My New 2012 F250 XLT 4X4 "Scorpion" 6.7 *Official Journal* - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

My New 2012 F250 XLT 4X4 "Scorpion" 6.7 *Official Journal*

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New 2012 F250 XLT 4X4 "Scorpion" 6.7 *Official Journal*

Old 01-12-2013, 02:18 AM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by kper05 View Post
A little extra won't hurt.
I add 4 oz at 1/4th a tank simply because it's easy to follow the lines on the bottle.
If I refill at 1/4 for five tanks then the bottle lasted 100 miles since a bit below 1/4th will allow for 20 gal of fuel.
I think I have the 37.5 gal tank from the Kentucky plant.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Painted Horse
Posting Guru
Painted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant future
I have been thinking about additional lubrication like Opti-lube

You don't need both, Just choose one.

Just follow the dosage suggested on the label. There is no advantage to double dosing other than spending more of your money. Chances are with the rounding errors. Most folks are already running richer than the recommendations. You see folks at the pump all the time. "Hmm lets see, I think I need 20 gallons of fuel, So I'll dump in 4oz now as I start pumping so it mixes well. Ooops, 5 ounces went In, and the tank only took 18 gallons."

There was even one post where a fellow said his EGR was plugging up and the mechanics opinion suggested he was using too much additive and causing the problem because he was double dosing every fill up. Who knows if that was the real problem. Just what he reported.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 AM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Thanks, I will use 3oz for every 25 gallons
I'll take notes of how many gallons it takes to fill from 1/2,3/8,1/4 and 1/8 tanks and set up the proper dosage from there for each fill up which should help me use the proper amount to avoid over saturation of additives (PM-22-A) in my tank or fuel system.
Maybe running one full tank every 10 fills with 50% lower dose will help keep the system cleared.
This should help me figure out a good fueling/additive program.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 AM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Today I rinsed my car off and cleaned the wheels since it was the first Week (7 days) I owned her! Still haven't come up with a name for her.

Wheels cleaned, I noticed a few scuffs and marks on the wheels, I bought the car at night and did not see the marks, should I ask for perfect wheels or just live with it? Not very bad at all and I can look past that but what would you do? I also noticed some corrosion and drip marks on the rear bumper chrome just under the plastic covers that are not washing off easily. I'll let them know next Monday I guess.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:37 AM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Today I decided to check out a friends WRX wagon that sustained some body damage. The RX-7 crowd was there renting the lift on weekends to work on their cars. After they went for gas before the spirited drive.

I decided to join them on the scenic drive and views of the east bay hills.

An old 90 RX7 I used to own, sold it to a buddy of mines.

I now have 476.1 miles after 8 days of ownership. Not much driving yet.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:24 AM
SavageNFS
Post Fiend
SavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputation
Nice pictures...thanks for sharing.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 PM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Originally Posted by SavageNFS View Post
Nice pictures...thanks for sharing.
Thank You SavageNFS, I take it NFS is for "Need For Speed"
My Droid Razr Maxx HD phone can take some amazing shots and videos.
One thing that annoys me is the little holder when the center seat is folded down. The spot is made for an I phone!!!! My phone won't fit and I am not switching to an I-Phone!

Just called the dealer about my complimentary Bed Liner and All Weather Floor Mats. My sales man/finance guy asks, " Nobody called you"? , "No Mr Frost but yesterday 10 friends jumped into the bed of my truck and I think it's time I get it, Just let me know when you are ready, no rush"

Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
majkthreads is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.majkthreads is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
I have been thinking about additional lubrication like Opti-lube

You don't need both, Just choose one.

Just follow the dosage suggested on the label. There is no advantage to double dosing other than spending more of your money. Chances are with the rounding errors. Most folks are already running richer than the recommendations. You see folks at the pump all the time. "Hmm lets see, I think I need 20 gallons of fuel, So I'll dump in 4oz now as I start pumping so it mixes well. Ooops, 5 ounces went In, and the tank only took 18 gallons."

There was even one post where a fellow said his EGR was plugging up and the mechanics opinion suggested he was using too much additive and causing the problem because he was double dosing every fill up. Who knows if that was the real problem. Just what he reported.

Mine did using optilube in my 2006 6.0. Pluuged the EGR within 6 months of having the new one installed. Now I use fords stuff in the 2012.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:08 PM
SavageNFS
Post Fiend
SavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4 View Post
Thank You SavageNFS, I take it NFS is for "Need For Speed"
My Droid Razr Maxx HD phone can take some amazing shots and videos.
One thing that annoys me is the little holder when the center seat is folded down. The spot is made for an I phone!!!! My phone won't fit and I am not switching to an I-Phone!

Just called the dealer about my complimentary Bed Liner and All Weather Floor Mats. My sales man/finance guy asks, " Nobody called you"? , "No Mr Frost but yesterday 10 friends jumped into the bed of my truck and I think it's time I get it, Just let me know when you are ready, no rush"
RAM mount has a lot of different mounting options for phones and other gadgets. Check them out! I just ordered this Universal X Mount by Ram.

