1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After product chip in a 2001 F250 Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Skeeter86
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After product chip in a 2001 F250 Super Duty

So when I bought my truck it already had a "Superchip" in it. I tried adjusting the setting as it is currently in "Safe-Tow" mode which means it thinks I'm pulling 6000+ lbs, but apparently my tuner is really out of date and wont work. I want to put an edge product in. I have spoke to a numerous mechanics about this and have got different answers from all of them. All the mechanics say that I need to flash my chip in order to force it back to stock setting and then I can program it with my Edge product. One machanic said that with Fords new software update if you flash a chip it wont allow you to put an aftermarket product on there and will just return it to stock and I wont ever be able to change that. Other mechanics have said that I should flash my chip and then can put whatever product I want on there.
I sold the majority of my toys and have no need to tow anything at the time. I want to put a new chip in to get better MPG but another mechanic told me that the "economy" setting is just like the "towing" setting and I should just keep my truck in the "safe mode" with super chips and not flash it. Again, .
Anyone have experience with flashing chips and getting good gas mileage with it? The truck has 180,000 on it and I am trying to figure out whether to keep the super chip in or flash it and put the edge product in. What would give me better gas mileage? Also it's a 7.3

Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
On a 7.3 truck, changing the calibrations can provide more power but not better MPG. In fact, some calibrations can get much worse mileage than stock. Fuel economy is primarily a function of driving style no matter which PCM calibrations you use.

If you really want to use an Edge product (or any sort of similar product), then you should consider returning your current PCM calibration to stock. The Superchips handheld module should be able to do that no matter how old it is. You can also have the dealer (or any number of custom tuners) reflash your PCM to a stock calibration and then you can start fresh again.

However, none of this is really necessary. You can simply purchase a TS sytle chip or a DP product and plug it directly into your PCM. Then you will have custom calibrations that can switch on the fly and will work no matter what is currently loaded on your PCM. If you don't yet have any gauges for EGT then you will want to stay with mild tunes to be reasonably safe. I would confortably suggest a Phoenix 6 position chip from Power Hungry Performance with a max power oncrease of 80hp for an otherwise stock truck. If you have gauges, then feel free to go with some hotter tunes (you have six settings to choose from). Last I checked, a PHP PHX chip was around $275 for a stock truck. Well worth the money and a much better product than any uploader such as Superchips, Edge, Bully Dog etc.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Skeeter86
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Superchips hand held module wont allow me to change it back to stock. It keeps giving me a "Error 8" message and I cannot change it to any other setting. I spoke with Suerchips customer service and they siad that it is due to a bad tuner or a bad pcm. I'm pretty certain it's not my pcm. The Superchips guy told me that I can send it in and they'll credit me $75 for a new tuner but my tuner is so old that they no longer produce that product and can't even fix it.
A Ford dealership mechanic told me that Ford has come out with a new software so if I get my chip flashed I wont be able to put any after market product on.....so still feeling frustrated and not knowing which step to take next.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Your Ford dealer is mistaken. Yes, Ford does now have a way to tell if the calibration has been altered but it does not prohibit any programmer uploading or calibration change. It merely sets a code stating the calibration has been changed and Ford can then initiate the warranty void procedure. Obviously this isn't a concern for any 7.3 owner.

If you want a quality HP gain via PCM programing then I recommend you order a PHX chip from PHP. According to their website, the owner was actually part of the team that originally wrote the factory calibrations for your truck. So if anyone knows the details about how to maximize performance, it would be them.

If you are able, send me a PM and we can discuss the details.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
#1, DO NOT buy an edge product. there are many many instances of the edge products frying the computers on our trucks.
if you want to put a tuner in your truck, go with a DP or TS chip.
secondly, i think you really should have the computer reset to stock before adding a chip.

you should contact one of the chip tuners like DP, PHP, Beans, or Tony Wildman with your concerns and what you want for your truck, and they will be able to tell you what you need, and do not need to do.