to tow that 17,000 lb 5th wheel. Air bags, 19.5 inch Rickson wheels, after market stuff all through the power train, and it pulled real good, actually it even stopped pretty well. But on curvy mountain roads it just pushed the truck around. If I was younger and poorer I probably would have kept towing with it, but in the end the DRWs are so much more comfortable and less exciting. Only problem is driving it when we get somewhere is a giant PITA.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:09 AM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Maybe ford can design the next super duty f450 with retractable DRW systems

I remember seeing and old chevy dually, and the outer most tire was inline with the front wheels, and the wheel wells in the box stuck in farther.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 PM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
I think if I towed lots of big stuff all the time, I'd go buy a MD truck.

Our water hauler at work has an international with a 1996 466 dt E, and he averages 10 MPG, and thats with speeding, idling, real world driving. Loaded always one way.