WVO burner has EXHAUST LEAK?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:48 PM
bike_guy123
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WVO burner has EXHAUST LEAK?

I posted this in the 7.3 forum as well, but thought I should post here. I have a 2000 PSD that is stock right down to the air filter and was converted to run on WVO (Golden Fuel Systems) about 100,000 miles ago. I have had ZERO issues with that other than ones I created on my own....

I have developed either an exhaust leak or an intake leak....Burning WVO, will it make it more difficult to see the exhaust leak because it burns cleaner? If so/not, what should I be looking for?

Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First off, what specifically is happening that makes you think you have an exhaust or intake leak? Those are two systems that would have completely different sets of symptoms.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 PM
bike_guy123
Senior User
Originally Posted by binuya
First off, what specifically is happening that makes you think you have an exhaust or intake leak? Those are two systems that would have completely different sets of symptoms.
I can hear it, sounds like it is coming from the top of the motor. I hear it best when cruising at speeds of 50+ where the rpms are up there. The noise continues after I let off on the pedal, it winds down with the speed. My fuel econonmy is in the toilet. The winding down with speed thing leads me to believe it is exhaust... I was under the truck again tonight with a good light, It looks like the up pipes have soot that travels about half way down the pipe or so, but it is pretty light...The truck still runs fine, but I have noticed an increase in exhaust temps, by about 150 degrees or so...I am not a mechanic by any means, but do have some mechanical ability if that makes sense...

Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by bike_guy123
It looks like the up pipes have soot that travels about half way down the pipe or so
That is an up-pipe leak and will easily cause the symptoms you describe. The problem is due to 'donut' seals where the up-pipes go into the collector.

You likely sucked up a french fry or a chicken wing causing this to happen. Its a hazard of running WVO...

Your options are:

Replace the donuts with new ones and possibly have a muffler shop flare the tubes to make a tight seal on the new donuts.

Replace the up-pipes and donuts with OE parts. (item #12)

2000 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY Parts - Tousley Ford Parts Depot

Upgrade to bellowed up-pipes:

Riffraff Diesel: International Bellowed Up-pipe Kit 99.5-03

Some have reported issues with these, but a lifetime warranty and 1/2 the price of the Int'l parts above might make it worth trying to you. Google around for best price:

Dorman Products - 679-005

Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 PM
bike_guy123
Senior User
[QUOTE=SkySkiJason;12687707]That is an up-pipe leak and will easily cause the symptoms you describe. The problem is due to 'donut' seals where the up-pipes go into the collector.

You likely sucked up a french fry or a chicken wing causing this to happen. Its a hazard of running WVO...

I tore down the intercooler and pulled the turbo wheel housing off to get to the pipes, broke a few bolts and busted a couple of knuckles. I worked up an appetite, but no worries, I ate the french fries and cheese curds sucked through the fuel filters.....I knew they called that thing a collector for a reason....

I got the drivers side pipe out tonight, and it doesn't look too bad...still looking for that soot covered pipe. The donut looks good and so does the top of the pipe, its not all pitted up. Gonna pull the rest of the turbo off tomorrow along with that other pipe...I figured as long as I was this far down, might as well replace all the connection rubber as well.....

I hope this tear down and replace fixes the leak....I wanna pull some sleds to the northland on GREASE next week.....Thanks for the heads up on the fixes...

Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by bike_guy123
I tore down the intercooler and pulled the turbo wheel housing off to get to the pipes, broke a few bolts and busted a couple of knuckles. I worked up an appetite, but no worries, I ate the french fries and cheese curds sucked through the fuel filters.....I knew they called that thing a collector for a reason....

I got the drivers side pipe out tonight, and it doesn't look too bad...still looking for that soot covered pipe. The donut looks good and so does the top of the pipe, its not all pitted up. Gonna pull the rest of the turbo off tomorrow along with that other pipe...I figured as long as I was this far down, might as well replace all the connection rubber as well.....

I hope this tear down and replace fixes the leak....I wanna pull some sleds to the northland on GREASE next week.....Thanks for the heads up on the fixes...
Its likely easier to remove the turbo than to pull the compressor housing off... The collector clamp is a PITA, but manageable with a few 'tricks'.

The up-pipes always leak at the collector eventually. The expansion/contraction of the pipes here causes them to end up a smaller diameter and the donuts no longer fit tightly. Some have used larger GM part # donuts and others have flared the pipes to fit OE donuts tightly - but both of these 'solutions' are hit or miss (more misses than hits by my count). The only permanent solutions are new pipes/donuts or going to a bellowed pipe design that eliminates the limited-lifespan donut connection altogether.

This is probably the lowest price CAC (intercooler) boots/clamps you can find.

Silicone Hose

I'd also recommend using plenum inserts and replacing the POS worm clamps found there with good t-bolt clamps.

Riffraff Diesel: RDP Plenum Reinforcing Inserts™

Be sure to build a boost leak detector and verify ya don't have boost leaks when ya put it back together.

I have over 275,000 miles on the high cholesterol diet now, so I pretty much expect my friends to tell me anything that happens to my trucks is due to WVO...