Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

How Do I Open my Canvas Bed Cover?

Old 01-19-2013, 03:35 AM
soupy1957
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Do I Open my Canvas Bed Cover?

When I picked up my 2009 F-150 in December ("used" of course), I asked for a canvas bed cover to be installed. Usually in the past 3 "new" trucks I've bought, I've had a fiberglass cover (color-matched) installed from the "get go."

I don't know who is the designer of this cover, but I noticed that it has a "Ford" tag on it. (I'd imagine that it was made by some particular company FOR "Ford" and thus the requirement BY Ford that their name appear on it somewhere).

So......I've been driving around with this canvas cover on the truck, (raised arching ribs in two places on the cover), and have not had to open it until today. I'm supposed to help a family member get a treadmill in a nearby town.

Are most of the contemporary canvas tops designed with release latches these days (this is not a "snap down" type)? I'm not sure if this is a "role up" type, or a sectional type.

Can anyone give me some basic guidance so that I don't ruin/damage my top when I go to open or close it today? (Of course, here in New England, we are in Winter, so the cold will play a factor). The top is free of ice, snow, etc..

-Soupy1957

Old 01-19-2013, 06:15 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 237 Likes on 103 Posts
Open the tailgate, and look up under the cover. There's likely a mechanism that you twist to release the last crossmember. It should then then just rotate up, then roll the cover forward on top of itself. The edges may be fastened down with velcro. When recovering, just roll it back out, the last crossmember should fit in a groove on each side if the rail it was removed from, rotate down until it snaps in place, run your hand down the velcro on each side, and you're done.
I have an Access cover on my Ranger, the crossbars [supports], you see are integrated into the cover, so they roll up as you roll up the fabric.
Are you sure it's canvas? I didn't think anyone used canvas for much these days except for Carhartt.

The dealer didn't give you the owners manual that comes with it?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with Johnday...open the tailgate and look under the with a flashlight and see how it is set up. Most these days are on a track of some sort and others just roll back.

Does it look like this? This is the soft roll up cover from Ford.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:25 AM
soupy1957
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This particular cover (an admittedly cheap, bottom of the line canvas cover) has these grommets on straps, (x2) that snap down over pins that are part of the side rails, at the tail end of the cover; one on each side.

I released the grommets, and folded out these rubber runners that were part of the edges of the canvas, which fit into grooves (a white rubber runner above a black rubber runner on the sides and back ends).

Because of the colder temps, the canvas didn't want to roll up very well, so I abandoned that idea, but I DID notice some ties over and under the cab end of the canvas, for securing the rolled up canvas, had I been persistent at rolling it up.

I ended up removing the two removable cross rails that are designed (I suppose) to elevate the canvas and not permit a sagging of the material under load (snow, ice), and just sorta temporarily re-attaching the canvas runners.

The rear rail had to be removed, otherwise I would have to lift the load I had to put in the back, over it. It just popped out.

Then I noticed that a couple of the brackets (clamps) that hold the rails on), were a bit loose (not surprised that this could happen over time), so I found the appropriate Allen Wrench and tightened them a bit.

I also found, that without the outward pressure (tension) of the cross members, the rails tended to want to fold inward, toward the bed. So I was glad (when the hauling was all done) to get the cross rails in place again, to support the superstructure of the rail system.

There are (as I have seen) any number of designs available, for bed covers, and I would love to change this one out for a "better" or "more user friendly" design, but.........alas.......money is not available for this right now. Perhaps one day.

The canvas went back together correctly, in the end.

PrinceValium: Yes, it basically "looks like" that. However, mine does not have the embossed "Ford" logo on the cover itself. Just a "Ford" cloth tab on the end of the canvas. I DID notice a dis assembly/re-assembly instruction sheet, sewn into the canvas liner underside, in the back corner (FYI).

-Soupy1957

Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok good glad you got it worked out.