6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Lost Power on Short Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Texasbelle80
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost Power on Short Road Trip

Hi Everyone, I joined this forum for the specific problem that I am working with.

Have a 2010 F-350 dually with a 6.4L. Bought it this summer at a used car place and do not have a warranty : (
Anywho, left this morning with small cattle trailer and 4 calves drove a little over a hundred miles to drop calves off (zero problems). About 20 miles into the trip back home as we were climbing very small hill my truck lost what felt like half power. We weren't able to go over 60 the whole way home. I got on my phone and found some people with similar problems. I'm just going to say it now, I'm a chick so excuse me as I fumble through this. However, I am now very much well versed in automotive lingo.
So, I lost a lot of power and the check engine light came on. Other people had said to pull over, turn the vehicle off for a few minutes and it should reset. That was a negative ghost rider. Did not work. So we "limped home" over a hundred miles with an empty trailer.
I have a code reader that I purchased some time ago so I plugged it in when I got back to the house. It threw the code P0088. Fuel rail/system pressure too high.
So, to my horror I get the fun little thread of having to replace the HPP which involves basically preforming a decapitation, a cesarean, and a colonoscopy on my beloved truck. Seriously? Is this the only solution to this? Any help would be VERY, VERY, VERY appreciative.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:15 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Welcome to FTE Texasbelle80.

I've moved your thread to the 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel forum where you should get a better response since your issue is specific to the 6.4.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Texasbelle80
New User
Thank you. I saw that thread after I posted in the Super Duty one.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:16 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How many miles on your truck.

Since you have purchased the truck have you done any routine maint, like fuel filters, draining the water seperater, ect.
That would be the first place I'd start along with running some diesel fuel conditioner. If you haven't done the fuel filter's yet(there are two) make sure you check out the inside of the upper filter. You will need a 36 MM socket to remove the cap and filter, climb up there and look for dirt or ANY hint of rust down in the bowl. Use only Motocraft or Racor filters, no matter what your napa man tells you, no exceptions.
Clean, no water, fuel with some conditioner is most important with this motor, no alcohol based conditioner, diesel kleen, and motorcraft both are very good.

BTW welcome aboard.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Texasbelle80
New User
The truck has about 55K on it. We changed the fuel filters about 2 weeks ago but we used Wix. Could that be the problem? I didn't use any conditioner but have some here so will do that immediately.
It wasn't a cheap filter, I really hope we didn't kill my truck.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:15 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Texasbelle80
The truck has about 55K on it. We changed the fuel filters about 2 weeks ago but we used Wix. Could that be the problem? I didn't use any conditioner but have some here so will do that immediately.
Well first thing first, change them, they just don't work or fit like they should. The lower Ford filter is the only one made like it, whether they have a patent on it or what I don't know, that's just the way it is. That will also give you a chance to check out the upper fuel bowl.
Monday call Fords customer service and tell them you bought this truck and want to register it with them, Cause these beast come with 5 year, 100,000 mile engine warranty, covers damn near anything, but they are particularly picky with high pressure pump problems. They test for water in the fuel, incorrect fuel, ect. So use only good pump low sulfur fuel.

Go here
DTS Articles - Coffee Table Books
And down at the bottom of the page is the 2008 - 2010 6.4 book, you can download it, lots of good information and pictures, helped me get some understanding on this truck

I think I would get the correct filters in it with some good conditioner and see what happens. If it happens again just make sure you've got your ducks in a row and take it to the dealer.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:18 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Yes, the wix filters could be the problem. The fuel systems on these trucks are very sensitive and expensive to repair. With 55K miles you should still have 45,000 miles of power train warranty from Ford. Call a dealer and check it out. But first change the fuel filters both high and low as suggested above and always use a fuel conditioner, Diesel Kleen is my favorite but there are others. The warranty won't be honored if they find other than ford filters in the truck. The warranty won't however cover water in fuel damge if that should turn out to be the case. BTW, welcome to the forum. Hang here for awhile and you will be amazed what you learn about your truck, Hope this helps.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Texasbelle80
New User
Ok! Well get right on that. Thank you soooo much. I'll reply soon with updates : )

Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Ok! Well get right on that. Thank you soooo much. I'll reply soon with updates : )
That goes for Oil filters also!!
There just as special as the fuel filters!!
This place has about the best prices for the Ford or Racor filters.
Home - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks

Old 01-19-2013, 08:43 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I always have good luck getting filter on Ebay, Motorcraft filters.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:51 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE!

Hope all turns out well.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 AM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
With 55K miles you should still have 45,000 miles of power train warranty from Ford.

Did Ford change this? My '08 only had 100K warranty on the engine. Rest of powertrain was only 60K.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:45 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
There is a 100K/5 year on the motor. Your code P0088 may just have to do with the current pcm programing. When the 11B23 programing was put in place some trucks will throw the code. It may just be false.

Ford has an update flash to fix this. They tightened the monitoring of it too tight.

So a flash maybe all that you need.

Do check and ensure you are using the proper filters and make sure that is right before you take it in.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:46 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry NCKS
Did Ford change this? My '08 only had 100K warranty on the engine. Rest of powertrain was only 60K.
My bad Larry, I meant to say engine.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Texasbelle80
New User
Ok. Got new Motocraft fuel filters today and I'm in the process of getting them changed out. Just a quick question on oil. I changed it about two weeks ago (when the fuel filters were changed). Used Rotella, however, I'm wondering if there is a different brand that I should have gone with.
I had no idea about using certain brands for routine maintenance. I was a die hard Chevy girl for most of my life but their heavy duty stuff is CRAP. So now I'm playing catch up on all this Ford stuff. So, oil brand? Does it matter or not?

Quick Reply: Lost Power on Short Road Trip