Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53-55 f100 gas tank installation

Old 01-11-2013, 02:14 PM
gsato55
Senior User
gsato55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
53-55 f100 gas tank installation

Hi All,

I have a question I hope someone can answer. I'm installing a new 55 gas tank on a 56 f100 and was wondering if I should install the tank before setting the cab on the frame. The tank won't get delivered till Tuesday be I would like to set the cab while I have help. Thanks

Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 PM
SloppyJoe1955
Junior User
SloppyJoe1955 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well I can tell you on the 1955 I have you can put it on with the cab in place. But, it would be a lot easier with the cab out of the way to tighten all the bolts on the support brackets and getting the fuel line hooked up.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:12 PM
gsato55
Senior User
Thanks sloppyjoe 1955. I can hook up the sending unit wire and fuel line prior to mounting the tank so I should be okay. I was just hoping I can get the tank in without lifting the cab once installed. Thanks again for your quick response.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:35 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
The running board support arms (where the under-cab tank mounts) are different on the 56. They changed when Ford no longer needed to stamp them to accomodate a gas tank under the cab. You may want to do a little homework here before you get a surprise.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:35 AM
old ugly
Senior User
old ugly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
The running board support arms (where the under-cab tank mounts) are different on the 56. They changed when Ford no longer needed to stamp them to accomodate a gas tank under the cab. You may want to do a little homework here before you get a surprise.
Hi gsato,
I think you should take the above advise. Perhaps you already researched this but in case you haven't I'll try to explain. If you use the 56 running board brackets the fuel tank will sit to high and probably hit the floor. The best bet would be to find a set of 53-55 running board brackets. Also the 53-55 cabs had a removable plate on the floor to access the fuel line and sending unit wire. I believe to put the tank in with the cab in place you need to remove the brackets from the frame and mount them to the tank and lift the brackets and tank into place and bolt the brackets back onto the frame. On the 53-55 cabs you would then connect the fuel line and wire via the access hole in the floor. Hopefully my old memory is correct on this. If not someone will hopefully correct me.
Good luck and happy trucking, Old Ugly

Old 01-13-2013, 09:07 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
jaye is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unless I'm reading this wrong, the 55 tank will not fit on the 56, unless you cut a hole in the cab corner for the sprout or run a long hose to the passenger side to the 56's hole.
53-56 tank mount under the cab floor with the sprout on the driver's lower cab corner, 56 is on the upper passenger cab corner.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 AM
JimG1098
Posting Guru
JimG1098 is a splendid one to beholdJimG1098 is a splendid one to beholdJimG1098 is a splendid one to beholdJimG1098 is a splendid one to beholdJimG1098 is a splendid one to beholdJimG1098 is a splendid one to behold
I have noticed on my 54 F-750, ( same cab as yours) My gas tank was extreemly difficult to remove while the cab was in plce. The bolts for the brackets were nearly inaccessible due to MC plumbing and associated fitings., It is my intent to replace the tank while the cab is off, so at least I can have a chance at reaching the bolts for the support arms. Actually, I just remembered, my support arms are intact. When I puilled the cab, I then lossened the two straps to the tank and just lifted the tank off the brackets. It will be the reverse when I put it back.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 AM
gsato55
Senior User
Hi All;
I really appreciate all the help. I've already removed the rivets on the running board brackets just in case. I haven't installed the cab as yet, until I check all the clearances with the cab floor. All this help will undoubtably save me a lot of time and frustration. Thanks to all.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:01 PM
tempforce
Senior User
tempforce is starting off with a positive reputation.
53-55 fuel tank in a 56

i'm sure glad someone else is doing this… finding out about the running board brackets is going to save me a bunch of work later… as i plan on mounting a early tank on both sides of my truck. of course i'll have to deal with the dual tank filler from one side.. which i plan on moving from the right side, to the drivers side. and changing one tank to fill from the front to fill from the rear, like the left side..
cc

Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM
gsato55
Senior User
Well, I finally received the 55 gas tank from Mid-Fifties and layed it on the running board saddle to check the height clearance. Plan to set the cab temporarily to see if I'll run into height clearance. I installed the ajustable fuel sender, which had to be cut down in lenght, also the float arm had to be shortened because of the baffel and pick up tube. It's been a real hassle so far as I've yet to adjust the float level, which must be done with fuel in the tank. Must remember to do that before installing the cab since you can't remove the sender. Wish me luck.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 AM
gsato55
Senior User
I ordered the Dakota Digital gauge pack from Mid-Fifties, so must wait for that to show up. Has anyone installed an adjustable fuel sender and how difficult is it to get it to read properly? It may be advantageous to cut a trap door for easy access and for future sender replacement. All comments welcome.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:24 AM
gsato55
Senior User
Old ugly, you are absolutely correct. The cab left rear corner touches the filler tube and won't allow the body to sit correctly. Since I'm using the other brand's bed, I had to relocate the filler tube to the rear most upper part of the tank and had to pop a 2-1/2" hole in the rear of the cab which works out great. There is ample clearance between the top of the tank and the floor of the cab with the 56 brackets so that wasn't a problem. The key is, the 53-55 running board brackets are bolted on instead of riveted which allow one to remove the tank and brackets together. I'm sure the bolts are also welded to the brackets for it would be difficult to get a wrench on it. Hope this helps someone.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:44 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
I cut the running board brackets' bolt heads off with a torch. I had to as the vehicle had hit a stump or something and the brackets were folded up and covering the bolts. ALL torch work was done on the inside of the frame rail. Thus, the rail was between torch and fuel tank. There are some risks involved with this. Best to do on a very cold day to minimize any fuel vapor issues. Filling the tank with water is a good practice.

A buddy told me that they used to weld gas tanks by running a hose to an idling vehicle's exhaust pipe into the empty tank. Then they'd wait until the tank was good and hot from exhaust fumes and get 'er done. Theory was that exhaust had not enough oxygen to burn and the heat vaporized and drove any residual fuel out safely.

Use these ideas at your own risk!

BTW: the nuts on the outside of the rail do seem to be welded. They are square and if they were to spin, a box-end or blue wrench might be your only friends.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.Project-55 has a great reputation on FTE.
The nut's on my 55 running board brackets are actually pressed in. But my truck has had a hard life and most of them basically fell out or spun in the holes as I removed the bolts from the inside frame rail so instead of buying new ones from carpenter at a premium price I am Just going to tack weld new nut to the brackets and call it a day.