How to Remove 2011+ Scab Rear Door Panels

Old 01-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Ridin'High
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Remove 2011+ Scab Rear Door Panels

I recently posted a question asking for tips on removing rear door panels. Since lots of people looked, but no one replied, I decided to dive in and figure it out for myself. The process is slightly different than on pre-2011 Super Duty trucks. I took a few pictures while I was at it. Hopefully, someone will find this helpful.

First, remove the two screws that hold the window latch onto the door.

Next, pry out on the upper door panel. I found it easiest to start at the front edge and then work around to the top and rear edge. When all the clips are free, slide the panel up to reveal the fasteners at the top of the lower panel.

Above you can see the three 7mm screws and one plastic rivet holding the panel in place. Remove them.

Next, pry open the cover on the lower seatbelt mount. If you carefully pry from the top, you won't break the cover's hinge like I did. No worries if you do; the cover will still go back on. Remove the bolt with a T50 Torx bit.

At this point, you can lift up and the panel will come off. You can't remove the panel completely because of the seatbelt.

I found it helpful to use a flashlight when reinstalling the upper panels. If you get up high so you can shine the light down behind the panel, you will find it easy to line up the clips.

You might notice in a few of these pictures that I have removed the small cover at the front of the armrest where the seatbelt goes through the door. This is not necessary for panel removal.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:25 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
Great write up----thanks for both your time and effort in posting this. Should be helpful down the road, maybe submit this to the tech folder in your trucks's specific forum too?

Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 PM
Jasondt2001
New User
I registered to this forum tonight

After seeing your post, I registered on this forum to just tell you thank you.

I bought some infiniti speakers tonight, but, didn't know how to get the door apart, now I need to find the front door instructions!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Ridin'High
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jasondt2001
After seeing your post, I registered on this forum to just tell you thank you.

I bought some infiniti speakers tonight, but, didn't know how to get the door apart, now I need to find the front door instructions!
I'm happy to help out. For the front doors, I found this YouTube video helpful. It's for an F150, but the door panels are very similar. It gave me all the confidence I needed to get the job done.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Jasondt2001
New User
Thank you so much!

I followed the video and figured it out. I put some infiniti speakers in the doors.
They're a much better improvement but I expected more, i think the 'muddy' sound comes from the headunit (stock).
Now I'm looking into that.
It's a work truck, but, I spend ALOT of time in it, and all my modifications are planned to go back to stock in a drop of a hat if need be.
I guess I'm looking into the Pioneer double DIN units w/ out navigation.
Then i need to find someone with a supercab (extended) sub box for sale - I'm already looking @ Shallow mount woofers.
I came from a Chevy w/ a 12" CVR, now I'm wondering how 2 10" shallows are going to sound.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Ridin'High
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jasondt2001
Thank you so much!

I followed the video and figured it out. I put some infiniti speakers in the doors.
They're a much better improvement but I expected more, i think the 'muddy' sound comes from the headunit (stock).
Now I'm looking into that.
It's a work truck, but, I spend ALOT of time in it, and all my modifications are planned to go back to stock in a drop of a hat if need be.
I guess I'm looking into the Pioneer double DIN units w/ out navigation.
Then i need to find someone with a supercab (extended) sub box for sale - I'm already looking @ Shallow mount woofers.
I came from a Chevy w/ a 12" CVR, now I'm wondering how 2 10" shallows are going to sound.
Sounds like you're a lot more ambitious than me. More power to you! You're right about the Infinity speakers being a small improvement. I think they're worth the cost and effort, but I can understand why you would want to go further. That's not possible for me right now, but maybe someday. Best of luck with your mods.