Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

F450 Fuel Mileage

Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 PM
gwcon
Posting Guru
gwcon has a great reputation on FTE.gwcon has a great reputation on FTE.gwcon has a great reputation on FTE.gwcon has a great reputation on FTE.gwcon has a great reputation on FTE.
The extended front axle is a nice option(had it on my '08 350) and it definately helps with the turning and manuverability. I'm sure the bigger brakes are nice as well but I guarantee you don't need an F450 to pull 15,000lbs around. I pull that and more with my F350 and it handles the weight, including stopping, with ease. Not saying that F450's are not great towers but I think you have options other than just a F450. If I remember correctly the F450 will pull somewhere in the range of up to 24K(someone who knows the exact number please correct me if I am wrong) and that is a heck of a lot more than 15K.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 AM
HAMMERDOWN103
Senior User
HAMMERDOWN103 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well from my research the F350 SRW and DRW are right at 15k. Unless I find a DRW with a taller gear. I'm looking at a lifted F450 with 4.88 gears and 37" tires so that could help balance it out. Yes that 450 would be 24k. I know my trailer is right at 15k. And down the road might upgrade to an 18k trailer which would max out the top of the DRW 350. Just wanted to see if the mileage was drastically different and 1-2 mpg is not worth sweating over if I feel that much safer towing that behemoth!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I tow a 15K 5er with my F250 srw...

Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 PM
HAMMERDOWN103
Senior User
Senix, my current 01 F350 could pull it. But neither of our trucks are rated to pull it is the difference between them and the 450 and 350 DRW. Able yes. Safe debatable. Legal no.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 PM
a4t1rat
Senior User
a4t1rat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by HAMMERDOWN103 View Post
Senix, my current 01 F350 could pull it. But neither of our trucks are rated to pull it is the difference between them and the 450 and 350 DRW. Able yes. Safe debatable. Legal no.
You will be amazed at the differance the 450 will make Good choice

Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 AM
HAMMERDOWN103
Senior User
a4t1rat my other reasoning is down the road another trailer we have looked at looks to be around the 18k mark. At that time there will be four people in the truck and two dogs. So the only trucks to pull it would be a 350 DRW with the big towing gears, which i believe would be close to its limit, or the 450 which with that gear is rated at 24k .... So with the 450 i know i will never need more truck.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 AM
marspec
Senior User
marspec is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by senix View Post
I tow a 15K 5er with my F250 srw...

I DID so also. Not now. Upgraded.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Mine is rated for it. I come in around 22k and some change combined

Old 03-11-2013, 03:14 AM
ETKMS
Elder User
ETKMS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Although I have an 08 F450 with 4:88 rear end and tow over 25k on a regular basis, I do feel a F350 is way more then enough for towing 15 or even 18k I have friends with F350's and Ram 3500 both DRW of course and they both tow a little over 20k and its not a problem. I have driven my friends trucks towing, although I like mine better, those trucks still tow it safely.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 PM
tgreening
Elder User
tgreening has a good reputation on FTE.tgreening has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ETKMS View Post
I have friends with F350's and Ram 3500 both DRW of course and they both tow a little over 20k and its not a problem.

I can jump out of an airplane without a 'chute and it's not a problem. Till it's time to stop.

Coming down out of Crawford Notch at 13% with 17K on the back was not a problem, as long as my trailer had brakes. If they had failed I might have had a problem. If I were towing it with a 3/4 ton I most assuredly have a problem.

The point is it's not how your TV does when you aren't having a problem, but how it handles things when you DO have a problem.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:15 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by tgreening View Post
I can jump out of an airplane without a 'chute and it's not a problem. Till it's time to stop.

Coming down out of Crawford Notch at 13% with 17K on the back was not a problem, as long as my trailer had brakes. If they had failed I might have had a problem. If I were towing it with a 3/4 ton I most assuredly have a problem.

The point is it's not how your TV does when you aren't having a problem, but how it handles things when you DO have a problem.
Well first of all, what kind of trailer does not have brakes? I never seen a trailer that is over 2k lbs not have brakes. I thought it was not even legal not to? Again, I chose an F450 for a reason, but I would not underestimate an F350 DRW.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 PM
StanleyZ
Postmaster
StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by HAMMERDOWN103 View Post

Senix is breaking no laws. No one cares how much you tow in a non-commerical application. Unless you are so poorly equipped as to be creating a hazzard on the roadways. I spent many hours researching that when I towed my MS with my F250, suitably equipped of course and a lot less expensive than my 6.4.

Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 PM
tgreening
Elder User
tgreening has a good reputation on FTE.tgreening has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ETKMS View Post
Well first of all, what kind of trailer does not have brakes? I never seen a trailer that is over 2k lbs not have brakes. I thought it was not even legal not to? Again, I chose an F450 for a reason, but I would not underestimate an F350 DRW.

A trailer whose brakes have failed. I've had it happen to me twice. One my TV was a 3/4 Ford pulling nothing more than an empty car hauling trailer that weighed a paltry 2,200 lbs. I hit the pedal, not all that hard, and the trailer proceeded to shove me through a fortunately empty intersection.

I wouldn't underestimate an F350 DRW, depending on what it's pulling, but the problem is when people vastly overestimate what they can do just because they've managed to do it and so far it's "not been a problem".

Old 03-14-2013, 08:49 AM
StanleyZ
Postmaster
StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
A trailer whose brakes have failed. I've had it happen to me twice. One my TV was a 3/4 Ford pulling nothing more than an empty car hauling trailer that weighed a paltry 2,200 lbs. I hit the pedal, not all that hard, and the trailer proceeded to shove me through a fortunately empty intersection.

I wouldn't underestimate an F350 DRW, depending on what it's pulling, but the problem is when people vastly overestimate what they can do just because they've managed to do it and so far it's "not been a problem".
Yeah, there is that. With the DRW 350 I lost one wheel brake 2 years ago up in new york. Had to drive it that way because the parts were gonna take a week to get and I had places to be. Wasn't too bad once I knew about it but when it first revealed the problem I had to make a stop that was dicey. But, I don't know how much better the 450 would have been. I mean I got stopped from highway speed going down a small grade, it just didn't stop before I was about past the stop line. After towing that 5er with the F250 for a year I have a lot of respect for the weight behind me and drive accordingly, so I'm confident that had it been a steeper grade I would still have gotten stopped safely. Still, as usual you make a good point.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:15 PM
ETKMS
Elder User

Its all relevant though. Listen, the F450 has larger brakes then the F350. This does not mean it will get him out of a bind if he is towing 16klbs and loses his trailer brakes approaching an intersection. He will need new underwear if that happened driving an F350 or F450.

If I went by your reasoning, I would be on here saying I am towing about 20-25k lbs, is an F450 ok or maybe I need to upgrade to a class 8 rig just incase my trailer brakes fail?

The OP is not planning to tow any crazy numbers with an F350, and they would all fall inline or close to the towing capacity of the vehicle. Having more truck is always a good idea, but if he came here asking if he should tow 24k lbs with his F350 then I would say go for the F450 of course. If I towed under 20k lbs I would have went for an F350.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F450 Fuel Mileage

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: