1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anyone interested in my upcoming book about the story and restoration of my Grandfather’s fire truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone interested in my upcoming book about the story and restoration of my Grandfather’s fire truck

Hello everyone. My new book on the story and restoration of my Grandfather’s fire truck is almost finished and I am trying to see how many copies I should get printed. For those who are not familiar with my restoration thread here is a link to it: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...heetmetal.html

The book is approximately 120 pages and will have a hard cover. It will cost around $30 plus shipping. The more copies I have printed, the lower the price per copy is, so the actual price may be lower.

Here is a little background for those who are not familiar with my grandfather’s truck and the restoration. My grandfather was a Captain on the Chicago Fire Patrol. The Patrol was organized and funded by Insurance Companies to help reduce their smoke and water damage claims. The fire patrolmen responded with the fire department to all fires and when they arrived on the scene and the fire department didn’t need assistance, they would go to work covering property and merchandise with water-proof tarps. For instance, it the fire was on the 3rd floor they would be on the floors below trying to beat the water being applied above them by the fire department. After the fire was over, they would rid the building of excessive water and prevent further damage to the building by covering broken windows and holes cut in the roofs. They would also put the fire sprinkler system back in service by replacing activated sprinkler heads thus protecting the build from another fire. Here is a link to my first book: http://chicagofirepatrol.com/

Since there was very little information about the Chicago Fire Patrol, I decided to write a book about the organization. The book completed in 2007, was a success and I sold copies all around the world. While researching the Patrol for the book, I befriended members of the Fire Museum of Greater Chicago. The Museum had the actual Fire Patrol truck that was used by my grandfather in the early 50’s. When they had to downsize their fire truck collection, the truck was sold to me. I have owned the truck since 2007 and have been restoring it ever since. While researching the truck and performing the restoration, I found it a fascinating story so I decided to write a book about the truck itself.

Here are some excerpts from the book:
“This is a story about a fire truck; my grandfather’s fire truck and its sixty year existence. From its construction and delivery to the Chicago Fire Insurance Patrol, to its nearly thirty year run in the fire service and finally, in my possession thirty-two years after my grandfather’s death.”
“My heart was racing when I heard it start up and I climbed aboard. It’s hard to describe to someone the feelings I was experiencing: Looking out the same windshield my grandfather had looked out some fifty years ago and pulling the handle hanging off the dashboard, to activate the siren as he had done while responding to fires. I imagined him in the seat, his large fingers pointing the route that he wanted his driver to take to the fire. I could see him putting on his fire coat and helmet while formulating his plan of action.”

I am not asking for any money at this time. I just would like to know how many would be interested in a copy. I have 65 requests for a copy so far! Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks Keith

Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 PM
South of BC
Elder User
I'll take one, I have a coffee table that is lonely!

Old 01-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Great James! Thanks! I got you down for one.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 01-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
No I wasn't so thanks for the link!! Interesting stuff.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 PM
CHUCK48-50
Tuned
Received 74 Likes on 27 Posts
You can put me down for one, Keith.
Chuck

Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Pretty sure I'm already on your list, but just making sure.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,832 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Keith,
Just in case I'm not already on the list

YES, YES, YES, I'll gladly buy a copy

Bobby

Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll buy one.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 763 Likes on 373 Posts
Same here, I can't remember if I told you already or not, but I'm in for one.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 PM
rustyrelic
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Put me down for one too!

Thanks, Reno

Old 01-19-2013, 03:13 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Guys, I appreciate your support!! I got you all down for a copy .

Chuck, when is your book on Ford Trucks coming out??

Old 01-19-2013, 03:24 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Reno, I just checked out your gallery and I have to say you have some mechanical skills!! Do you have any history on your fire truck?

Old 01-19-2013, 07:17 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will take a copy .Thanks.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Thanks Allan!!

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in my upcoming book about the story and restoration of my Grandfather’s fire truck