1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 Tailgate Protector

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:12 PM
MDSavage
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Tailgate Protector

I've looked through previous threads and didn't see one on a good way to install a tailgate protector on a 1986 tailgate. Does anyone have a good way to accomplish this? I have seen locks that wrap around a cup type hinge, but a 1986 tailgate is molded into the tailgate frame. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
??? Not sure of what you are asking. A tailgate protector might be one of the caps which mounts to the top edge of the tailgate, protecting it from items which project beyond the bed when the tailgate is closed [up position] and the item rests on top. I, personally, do not like these due to rust issues when water and dirt get trapped underneath.

The other protector might be what prevents someone from easily stealing the tailgate by removing it. Looking at the tailgate from the rear with it in the "down" position, you will see a cup on the right side where it pivots. This cup has an open area which when positioned correctly, allows the tailgate to be removed when needed. A thief can easily use this to his advantage. Just get an appropriately sized hose clamp and wrap it around this cup [with tailgate mounted normally] and tighten. This will slow down the tailgate removal [since the hose clamp will have to be removed] and that just might make the thief find a quicker mark!

Old 01-22-2013, 01:45 PM
MDSavage
New User
F150six, thanks for the reply. Sorry yes, it's the protector to keep the tailgate from being stolen. I've heard about the water clamp being used, but on my 86 tailgate the cup is molded into the gate itself. The front and rear panels are spot welded over the cup so a clamp or aftermarket locks won't work. The bottom is open to remove the gate...so trying to figure out how best to slow someone down that wants the gate more then I do!

Old 01-22-2013, 01:59 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You're right... I just looked closely at the one on my truck. Hmmm! How about drilling a small hole in the lip on the bottom of the tailgate near the cup and another hole in the body near the pivot point. A small cable [like the ground strap connecting the hood to the firewall] could then be attached using sheet metal screws. This strap would be long enough to not impede normal movement, but would inhibit removing the tail gate without tools to remove the screws. It would not be seen when the tailgate is closed.

Just a quick idea.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:41 PM
MDSavage
New User
Good suggestion. Actually what I did was drill a small hole on either side of the opening and used small screws to attach a painted strip of metal to close the opening. Since the tailgate is primo with An EFI and Lariat emblems I've been nervous to go to many places where I can't keep an eye on it. Although it's not totally original I can go in and get a six pack without worrying about the gate not being there when I return. If I see someone scratching their head at the back of the truck I'll figure they were up to no good ))

Old 01-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
You're right... I just looked closely at the one on my truck. Hmmm! How about drilling a small hole in the lip on the bottom of the tailgate near the cup and another hole in the body near the pivot point. A small cable [like the ground strap connecting the hood to the firewall] could then be attached using sheet metal screws. This strap would be long enough to not impede normal movement, but would inhibit removing the tail gate without tools to remove the screws. It would not be seen when the tailgate is closed.

Just a quick idea.
I like that idea. I may have to use that one myself.