Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Anyone here convert an IDI to run off WVO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 PM
mozzles
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone here convert an IDI to run off WVO?

I'm looking at putting together a low cost but effective 2 tank WVO conversion for my truck, and had some vehicle specific questions if anyone here has done one before.

Curious whether the fuel switching valve is a 3 port or 6 port, and whether it would be sufficient for wvo use until I can get a better one. I'm aware that if I left it how it is, wvo would be going through the same fuel filter as diesel and that would be bad. So I was considering moving the valve to under the hood somewhere, got the idea from a thread I read somewhere on the internet and I believe it was the same truck. It was years old and he never updated with what he ended up doing.

If I did that, I was going to put the fuel filters (one for wvo and diesel each) before the valve at some point.

My other question is whether I'd need a fuel pump for the wvo tank or not. It seems some people use one on very low to help the lift pump a bit but not overpower it, but I've read that other people don't so I'm not sure. Would any adjustable electric fuel pump likely work?

My plan is to have a FPHE, heated fuel filter, heated fuel pickup in the wvo tank, hose in hose (for which sections I'm not positive yet), and the stock fuel selector valve if I can use it, if not most likely 2 3-way valves. Does this sound good or is there anything else I would need? My plan is to get as much of this done as I can for around $400 or $500, and hopefully have it be functional. Later on when I find another job and have more money, I can buy a few other things to perfect the setup.

I'm also going to be buying filtered and dewatered oil for $2.00 a gallon, which is about half the price of diesel around here, so I'd like to keep costs minimal overall at least until I get a filtering setup of my own. With the math I've done it would take 250 gallons or ~ $1000 before I break even, not a terrible amount when I spend between 80 and 100 dollars a month on diesel just getting to school and around town. It also takes around 25 gallons to make the trip to my home town and back so it should pay off fairly quick. IF I can stay within this budget.

Zac

Old 01-19-2013, 01:00 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Go back to the main forum page, and go down a forum or two. You'll find the alternative fuels forum and plenty of the answers you're looking for.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/

Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 AM
mozzles
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't find much specific info on the 6.9 last time I searched in that forum, but I'll re-post this in there and see if anyone knows. Thanks.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:25 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
6.9 and 7.3 IDI are essentially the same. I'm not sure how much info will be there, but those are the guys that actually run the stuff. Most of us here on this forum just do straight diesel and won't be able to answer your questions.