I actually just ordered some Ram mount stuff from my S3 and another item...it will be towards the end of the week before they arrive though.

Many people claim have suggested NFS stands for Need for Speed and it might has well have...but it actually originated from my R/C racing days of "Never finish second". I hated to lose...still do.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:31 PM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Thanks again SavageNFS, I will most likely end up going with the motorola suction cup mount for the windshield since I want it highly visible to myself and keep my eyes on the road. It may be farther away to use the touch screen to answer my calls but I will get used to the steering wheel controls over time.

I just got a call from "Chris" in the service center at my dealership, scheduled to drop off my car tomorrow at 9-9:30ish AM for my Bed Liner & All Weather Mats. Maybe I should get a part time job at the dealer so I can get deals on parts!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:08 AM
cjwetzel
New User
cjwetzel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice thread and congrats on the new ride! I bought a new 2013 F-350 Lariat 4X4 SB CC on Dec 28 after my 2004 blew it engine at only 80K miles. I am hoping, (praying) that this is a better engine than the 6.0. My mileage on the first two tanks was 15.4 based on the meter, 25% hwy, 75% city. As time goes on, I'll verify the meter because the meter in my 2004 falsly reported 17 MPG when I was only getting 14 MPG. Only mods so far are Rhino liner and soon to be 5th wheel install. Not going to do any performance mods on this one. I'll probable use diesel Kleen additive like before but will research it first.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Wrighton
Senior User
Wrighton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Maistroyda & RiverRatF-150!
I didn't know they made a long bed crew cab, thought all the 4 doors were short beds, I totally wanted this SuperCab 8' Long Bed.
The only thing I didn't get was Tuxedo Black with non chrome bumpers since ordering the package I wanted would take to long and they had this one on the lot ready to go. I plan to wrap the sides, front grill/bumper and tailgate with rear bumper,2 layers of flat black vinyl to protect and change up the color scheme a little. Keep the top white to reflect the sun and keep things cooler in the cab.
It's 1:18 in the morning and I can't stop thinking of an excuse to go for a drive! Got a full tank ready to go but I'm sitting tight till the morning so I can drop by a Ford dealer to pick up some Cetane booster. I was also thinking of dropping by the Bio-Diesel station here in Oakland to add a gallon of Bio-fuel, I heard this also helps with keeping the motor lubricated better but tends to foul up faster so burning it off faster would be better. So many different things to learn about driving a turbo diesel but I am enjoying myself and have been reading tons of posts here.

So add on list is:
Seat Covers
Side window visors
Skid Plate
Engine idle shut down
Mud guards
Fender flares/wheels/tires for off road 4X4
Waiting for the shocks to die before replacing them with Bilstein 5100

I do want a cat-back exhaust and intake but I will have to ask if there will be any warranty issues.
What do you guys think about the Banks or AEM cold air intakes?
I will get the dual tip Magnaflow Black exhaust, that one looks nice.

They make a long bed 4 door (crew cab) F350. Problem is finding a parking space for the beast. Really nice with the 8ft box pulling a 5th wheel.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 PM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
So, Yesterday I dropped by the dealer for my All Weather Mats and Bed Liner.
got to the dealer at 9am and they were done by 10:45am. I drove home and noticed some of the bolts holding the tailgate liner in were off looking. I got my screwdriver and started to tighten them and found out 3 of them were stripped! I called my salesman/credit guy and went back in. no biggie, the tech/customer relations/sales guy all handled it promptly. We went through the dealer lot and took a brand new tailgate from another truck then swapped the lock out and installed. Today (next day) I noticed the handle was not properly installed, well stuff happens but I went back again without calling around 12 noon. Again they promptly took care of me and gave me a credit for free oil change on of my other cars! Folsom Lake Ford is the best dealer and I recommend you buy your truck there. (un-solicited referrals here ) Their customer service is better then Mercedes, Audi, and BMW. This is my first American car and I dig it!
Some photos again!

Arrival for bed liner and mats

Liner Installed!

Swapping the tailgate out for a new one from stripped bolts

So after finally fixing everything they gave me the dealer gas card and filled up my second tank for me because of the trouble, I love these guys so far!
631.6 miles after 10 days of ownership (1-15-2013)!

Now I have to many cars at home! 1-16-2013

Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 AM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
First time on a little dirt road, did not kick up any dirt yet.

I hit 500 miles as I went on a 128 mile drive and got an average of 20.5 MPG @ 65-70mph at night.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Adobe 11SD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Alright, thanks again guys, I will probably end up making the 20oz. bottle into 4 - 5 doses for every fill up from 1/4 tank left.I doubt a little to much or less matters.
Once I get 4-5 empty bottles I can turn one bottle into single doses and keep them around in an organizer with other vital fluids for the car. I have been thinking about additional lubrication like Opti-lube, if the dealer I bought the car from says it's fine for warranty I may still sneak some in. I been making a list of things to ask them on my next visit.
I also thought about single dose bottles, but ended up using a 32oz Stabil bottle. Allows me to accurately measure how much PM-22 goes in the tank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My New 2012 F250 XLT 4X4 "Scorpion" 6.7 *Official Journal*

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: