Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2008 Escape Heated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM
KefusJoe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2008 Escape Heated Seats

I had to replace my battery in my 2008 Ford Escape Limited. Since then my heated seats do not work and neither button lights up. I checked the fuse bos on the passenger side of the console and checked the 20 amp fuse (position #18) and it was not blown. Does anyone have anymore ideas? Does anyone know which fuse would control them in the fuse box under the hood?

Thanks........Keith

Old 01-07-2013, 09:54 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KefusJoe
I had to replace my battery in my 2008 Ford Escape Limited. Since then my heated seats do not work and neither button lights up. I checked the fuse bos on the passenger side of the console and checked the 20 amp fuse (position #18) and it was not blown. Does anyone have anymore ideas? Does anyone know which fuse would control them in the fuse box under the hood?

Thanks........Keith
Check your owner's manual again as my '09 shows a second fuse at #43, 10A along with the same 20A at #18.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:59 PM
KefusJoe
New User
Bill, thank you I was not aware of the other fuse. Unfortunately I checked it and it wasn't blown either. I replaced the 10A and the 20A fuses in case they were bad but not visibly blown but that dai not fix it either. It is hard for me to believe it is anything but a power issue with both quitting after the battery change out and at the same time. Any more ideas?

Old 01-09-2013, 06:56 PM
TouringMike
Freshman User
Found this on another site:

I've been researching for hours about common heated seats problems, and I came across something notable.

Several people with Ford Expeditions with heated seats said that their heated seats stopped working (lights would not light anymore) after their batteries were changed.

The battery in my 2009 Escape was changed for whatever reason, the dealer noted...so this could potentially be the same problem.

"Try this.
3. Remove power to the DCSM and wait a minimum of 2 minutes. This will reset the DCSM.

^ Expedition/Navigator - remove Fuse 8 in the battery junction box (BJB).

4. Reinstall the fuse(s) and recheck for communication.

If this fixes it good. If not, I am affraid its a trip to the dealer. The DCSM is a box under the seat, it may need to be replaced."

Then this from the original post by the 2009 Escape owner:
Ok guys -- I just altogether disconnected the battery, let it sit 30 minutes, and reconnected the battery. Sure enough, the heated seat buttons respond now.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
I've read suggestions that say to remove the positive cable and touch/hold it on the negative post which quickly drains any capacitors in the PCM that are holding any residual voltage.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
KefusJoe
New User
Thanks guys. I removed #8 fuse with no luck but disconnected the positive terminal for 30 minutes and everything reset and heaters work perfectly now. My wife thanks you!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM
TouringMike
Freshman User
Originally Posted by KefusJoe
Thanks guys. I removed #8 fuse with no luck but disconnected the positive terminal for 30 minutes and everything reset and heaters work perfectly now. My wife thanks you!
Well, fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, eh...........Won't get fooled again.

Anyway, kind of goofy reset procedure, but if it works, what the heck.
Similar to what wptski posted (I would not try that!), draining any residual stored energy in the caps on the BCM sounds practical, but why didn't the seats heaters function? The caps in there aren't that large.

Oh well, glad it worked out for you.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TouringMike
Well, fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, eh...........Won't get fooled again.

Anyway, kind of goofy reset procedure, but if it works, what the heck.
Similar to what wptski posted (I would not try that!), draining any residual stored energy in the caps on the BCM sounds practical, but why didn't the seats heaters function? The caps in there aren't that large.

Oh well, glad it worked out for you.
I think my procedure cuts the wait time down to nothing. Your removing the positive cable so there isn't any real danger here. I've heard of different things happening after a battery swap. I have one of those cable one uses with jump pack that you plug into the OBD-II port. This keeps the PCM powered during a battery swap but it also keeps the battery cables powered! Shall I say sparks can happen!!!!

Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
TouringMike
Freshman User
Originally Posted by wptski
I think my procedure cuts the wait time down to nothing. Your removing the positive cable so there isn't any real danger here. I've heard of different things happening after a battery swap. I have one of those cable one uses with jump pack that you plug into the OBD-II port. This keeps the PCM powered during a battery swap but it also keeps the battery cables powered! Shall I say sparks can happen!!!!
Yeah, I've seen the small (9v battery I think) pack assists that plug into the cigarette lighter port to maintain electronic setting during battery swap out too.
Might be a good item to invest in.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TouringMike
Yeah, I've seen the small (9v battery I think) pack assists that plug into the cigarette lighter port to maintain electronic setting during battery swap out too.
Might be a good item to invest in.
Since it's a 12V system, I wasn't sure about using a 9V battery. Not all vehicles have the cigarette lighter wired directly to the battery buss, so I got the one that uses the OBD-II port which is wired directly on all vehicles and the cigarette lighter plug for a jump pack.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:53 PM
heli_doc
New User
Touching the positive cable to the negative worked for me too! I didn't use any supplemental voltage but it still remembered my settings. 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid

Old 12-26-2019, 03:49 PM
Doug Carney
New User
Glad I found this thread! I had the same problem - seat heaters didn't work (2009 Escape Hybrid) , lights on the switches didn't come on, both fuses good. The battery had been replaced this summer, so no reason to check then. I disconnected the positive terminal for about 5 minutes and that fixed the problem.

Thanks for the tip TouringMike!

Old 03-11-2020, 11:39 AM
Canadian Gamer
New User
For the people who have done this and have removed the positive terminal and it ended up working, are you talking about removing the positive terminal of the battery or something else? I have the same problem so looking to try this solution!