1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Off Topic - No Start Issue in Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 PM
TyBragg
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off Topic - No Start Issue in Duramax

Hey guys. I know this is not a chevy forum, but I don't know where else to look and thought there are enough of ya'll that work on other trucks that I might be able to get some kind of answer. I hope nobody minds. My brother has an 07 chevy 2500 duramax. He went to start it this evening, and he said it started just fine and ran just fine for a few seconds, then died. He couldn't get it to start again. We just replaced both batteries because they were very weak and I told him that they were probably on their last leg anyway. I don't know anything about these trucks. Does anybody have any ideas as to what this might be? I just talked to Bill, and he thought it could be a water-in-fuel problem, and the water froze. That makes sense - it is about 25 degrees here now (feels much colder though!). He just had the oil changed and fuel filter replaced last week (he doesn't work on vehicles at all). I told him to plug it in (which he never does) for about 4 hours and try it again to see what happens. I'm thinking that if there is any water in the fuel (or filter) that has frozen, then there should be enough residual heat from the block heater to possibly melt the frozen water and allow the fuel through. I told him if he couldn't get it to start tonight, then leave it plugged in until tomorrow morning and try again. I also thought about gelled fuel, but I don't think it's cold enough for that. Any thoughts? I wanted to check with you guys before he gets it towed to a shop.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:30 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does he get wait to start? Does the tach move...oh wait a minute. Sorry Tyler I couldn't resist. I have no idea, but here's a bump and a well wish that be gets its figured out!

Old 12-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
From the net :[QUOTE]
Customer Question
Ask your own question now >

no start duramax
Submitted: 796 days and 11 hours ago.
Category: Chevy
Bookmark and Share

Optional Information

Optional Information:
Year: 2004
Make: Chevrolet
Model: 2500 hd
Engine: duramax

Already Tried:
duramax no start. replaced fuel pump and filter. checked glow plugs ok. checked for stuck injector all ok. with glow plugs out. i show 29.8 lbs of boost when not running. i have 3 mpa fuel on cranking. i shoh 0 on mas sensor. what is engine compression in psi so i can test it. also what is main inj timing when cranking and what controles it. mine is 0 and des is 215

Posted by Mark 796 days and 2 hours ago.
Response From Expert

Greetings, my name is Mark.

I will do my best to help you. Please do not accept my answer unless you can leave positive feedback. It is important to me that I have helped you and you are satisfied with my answer. I don't know if you are a tech or just a person who is attempting to repair their own vehicle. I only know as much about your issue as you have told me on your post. My answers will be base on the amount of information I am reading. Try to give me as much detail as you can, so we can accurately solve your problem.

This truck is mostly electronic. Do you have access to any diagnostic scanners to read data or codes?

795 days and 9 hours ago.
Customer Reply

yes i do

Posted by Mark 795 days and 6 hours ago.
Expert's Answer

Then there should be some stored codes to start with. With the engine just cranking and not starting, it should have some codes. If not current codes, then history codes.

Below is a "preliminary" chart for a starting problem. It covers just the surface of all the areas. You said you had a scanner for performed tests, and the chart below requires some readings. Ideally, a GM tech II scanner is preferred.

I have included the proper method for an engine compression test, as you asked about that. However, I highly doubt your issue is engine mechanical. It could be, but it would be rare.

Let me know what you come up with, and I can help you with further diagnosis depending what area is at fault.

Hard Start or No Start

Inspection

Action

DEFINITION: The engine cranks OK, but does not start for a long time. The engine does eventually run, or may start but immediately dies.

Preliminary Inspection

• Refer to symptoms.
• Ensure the driver is using the correct starting procedure.

Sensor Inspection

• Inspect the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor. Use the scan tool to compare the ECT with the ambient air temperature on a cold engine. If the coolant temperature reading is more than 5 degrees more or less than the ambient air temperature on a cold engine, inspect for a high resistance in the coolant sensor circuit or the sensor itself.
• Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. Observe the actual fuel rail pressure with a scan tool. The actual fuel rail pressure should be between 1.0-1.8 MPa. If it is not, inspect for high resistance in the fuel rail pressure (FRP) sensor circuits or the FRP sensor.
• Inspect the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor reluctor wheel. Remove the CKP sensor and attempt to move the reluctor wheel front to back or side to side with a probe. If there is any movement the reluctor wheel retaining bolts are loose.

Fuel System Inspection

• Inspect the fuel pressure regulator 12-volt circuit for an intermittent short to ground. Observe the FRP Command percent while cranking. A range of 85-95 percent indicates a possible short to ground condition.
• Inspect the fuel supply to the fuel injection pump.
• Inspect for a restricted fuel filter. .
• Inspect for air in the fuel system.
• Inspect for external fuel leaks. .
• Inspect for high engine oil level.
• Inspect for low fuel pressure. Command the fuel pressure to 160 mPa with a scan tool while the engine is at idle. If 160 mPa is not achieved, perform the Fuel System Diagnosis - High Pressure Side.
• At idle observe the FRP Regulator Fuel Flow Command parameter with a scan tool. If the FRP Regulator Fuel Flow Command is more than 2700 mm³, perform the Fuel System Diagnosis - High Pressure Side.
• Inspect the fuel tank cap vent for proper operation.

Electrical System Inspection

Inspect for a slow cranking speed.

Air Intake System Inspection

• Inspect the air cleaner and air intake ducts for a restrictions or leaks.
• Inspect for a restriction in turbocharger inlet duct.
• Inspect for a restriction or a leak in the intake manifolds.

Exhaust System Inspection

Inspect the exhaust system for a possible restriction.

Engine Mechanical Inspection

Inspect the engine for the following conditions:
• Improper valve timing
• Bent pushrods
• Worn rocker arms--
• Low engine compression--
• Broken or weak valve springs
• Worn camshaft lobes--

Additional Inspection

• Inspect for an intermittent CKP signal.
• Compare the scan tool data at idle with the scan tool data list.
• Inspect the Service Bulletins for control module software updates.

Engine Compression Test
Tools Required
• EN-48694 Compression Gauge Adapter
• J-26999 Compression Gauge
• J-43244 Relay Puller Pliers

Ensure that the vehicle's batteries are in good condition, and fully charged.
Operate the vehicle until the engine is at normal operating temperature.
Shut off engine.
Disable fuel delivery system, by removing the EDU/IGN 1 relay.
Disconnect glow plug nut; remove all 8 glow plugs. All 8 glow plugs must be removed from the engine during each cylinder test to obtain valid test results.
Prior to taking a compression reading, verify the cranking speed is greater than 140 RPM. If the cranking speed is below 140 RPM, repair the slow cranking speed condition before continuing with the compression test.
Install the gauge in the glow plug hole for the cylinder that is being checked.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Notice: Do not add oil to any cylinder during a compression test as extensive engine damage may result.
Connect the gauge to the adapter.
Using the vehicle's starter motor, rotate or crank the engine for 6 compression strokes, puffs, for the cylinder being tested.
Observe the gauge and note the reading as the compression test is being performed. A normal cylinder reading will be indicated if compression builds up quickly and evenly to the specified level. An abnormal reading will be indicated if compression is low on the first compression stroke, starts increasing on the following compression strokes but does not reach the specified level.
Record the compression reading for the cylinder just tested.
Disconnect the gauge and remove adapter from the glow plug hole.
Repeat steps 8 through 13 for all remaining cylinders. All 8 cylinders must be tested to obtain valid test results. Record the readings.
The minimum compression in any one cylinder is 2069 kPa (300 psi). There should not be more than 345 kPa (50 psi) difference between a suspect cylinder and the average compression of all 8 cylinders.
• Normal - Compression builds up quickly and evenly to the specified compression for each cylinder.
• Piston Rings Leaking - Compression is low on the first stroke. Compression builds up with the following strokes but does not reach normal.
• Valves Leaking - Compression is low on the first stroke. Compression usually does not build up on the following strokes.

795 days and 6 hours ago.
Customer Reply

can you call and i can tell you all the values and what i have done9725713656

795 days and 5 hours ago.
Customer Reply

can you call and i can tell you all the values and what i have done9725713656 my des fuel is 42 but my ast is 2 to 3 when starting is it ok. regulator cmd is 22 the baro is 29 and boost is 29 y is this past codes are p0090, p0193, p0202, p0206, p0335, p2146, p2149, i have fixed all the codes i hope and cleared and have no codes at this time. it will run on starting fluid and that is it i know it is not good for it but just tryed it

Customer Reply

my main injector timing is staying at 0 is this right

Posted by Mark 795 days and 5 hours ago.
Expert's Answer

Hello back and it would be kinda difficult to get any further than we can, other than just through the computer. I am in the basement of my house, and my cell phone cuts out down here. I don't have a land line phone.

The readings that you are giving me here, really doesn't tell me anything. All the readings vary so much between running, temperature, and other factors, we don't really look too intently at data readings, other than just getting a reading or not.

Trouble codes and diagnostic charts is what we mostly go by. The flow charts take you step by step, instructing you to take readings with a Digital Volt Ohm Meter, and using the diagnostic scanner for reading.

I did look at your trouble codes and if you don't have any wiring or electrical issues, you're looking at your Fuel Injection Pump for that 0090 code. The 202, 206, and 2146, is pointing toward the Fuel Injection Control Module. That is the silver box off to the right of where your fuel filter is.

And your other codes are pointing towards the Engine Control Module. That's the main computer.

I have looked at any bulletins that apply and none point in any other areas. You mentioned that you have repaired all the trouble codes, and I am wondering if you actually replaced the fuel Injection Pump or the Engine Control Module.

Both of these components are extremely expensive, and I doubt you replaced them just guessing at your issue. And the Engine Control Module would have to be programmed.

Below I have included a diagnostic flow chart for a "no-start" condition. You can see the tools required and expected results from testing. As you read through the diagnostic chart, you can see all that you need to check to eliminate your possible failure. Don't bother clicking on any of the "blue-hyperlinks" as they will not go anywhere.

I suspect you have a serious issue here and you really should get it to a repair facility that has the tools to pin-point your issue.

Engine Cranks But Does Not Run
Circuit Description

The Engine Cranks but Does Not Run diagnostic table is an organized approach to identifying a condition that causes an engine not to start. The Engine Cranks but Does Not Run diagnostic table directs the service technician to the appropriate system diagnosis.

The Engine Cranks But Does Not Run diagnostic table assumes the following:
• The batteries are completely charged. Refer to Battery Inspection/Test in Engine Electrical.
• The cranking speed is within specifications. Refer to Engine Cranks Slowly in Engine Electrical.
• There is adequate fuel in the fuel tanks.
Diagnostic Aids

If the cause of an engine cranks but will not run condition has not been found, inspect for the following conditions:
• Hard starting only in cold ambient temperatures. These may cause an intermittent condition that may not occur in the service bay:
- Fuel heater inoperative, refer to Fuel Heater Inoperative.
- Ice blockage at the fuel pickup in the fuel tank. This will be a high vacuum in the supply lines while cranking, and the problem will disappear after the vehicle is brought in the service bay. It may also exhibit a start and stall condition or a starting condition with no acceleration.
• The correct cranking speed is 100 RPM cold and 180 RPM hot. A scan tool can be used to inspect cranking speed by pulling the ignition 1 relay and monitoring engine speed on the scan tool while cranking.
• Water or foreign material in fuel system
• A basic engine problem
• If the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the camshaft position (CMP) sensor are disconnected or malfunctioning at the same time, an Engine Cranks But Does Not Run condition will exist.
Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

This step tests for an ignition 1 voltage supply to the engine control module (ECM).

This step tests the 12-volt reference circuit to the CKP sensor and the CMP sensor. The 12-volt reference circuit for the CKP sensor and the CMP sensor is connected internally within the ECM. If the 12-volt reference circuit is shorted to ground, the engine will not start and no engine speed will be indicated on the scan tool.

If there is fuel in the engine oil, fuel may be leaking from the fuel injector or fuel injection pump into the crankcase.

If the fuel system will not even briefly prime to 10 psi and will not start, the check valve in the fuel filter/heater element housing is stuck open.

This step determines if the fuel system is bleeding down causing a no start. The fuel pressure will slowly drop to 0 psi, but should still be above 8 psi 10 seconds after pressurizing the fuel system.

This step determines if the problem is a stuck open or broken fuel injector. If fuel vapors come out of any of the glow plug holes, excessive fuel is being sent into a cylinder, and not being distributed to all of the fuel injectors.

The engine will not run without an actual fuel rail pressure more than 10 Mia (1,450 psi).

If the no-start condition takes place in cold operating temperatures, 2-4°C (35-40°F) or colder, a glow plug system failure may cause the no-start condition.

In some cases, no compression, possibly with excessive fuel, in a single cylinder can cause a no start.

Step

Action

Values

Yes

No

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls

Turn On the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Observe the DTC Information with a scan tool.

Does the scan tool display DTC P0090, P0335, P0336, P0340, P0370, P0374, P0380, P0601, P0602, P0603, P0604, P0611, P0612, P1621, P1626, P1631, P1683, or U1800?

--

Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List

Go to Step 3

Is the customer's concern with a fuel smell or fuel leak?

--

Go to Fuel Leak Diagnosis

Go to Step 4

Observe the Actual Fuel Rail Pressure parameter with a scan tool.

Is the pressure within the specified range?

1-1.8 MPa

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 18

Observe the Ignition 1 signal parameter with a scan tool.

Is the Ignition 1 signal parameter at the specified value?

B+

Go to Step 6

Go to Step 24

Attempt to start the engine.
Observe the Engine Speed parameter with a scan tool while the engine is cranking.

Is the Engine Speed parameter more than the specified value?

0 RPM

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 19

Inspect for the following conditions:
• Excessive fuel in the engine oil--Refer to Fuel in Engine Oil in Engine Mechanical.
• Contaminated Fuel--Refer to Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 8

Install the J 44638 Vacuum Gauge to the fuel system service port on the right front side of the engine.
Attempt to hand prime the fuel manager 30 times or until the specified pressure is reached.

Can you prime the system to the specified value?

8 psi

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 31

Does the pressure measure more than the specified value for more than 2 minutes?

2 psi

Go to Step 10

Go to Step 13

Perform the Engine Compression Test. Refer to Engine Compression Test in Engine Mechanical - 6.6L. Repair the engine as necessary.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 11

Did any of the cylinders emit any fuel vapor during the Engine Compression Test?

--

Go to Step 28

Go to Step 12

Crank the engine for 15 seconds.

Is the Actual Fuel Rail Pressure parameter more than the specified value?

10 MPa (1,450 psi)

Go to Step 14

Go to Step 13

Reprime the fuel manager to 10 psi.
Attempt to start the engine while the prime is still above 8 psi.

Does the engine start?

--

Go to Fuel System Diagnosis

Go to Fuel System Diagnosis - High Pressure Side

Observe the Glow Plug System Type parameter with a scan tool.

Is the Glow Plug System Type Federal?

--

Go to Step 15

Go to Step 16

Important: Repeat this procedure on both banks of the engine. This test may be repeated as many times as necessary.

Turn OFF the ignition.
Connect a test lamp to a glow plug harness connector and a good ground on one side of the engine.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

Does the test lamp turn ON and OFF?

--

Go to Step 16

Go to Glow Plug System Diagnosis

Important: If there is high resistance in the signal or low reference circuits of the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor the Engine Speed parameter of the scan tool will display a value more than 0. It will not be an accurate measure of engine speed, and can cause an Engine Cranks but does Not Run condition.

Test the CKP sensor signal and low reference circuits for high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 17

• A plugged air filter
• A collapsed air intake duct
• The fuel heater is inoperative. If the customer concern is that the engine will not start when ambient temperatures are less than 2-4°C (35-40°F), refer to Fuel Heater Inoperative.
• A restricted exhaust system--Refer to Symptoms - Engine Exhaust in Engine Exhaust.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Diagnostic Aids

Disconnect the fuel rail pressure (FRP) sensor.
Observe the Actual Fuel Rail Pressure parameter on the scan tool.

Does the Actual Fuel Rail Pressure parameter measure more than the specified value?

175 MPa

Go to Step 23

Go to Step 22

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the CKP sensor.
Probe the 12-volt reference circuit of the CKP sensor with a DMM connected to a good ground.

Is the voltage more than the specified value?

10 V

Go to Step 29

Go to Step 20

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the camshaft position (CMP) sensor.
Probe the 12-volt reference circuit of the CMP sensor with a DMM connected to a good ground.

10 V

Go to Step 30

Go to Step 21

Test the 12-volt reference circuit of the CKP sensor and the CMP sensor for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 33

Test the FRP sensor signal circuit for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 33

Test the FRP sensor circuits for high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 25

Test the ignition 1 voltage circuit of the engine control module (ECM) for a short to ground, a high resistance, or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Replace the fuse if necessary.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 26

Test for an intermittent or for a poor connection at the FRP sensor. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 32

Clean and tighten the ECM shared ground. Refer to Power and Grounding Component Views in Wiring Systems.

Does the engine start?

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 27

Test for an intermittent and for a poor connection at the ECM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and to Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 33

Important: When the fuel injector pressure lines are removed, debris will fall on the fuel injector inlet fitting. Vacuum the debris from the area to prevent the debris from falling in the fuel injector.

Replace the fuel injectors on the affected cylinders. Refer to Fuel Injector Replacement.

Did you complete the replacement?

--

Go to Step 34

--

Replace the CKP sensor. Refer to Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement.

--

Go to Step 34

--

Replace the CMP sensor. Refer to Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement.

--

Go to Step 34

--

Important: Before replacing the fuel filter/heater element housing, inspect the fuel vent screw for damage or cross threading. Replace the vent screw w/"O" ring if either condition is found.

Replace the fuel filter/heater element housing. Refer to Fuel Filter Assembly Replacement.

--

Go to Step 34

--

Replace the FRP sensor. Refer to Fuel Injection Fuel Rail Fuel Pressure Sensor Replacement.

--

Go to Step 34

--

Replace the engine control module (ECM). Refer to Engine Control Module Replacement.

--

Go to Step 34

--

Clear any DTCs with a scan tool.

Does the engine start and continue to run?

--

Go to Step 35

Go to Step 2

Allow the engine to idle until normal operating temperature is reached.

Are any DTCs displayed?

--

System OK

Read more: No start duramax - JustAnswer No start duramax - JustAnswer
[QUOTE]

Old 12-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
From the net :[QUOTE]
Customer Question
Ask your own question now >

no start duramax
Submitted: 796 days and 11 hours ago.
Category: Chevy
Bookmark and Share

Optional Information

Optional Information:
Year: 2004
Make: Chevrolet
Model: 2500 hd
Engine: duramax

Already Tried:
duramax no start. replaced fuel pump and filter. checked glow plugs ok. checked for stuck injector all ok. with glow plugs out. i show 29.8 lbs of boost when not running. i have 3 mpa fuel on cranking. i shoh 0 on mas sensor. what is engine compression in psi so i can test it. also what is main inj timing when cranking and what controles it. mine is 0 and des is 215

Posted by Mark 796 days and 2 hours ago.
Response From Expert

Greetings, my name is Mark.

I will do my best to help you. Please do not accept my answer unless you can leave positive feedback. It is important to me that I have helped you and you are satisfied with my answer. I don't know if you are a tech or just a person who is attempting to repair their own vehicle. I only know as much about your issue as you have told me on your post. My answers will be base on the amount of information I am reading. Try to give me as much detail as you can, so we can accurately solve your problem.

This truck is mostly electronic. Do you have access to any diagnostic scanners to read data or codes?

795 days and 9 hours ago.
Customer Reply

yes i do

Posted by Mark 795 days and 6 hours ago.
Expert's Answer

Then there should be some stored codes to start with. With the engine just cranking and not starting, it should have some codes. If not current codes, then history codes.

Below is a "preliminary" chart for a starting problem. It covers just the surface of all the areas. You said you had a scanner for performed tests, and the chart below requires some readings. Ideally, a GM tech II scanner is preferred.

I have included the proper method for an engine compression test, as you asked about that. However, I highly doubt your issue is engine mechanical. It could be, but it would be rare.

Let me know what you come up with, and I can help you with further diagnosis depending what area is at fault.

Hard Start or No Start

Inspection

Action

DEFINITION: The engine cranks OK, but does not start for a long time. The engine does eventually run, or may start but immediately dies.

Preliminary Inspection

• Refer to symptoms.
• Ensure the driver is using the correct starting procedure.

Sensor Inspection

• Inspect the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor. Use the scan tool to compare the ECT with the ambient air temperature on a cold engine. If the coolant temperature reading is more than 5 degrees more or less than the ambient air temperature on a cold engine, inspect for a high resistance in the coolant sensor circuit or the sensor itself.
• Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. Observe the actual fuel rail pressure with a scan tool. The actual fuel rail pressure should be between 1.0-1.8 MPa. If it is not, inspect for high resistance in the fuel rail pressure (FRP) sensor circuits or the FRP sensor.
• Inspect the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor reluctor wheel. Remove the CKP sensor and attempt to move the reluctor wheel front to back or side to side with a probe. If there is any movement the reluctor wheel retaining bolts are loose.

Fuel System Inspection

• Inspect the fuel pressure regulator 12-volt circuit for an intermittent short to ground. Observe the FRP Command percent while cranking. A range of 85-95 percent indicates a possible short to ground condition.
• Inspect the fuel supply to the fuel injection pump.
• Inspect for a restricted fuel filter. .
• Inspect for air in the fuel system.
• Inspect for external fuel leaks. .
• Inspect for high engine oil level.
• Inspect for low fuel pressure. Command the fuel pressure to 160 mPa with a scan tool while the engine is at idle. If 160 mPa is not achieved, perform the Fuel System Diagnosis - High Pressure Side.
• At idle observe the FRP Regulator Fuel Flow Command parameter with a scan tool. If the FRP Regulator Fuel Flow Command is more than 2700 mm³, perform the Fuel System Diagnosis - High Pressure Side.
• Inspect the fuel tank cap vent for proper operation.

Electrical System Inspection

Inspect for a slow cranking speed.

Air Intake System Inspection

• Inspect the air cleaner and air intake ducts for a restrictions or leaks.
• Inspect for a restriction in turbocharger inlet duct.
• Inspect for a restriction or a leak in the intake manifolds.

Exhaust System Inspection

Inspect the exhaust system for a possible restriction.

Engine Mechanical Inspection

Inspect the engine for the following conditions:
• Improper valve timing
• Bent pushrods
• Worn rocker arms--
• Low engine compression--
• Broken or weak valve springs
• Worn camshaft lobes--

Additional Inspection

• Inspect for an intermittent CKP signal.
• Compare the scan tool data at idle with the scan tool data list.
• Inspect the Service Bulletins for control module software updates.

Engine Compression Test
Tools Required
• EN-48694 Compression Gauge Adapter
• J-26999 Compression Gauge
• J-43244 Relay Puller Pliers

Ensure that the vehicle's batteries are in good condition, and fully charged.
Operate the vehicle until the engine is at normal operating temperature.
Shut off engine.
Disable fuel delivery system, by removing the EDU/IGN 1 relay.
Disconnect glow plug nut; remove all 8 glow plugs. All 8 glow plugs must be removed from the engine during each cylinder test to obtain valid test results.
Prior to taking a compression reading, verify the cranking speed is greater than 140 RPM. If the cranking speed is below 140 RPM, repair the slow cranking speed condition before continuing with the compression test.
Install the gauge in the glow plug hole for the cylinder that is being checked.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Notice: Do not add oil to any cylinder during a compression test as extensive engine damage may result.
Connect the gauge to the adapter.
Using the vehicle's starter motor, rotate or crank the engine for 6 compression strokes, puffs, for the cylinder being tested.
Observe the gauge and note the reading as the compression test is being performed. A normal cylinder reading will be indicated if compression builds up quickly and evenly to the specified level. An abnormal reading will be indicated if compression is low on the first compression stroke, starts increasing on the following compression strokes but does not reach the specified level.
Record the compression reading for the cylinder just tested.
Disconnect the gauge and remove adapter from the glow plug hole.
Repeat steps 8 through 13 for all remaining cylinders. All 8 cylinders must be tested to obtain valid test results. Record the readings.
The minimum compression in any one cylinder is 2069 kPa (300 psi). There should not be more than 345 kPa (50 psi) difference between a suspect cylinder and the average compression of all 8 cylinders.
• Normal - Compression builds up quickly and evenly to the specified compression for each cylinder.
• Piston Rings Leaking - Compression is low on the first stroke. Compression builds up with the following strokes but does not reach normal.
• Valves Leaking - Compression is low on the first stroke. Compression usually does not build up on the following strokes.

795 days and 6 hours ago.
Customer Reply

can you call and i can tell you all the values and what i have done9725713656

Customer Reply

can you call and i can tell you all the values and what i have done9725713656 my des fuel is 42 but my ast is 2 to 3 when starting is it ok. regulator cmd is 22 the baro is 29 and boost is 29 y is this past codes are p0090, p0193, p0202, p0206, p0335, p2146, p2149, i have fixed all the codes i hope and cleared and have no codes at this time. it will run on starting fluid and that is it i know it is not good for it but just tryed it

Customer Reply

my main injector timing is staying at 0 is this right

Posted by Mark 795 days and 5 hours ago.
Expert's Answer

Hello back and it would be kinda difficult to get any further than we can, other than just through the computer. I am in the basement of my house, and my cell phone cuts out down here. I don't have a land line phone.

The readings that you are giving me here, really doesn't tell me anything. All the readings vary so much between running, temperature, and other factors, we don't really look too intently at data readings, other than just getting a reading or not.

Trouble codes and diagnostic charts is what we mostly go by. The flow charts take you step by step, instructing you to take readings with a Digital Volt Ohm Meter, and using the diagnostic scanner for reading.

I did look at your trouble codes and if you don't have any wiring or electrical issues, you're looking at your Fuel Injection Pump for that 0090 code. The 202, 206, and 2146, is pointing toward the Fuel Injection Control Module. That is the silver box off to the right of where your fuel filter is.

And your other codes are pointing towards the Engine Control Module. That's the main computer.

I have looked at any bulletins that apply and none point in any other areas. You mentioned that you have repaired all the trouble codes, and I am wondering if you actually replaced the fuel Injection Pump or the Engine Control Module.

Both of these components are extremely expensive, and I doubt you replaced them just guessing at your issue. And the Engine Control Module would have to be programmed.

Below I have included a diagnostic flow chart for a "no-start" condition. You can see the tools required and expected results from testing. As you read through the diagnostic chart, you can see all that you need to check to eliminate your possible failure. Don't bother clicking on any of the "blue-hyperlinks" as they will not go anywhere.

I suspect you have a serious issue here and you really should get it to a repair facility that has the tools to pin-point your issue.

Engine Cranks But Does Not Run
Circuit Description

The Engine Cranks but Does Not Run diagnostic table is an organized approach to identifying a condition that causes an engine not to start. The Engine Cranks but Does Not Run diagnostic table directs the service technician to the appropriate system diagnosis.

The Engine Cranks But Does Not Run diagnostic table assumes the following:
• The batteries are completely charged. Refer to Battery Inspection/Test in Engine Electrical.
• The cranking speed is within specifications. Refer to Engine Cranks Slowly in Engine Electrical.
• There is adequate fuel in the fuel tanks.
Diagnostic Aids

If the cause of an engine cranks but will not run condition has not been found, inspect for the following conditions:
• Hard starting only in cold ambient temperatures. These may cause an intermittent condition that may not occur in the service bay:
- Fuel heater inoperative, refer to Fuel Heater Inoperative.
- Ice blockage at the fuel pickup in the fuel tank. This will be a high vacuum in the supply lines while cranking, and the problem will disappear after the vehicle is brought in the service bay. It may also exhibit a start and stall condition or a starting condition with no acceleration.
• The correct cranking speed is 100 RPM cold and 180 RPM hot. A scan tool can be used to inspect cranking speed by pulling the ignition 1 relay and monitoring engine speed on the scan tool while cranking.
• Water or foreign material in fuel system
• A basic engine problem
• If the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the camshaft position (CMP) sensor are disconnected or malfunctioning at the same time, an Engine Cranks But Does Not Run condition will exist.
Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

This step tests for an ignition 1 voltage supply to the engine control module (ECM).

This step tests the 12-volt reference circuit to the CKP sensor and the CMP sensor. The 12-volt reference circuit for the CKP sensor and the CMP sensor is connected internally within the ECM. If the 12-volt reference circuit is shorted to ground, the engine will not start and no engine speed will be indicated on the scan tool.

If there is fuel in the engine oil, fuel may be leaking from the fuel injector or fuel injection pump into the crankcase.

If the fuel system will not even briefly prime to 10 psi and will not start, the check valve in the fuel filter/heater element housing is stuck open.

This step determines if the fuel system is bleeding down causing a no start. The fuel pressure will slowly drop to 0 psi, but should still be above 8 psi 10 seconds after pressurizing the fuel system.

This step determines if the problem is a stuck open or broken fuel injector. If fuel vapors come out of any of the glow plug holes, excessive fuel is being sent into a cylinder, and not being distributed to all of the fuel injectors.

The engine will not run without an actual fuel rail pressure more than 10 Mia (1,450 psi).

If the no-start condition takes place in cold operating temperatures, 2-4°C (35-40°F) or colder, a glow plug system failure may cause the no-start condition.

In some cases, no compression, possibly with excessive fuel, in a single cylinder can cause a no start.

Step

Action

Values

Yes

No

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls

Turn On the ignition, with the engine OFF.

Does the scan tool display DTC P0090, P0335, P0336, P0340, P0370, P0374, P0380, P0601, P0602, P0603, P0604, P0611, P0612, P1621, P1626, P1631, P1683, or U1800?

--

Go to Step 3

Is the customer's concern with a fuel smell or fuel leak?

--

Go to Fuel Leak Diagnosis

Go to Step 4

Is the pressure within the specified range?

1-1.8 MPa

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 18

Observe the Ignition 1 signal parameter with a scan tool.

Is the Ignition 1 signal parameter at the specified value?

B+

Go to Step 6

Go to Step 24

Observe the Engine Speed parameter with a scan tool while the engine is cranking.

Is the Engine Speed parameter more than the specified value?

0 RPM

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 19

• Excessive fuel in the engine oil--Refer to Fuel in Engine Oil in Engine Mechanical.
• Contaminated Fuel--Refer to Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 8

Install the J 44638 Vacuum Gauge to the fuel system service port on the right front side of the engine.
Attempt to hand prime the fuel manager 30 times or until the specified pressure is reached.

Can you prime the system to the specified value?

8 psi

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 31

Does the pressure measure more than the specified value for more than 2 minutes?

2 psi

Go to Step 10

Go to Step 13

Perform the Engine Compression Test. Refer to Engine Compression Test in Engine Mechanical - 6.6L. Repair the engine as necessary.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 11

Did any of the cylinders emit any fuel vapor during the Engine Compression Test?

--

Go to Step 28

Go to Step 12

Crank the engine for 15 seconds.

Is the Actual Fuel Rail Pressure parameter more than the specified value?

10 MPa (1,450 psi)

Go to Step 14

Go to Step 13

Reprime the fuel manager to 10 psi.
Attempt to start the engine while the prime is still above 8 psi.

Does the engine start?

--

Go to Fuel System Diagnosis

Go to Fuel System Diagnosis - High Pressure Side

Observe the Glow Plug System Type parameter with a scan tool.

Is the Glow Plug System Type Federal?

--

Go to Step 15

Go to Step 16

Important: Repeat this procedure on both banks of the engine. This test may be repeated as many times as necessary.

Turn OFF the ignition.
Connect a test lamp to a glow plug harness connector and a good ground on one side of the engine.

Does the test lamp turn ON and OFF?

--

Go to Step 16

Go to Glow Plug System Diagnosis

Important: If there is high resistance in the signal or low reference circuits of the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor the Engine Speed parameter of the scan tool will display a value more than 0. It will not be an accurate measure of engine speed, and can cause an Engine Cranks but does Not Run condition.

Test the CKP sensor signal and low reference circuits for high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 17

• A plugged air filter
• A collapsed air intake duct
• The fuel heater is inoperative. If the customer concern is that the engine will not start when ambient temperatures are less than 2-4°C (35-40°F), refer to Fuel Heater Inoperative.
• A restricted exhaust system--Refer to Symptoms - Engine Exhaust in Engine Exhaust.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Diagnostic Aids

Disconnect the fuel rail pressure (FRP) sensor.
Observe the Actual Fuel Rail Pressure parameter on the scan tool.

Does the Actual Fuel Rail Pressure parameter measure more than the specified value?

175 MPa

Go to Step 23

Go to Step 22

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the CKP sensor.
Probe the 12-volt reference circuit of the CKP sensor with a DMM connected to a good ground.

10 V

Go to Step 29

Go to Step 20

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the camshaft position (CMP) sensor.
Probe the 12-volt reference circuit of the CMP sensor with a DMM connected to a good ground.

10 V

Go to Step 30

Go to Step 21

Test the 12-volt reference circuit of the CKP sensor and the CMP sensor for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 33

Test the FRP sensor signal circuit for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 33

Test the FRP sensor circuits for high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 25

Test the ignition 1 voltage circuit of the engine control module (ECM) for a short to ground, a high resistance, or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Replace the fuse if necessary.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 26

Test for an intermittent or for a poor connection at the FRP sensor. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 32

Clean and tighten the ECM shared ground. Refer to Power and Grounding Component Views in Wiring Systems.

Does the engine start?

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 27

Test for an intermittent and for a poor connection at the ECM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and to Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 34

Go to Step 33

Important: When the fuel injector pressure lines are removed, debris will fall on the fuel injector inlet fitting. Vacuum the debris from the area to prevent the debris from falling in the fuel injector.

Replace the fuel injectors on the affected cylinders. Refer to Fuel Injector Replacement.

--

Go to Step 34

--

Replace the CKP sensor. Refer to Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement.

--

Go to Step 34

--

Replace the CMP sensor. Refer to Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement.

--

Go to Step 34

--

Important: Before replacing the fuel filter/heater element housing, inspect the fuel vent screw for damage or cross threading. Replace the vent screw w/"O" ring if either condition is found.

Replace the fuel filter/heater element housing. Refer to Fuel Filter Assembly Replacement.

--

Go to Step 34

--

Replace the FRP sensor. Refer to Fuel Injection Fuel Rail Fuel Pressure Sensor Replacement.

--

Go to Step 34

--

Replace the engine control module (ECM). Refer to Engine Control Module Replacement.

--

Go to Step 34

--

Clear any DTCs with a scan tool.

Does the engine start and continue to run?

--

Go to Step 35

Go to Step 2

Allow the engine to idle until normal operating temperature is reached.

Are any DTCs displayed?

--

System OK

Read more: No start duramax - JustAnswer No start duramax - JustAnswer
[QUOTE]

Old 12-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
A little more :
Below is the only info I have for scan tool readings. I don't see anything for timing.

Scan Tool Data Definitions

A list of each data message displayed on the scan tool will be explained in Engine Controls. This information will assist in emission or driveability problems. The displays can be viewed while the vehicle is being driven. Always perform the Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls first. The Diagnostic System Check will confirm proper system operation.
4WD Low Signal: This parameter displays the state of the transfer case based on the signal from the four wheel drive (4WD) low switch. The scan tool will display Enabled or Disabled. Enabled indicates the transfer case is in 4WD low gear and the 4WD low switch is closed, completing the low signal circuit. Disabled indicates the transfer case is not in 4WD low gear and the 4WD low switch is open.

4WD Signal: This parameter displays the state of the transfer case based on the signal from the front axle indicator switch. The scan tool will display Enabled or Disabled. Enabled indicates the front axle is locked in four wheel drive and the front axle indicator switch is closed, supplying voltage to the controller on the axle switch signal circuit. Disabled indicates the transfer case is not in four wheel drive and the front axle indicator switch is open.

5 Volts Reference 1: This parameter displays the voltage sensed on the 5-volt reference 1 circuit at the control module. The scan tool will display a higher value at higher voltage. The scan tool will display a lower value at lower voltage.

5 Volts Reference 2: This parameter displays the voltage sensed on the 5-volt reference 2 circuit at the control module. The scan tool will display a higher value at higher voltage. the scan tool will display a lower value at lower voltage.

5 Volts Reference 3: This parameter displays the voltage sensed on the 5-volt reference 3 circuit at the control module. The scan tool will display a higher value at higher voltage. the scan tool will display a lower value at lower voltage.

A/C Clutch Feedback Signal: This parameter displays the state of the air conditioning (A/C) compressor clutch based on the signal from the switched side of the A/C clutch relay. The scan tool will display Relay On or Relay Off. Relay On indicates the A/C clutch relay has closed, allowing voltage to the A/C compressor clutch. Relay Off indicates the A/C clutch relay is open and the A/C compressor clutch is not engaged.

A/C High Side Pressure Sensor: This parameter displays the voltage signal sent to the control module from the A/C high side pressure sensor. The A/C high side pressure sensor has a range of values indicating a low refrigerant pressure when the voltage is low to a high refrigerant pressure when the voltage is high.

A/C Relay Command: This parameter displays the commanded state of the air conditioning (A/C) clutch relay control circuit. The scan tool will display ON or OFF. ON indicates the A/C clutch relay control circuit is being grounded by the control module, allowing voltage to the A/C compressor clutch. OFF indicates the A/C clutch relay is not being commanded on by the control module.

A/C Request Signal: This parameter displays the state of the air conditioning (A/C) request input to the control module from the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) controls. The scan tool will display Yes or No. Yes indicates the control module is receiving a request from the HVAC system to ground the A/C clutch relay control circuit, engaging the A/C compressor clutch. No indicates the control module is not receiving a request from the HVAC system to ground the A/C clutch relay control circuit.

A/C Sec. High Pressure Switch: This parameter displays the state of the air conditioning (A/C) secondary high pressure switch as determined by the control module. The scan tool will display Open or Closed. Open indicates the A/C refrigerant pressure is not too high to operate the air conditioning. Closed indicates the refrigerant pressure is abnormally high and has closed the A/C secondary high pressure switch.

Actual Fuel Rail Pressure: This parameter displays the fuel rail pressure as calculated by the control module using the signal from the fuel rail pressure (FRP) sensor. The actual fuel rail pressure is a range of values indicating a low pressure when the fuel rail pressure is low to a high pressure when the fuel rail pressure is high. This value is listed in MPa or psi.

APP Indicated Angle: This parameter displays the angle of the accelerator pedal as calculated by the control module using the signals from the accelerator pedal position sensors. The APP indicated angle is a range of values indicating a low percentage when the accelerator pedal is not depressed to a high percentage when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed.

APP Sensor 1: This parameter displays the voltage signal sent to the control module from accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor 1 of the APP sensor assembly. APP sensor 1 is a range of values indicating a low voltage when the accelerator pedal is not depressed to a high voltage when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed.

APP Sensor 2: This parameter displays the voltage signal sent to the control module from accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor 2 of the APP sensor assembly. APP sensor 2 is a range of values indicating a low voltage when the accelerator pedal is not depressed to a high voltage when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed.

APP Sensor 3: This parameter displays the voltage signal sent to the control module from accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor 3 of the APP sensor assembly. APP sensor 3 is a range of values indicating a high voltage when the accelerator pedal is not depressed to a low voltage when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed.

Balancing Rate Cyl. 1-8: These parameter display the adjustment in fuel volume for each cylinder as calculated by the control module. The scan tool will display a negative balancing rate if the fuel volume is lowered. The scan tool will display a positive balancing rate if the fuel volume is increased.

BARO: This parameter displays the barometric pressure as calculated by the control module using the signal from the barometric pressure (BARO) sensor.

Battery Voltage: This parameter displays the voltage measured at the battery circuit of the control module. Voltage is applied to the control module from the battery at all times. The scan tool will display a low value when sensed battery voltage is low, and a high value when sensed battery voltage is high.

Boost Pressure Sensor: This parameter indicates the turbocharger boost pressure inside the engine as calculated by the control module based on the signal from the Boost pressure sensor. The scan tool will display a higher value under heavy load, and a lower value at idle.

Calculated Fuel Rate: This parameter displays the fuel rate of the fuel injection pump as calculated by the control module.

Cam Reference Signal Missed: The scan tool will display the number of cam pulses missed. The scan tool should read 0. This number will only increase due to an intermittent condition. If the signal is missing for a longer period, this parameter will remain 0.

CAM Signal Present: This parameter displays the state of the CAM signal as determined by the control module. The scan tool will display Yes if the CAM signal is being received by the control module. The scan tool will display No if the CAM signal is missing.

Check Trans Lamp: This parameter displays the commanded state of the check trans lamp control circuit. The check trans lamp should be on when the scan tool indicates the check trans lamp is commanded ON. The check trans lamp should be off when the scan tool indicates the check trans lamp is commanded OFF. The control module will command the check trans lamp On when the ignition is ON with the engine OFF in order to perform a bulb check.

CKP Sensor Pulses Missed: This parameter displays an incrementing counter when the control module does not receive a crankshaft position (CKP) sensor signal. The scan tool should read 0. This number will only increase due to an intermittent condition. If the signal is missing for a longer period, this parameter will remain 0.

Clutch Pedal Switch: This parameter displays the current state of the clutch pedal as determined by the control module. The scan tool will display Applied when the clutch pedal is depressed, and released when the clutch pedal is not depressed.

Cruise Control Active: This parameter displays the status of the cruise control system as determined by the control module. The scan tool will display Yes when the cruise control system is in control of vehicle speed. The scan tool will display No when the cruise control system is not operating.

Cruise On/Off Switch: This parameter displays the state of the on/off switch input to the control module . The scan tool will display On when the cruise ON/OFF switch is on. The scan tool will display OFF when the cruise ON/OFF switch is OFF.

Cruise Resume/Accel Switch: This parameter displays the state of the Resume/Accel switch input to the control module When the cruise control switch is in the on position and the Resume/Accel switch is activated, the scan tool displays On. When the Resume/Accel switch is released the scan tool displays Off.

Cruise Set/Coast Switch: This parameter displays the state of the Set/Coast switch input to the control module from the cruise control system. When the cruise control switch is in the on position and the Set/Coast switch is activated, the scan tool displays On. When the Set/Coast switch is released the scan tool displays Off.

Crank Signal Present: This parameter displays the state of the CKP signal as determined by the control module. The scan tool will display Yes if the CKP signal is being received by the control module. The scan tool will display No if the CKP signal is missing.

Desired EGR Position: This parameter displays the position of the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve commanded by the control module. The scan tool will display 0 percent when the control module is commanding the EGR valve closed. The scan tool will display a higher percentage when the EGR valve is commanded open.

Desired FRP Regulator: This parameter displays the desired current draw of the fuel rail pressure (FRP) regulator as calculated by the control module. The scan tool will display a low value if the regulator is commanded open, and a higher value when the regulator is commanded closed.

Desired Fuel Rail Pressure: This parameter displays the desired fuel rail pressure as calculated by the control module. This value is calculated based on engine speed, engine load, and sensor inputs. The scan tool will display a higher value at higher engine speeds and loads, and a lower value at idle.

Desired Idle Speed: This parameter displays the engine idle speed in RPM as commanded by the control module. The control module compensates for various engine loads in order to maintain the desired engine speed at idle. This parameter is not valid unless the engine is running.

Desired TC Vane Position: This parameter displays the position of the turbocharger vane position sensor as the turbocharger vane position is commanded by the control module. The scan tool will display 0 percent when the control module is commanding the vanes open. The scan tool will display a higher percentage when the vanes are commanded closed.

Des. TC Vane Pos. Ctrl. Solenoid: This parameter displays the desired current draw of the turbocharger vane position control solenoid valve as calculated by the control module. The scan tool will display a high value if the solenoid is commanded open, and a lower value when the solenoid is commanded closed.

DTC Set This Ignition: This parameter displays if a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) set during the current ignition cycle.

ECT Sensor: This parameter displays the temperature of the engine coolant based on the input from the engine coolant temperature sensor. When the coolant temperature is low, the scan tool will display a low temperature. When the coolant temperature is high, the scan tool will display a high temperature.

EGR Learned Minimum Position: This parameter displays the learned minimum position of the EGR valve as calculated by the control module. The scan tool will display 0 percent if the current closed EGR position is the same as the last ignition cycle. The scan tool will display a higher value if the EGR valve has closed at a new position.

EGR Position Sensor: This parameter displays the voltage signal received from the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve position sensor by the control module. The scan tool will display a lower value when the EGR valve is closed, and a higher value when the EGR valve is open.

EGR Position Sensor: This parameter displays EGR valve position as calculated by the control module based on an input from the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve position sensor. The scan tool will display a lower value when the EGR valve is closed, and a higher value when the EGR valve is open.

EGR Position Variance: This parameter displays the difference between the desired EGR valve position calculated by the control module and the actual EGR position input from the EGR valve position sensor. The scan tool will display a higher value if the difference is large, and a lower value if the difference is small.

EGR Solenoid Command: This parameter displays the duty cycle commanded by the control module for the EGR valve. The scan tool will display a high percentage when the EGR valve is commanded open. The scan tool will display a low percentage when the EGR valve is commanded closed.

Engine Oil Level Switch: This parameter displays the status of the engine oil level switch as determined by the control module. The control module uses this information to turn on the low engine oil lamp if the engine oil level remains approximately 1 quart low for a sufficient amount of time. The scan tool will display Low when the engine oil level is low. The scan tool will display OK when the engine oil level is correct.

Engine Oil Life Remaining: This parameter displays the amount engine oil life remaining before requiring an oil change based on calculations by the control module. The scan tool will display lower values as the engine oil life approaches 0 miles.

Engine Oil Pressure Sensor: This parameter displays the pressure of the engine oil as calculated by the control module using a signal from the engine oil pressure (EOP) sensor. The scan tool will display oil pressure when the engine is running. The engine oil pressure sensor has a range of values indicating a low value when the oil pressure is low to a high value when the oil pressure is high.

Engine Run Time: This parameter displays the time elapsed since the engine was started. The scan tool will display the time in hours, minutes and seconds. The engine run time will reset to zero when the engine stops running.

Engine Speed: This parameter displays the speed of the crankshaft as determined by the control module using an input from the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor. The scan tool will display a high value at high engine speeds and a low value at low engine speeds.

Fail Counter: This parameter displays the number of times a specific diagnostic has run and failed.

FRP Regulator Command: This parameter displays the fuel rail pressure regulator duty cycle as commanded by the control module. The scan tool will display a lower value for a higher commanded fuel pressure, and a higher value for a lower commanded fuel pressure.

FRP Regulator Command: This parameter displays the current draw of the fuel pressure regulator through the control module. The scan tool will display a higher value for a higher commanded current, and a lower value for a lower commanded current.

FRP Regulator Relay: This parameter displays the commanded state of the relay that supplies power to the fuel pressure regulator through the control module. The scan tool will display ON when the relay is commanded on, and OFF when the relay is commanded OFF. The relay is commanded ON when the ignition is on.

FRP Regulator Fuel Flow Command: This parameter displays the fuel flow through the fuel pressure regulator as calculated by the control module based on engine speed, engine load, fuel pressure regulator current, and fuel pressure sensor inputs. The scan tool will display higher values at higher engine speeds and loads, and lower values at idle.

Front Axle Switch: This parameter displays state of the switch used to determine when the front axle is engaged for operation in four wheel drive. The scan tool will display Locked when the front axle is engaged. The scan tool will display Unlocked when the front axle is disengaged.

Fuel Level Sensor: This parameter displays the voltage received by the control module from the sensor used to monitor the fuel level inside the fuel tank. The scan tool will display a high voltage when the fuel level in the tank is low or near empty. The scan tool will display a low voltage reading when the fuel level in the tank is high or near full.

Fuel Level Sensor: This parameter displays the approximate fuel level in the fuel tank as calculated by the control module based on inputs from the fuel level sensors. The scan tool will display a low value when the fuel level in the tank is low or near empty. The scan tool will display a high value when the fuel level in the tank is high or near full.

Fuel Level Sensor-rear: This parameter displays the voltage received by the control module from the sensor used to monitor the fuel level inside the rear fuel tank. The scan tool will display a high voltage when the fuel level in the tank is low or near empty. The scan tool will display a low voltage reading when the fuel level in the tank is high or near full.

Fuel Temperature Sensor: This parameter displays the current fuel temperature as calculated by the control module based on input from the fuel temperature sensor. The scan tool will display a higher value at higher fuel temperatures. The scan tool will display a lower value at lower fuel temperatures.

GEN L-Terminal Signal: This parameter indicates whether the control module is allowing the generator to operate. The control module can disable the generator under certain conditions. The scan tool will display voltage if the control module is allowing generator operation, while no voltage indicates that the control module is not allowing generator operation.

Glow Plug Relay : This parameter displays the commanded state of the glow plug system. The scan tool will display ON if the glow plugs are being commanded on by the glow plug controller. The scan tool will display OFF if the glow plugs are not being commanded on by the glow plug controller.

High Idle Switch: This parameter displays the state of the high idle request input to the control module from the High Idle Switch. The scan tool will display ON or OFF. ON indicates the control module is receiving a request from the high idle switch to increase engine speed. OFF indicates the control module is not receiving a request from the high idle switch to increase engine speed.

IAT Sensor: This parameter displays the temperature of the air entering the engine as calculated by the control module based on the input from the intake air temperature sensor. The scan tool will display a low value when the air temperature is low, and a high value when the air temperature is high.

Ignition 1 Signal: This parameter displays the voltage measured at the ignition 1 circuit of the control module. Voltage is applied to the control module when the ignition switch is in the ignition 1 position. The scan tool will display a low value when the voltage is low. The scan tool will display a high value, such as battery voltage, when the voltage is higher.

Ignition Off Time: This parameter displays the time elapsed since the ignition was last turned OFF. The scan tool will display the time in hours, minutes and seconds. The ignition off time will reset to zero when the ignition is turned ON.

Injector 1-8 Command: This parameter displays the commanded on time of each fuel injector by the control module. The scan tool will display a low value at idle, and a high value during high engine speeds and loads.

Low Coolant Level: This parameter displays the current status of the low coolant level switch. The scan tool will indicate Yes if the coolant level is low. The scan tool will display No if the coolant level is full.

MAF Sensor (volts): This parameter indicates the voltage signal received from the mass air flow (MAF) sensor by the control module. The scan tool will display a high value at high engine speeds, and a low value at low engine speeds.

Main Injection Command: This parameter displays the commanded on time of the fuel injectors for the main injection pulse. The scan tool will display a higher value for a longer injection pulse. The scan tool will display a lower value for a shorter injection pulse.

Main Injection Fuel Rate: This parameter displays the amount of fuel in the main injection pulse as calculated by the control module. The scan tool will display a higher value for a higher calculated fuel rate. the scan tool will display a lower value for a lower calculated fuel rate.

Main Injection Timing: Indicates the current timing of the main injection pulse as calculated by the control module. The scan tool will display a higher value for a main injection event farther from top dead center (TDC). The scan tool will display a lower value for a main injection event closer to TDC.

MIL Command: This parameter displays the commanded state of the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) control circuit. The malfunction indicator lamp should be on when the scan tool indicates the MIL Command is On. The malfunction indicator lamp should be off when the scan tool indicates the MIL Command is Off. The control module will command the MIL On when the ignition is ON with the engine OFF in order to perform a bulb check.

Mileage Since First Failure: This parameter displays the mileage accumulated since an emission diagnostic trouble code first failed. The scan tool will display increasing mileage as the vehicle is driven.

Mileage Since Last Failure: This parameter displays the mileage accumulated since an emission diagnostic trouble code last failed. The scan tool will display increasing mileage as the vehicle is driven.

Not Run Counter: This parameter displays the number of ignition cycles that a DTC has not run. The scan tool display will increment as the number of ignition cycles increase without a DTC pass or Fail.

Pass Counter: This parameter displays the number of times a DTC has run and passed. The scan tool display will increment as the number of ignition cycles increase and the DTC passes each ignition cycle.

PCM / VCM in VTD Fail Enable: This parameter indicates the status of the control module communication with the body control module (BCM) The scan tool will display YES if the BCM and the control module lose communications with each other after the BCM sends the correct password. The scan tool displays No if the BCM is communicating the correct password XXXXX the control module.

PCM Reset: This parameter indicates when the internal control module resets. The scan tool displays YES when an internal PCM reset has occurred. The scan tool displays NO under the normal operating conditions.

Pilot Injection Command: This parameter displays the commanded on time of the fuel injectors for the pilot injection pulse. The scan tool will display a higher value for a longer injection pulse. The scan tool will display a lower value for a shorter injection pulse.

Pilot Injection Fuel Rate: This parameter displays the amount of fuel in the pilot injection pulse as calculated by the control module. The scan tool will display a higher value for a higher calculated fuel rate. the scan tool will display a lower value for a lower calculated fuel rate.

Pilot Injection Timing: Indicates the current timing of the pilot injection pulse as calculated by the control module. The scan tool will display a higher value for a pilot injection event farther from top dead center (TDC). The scan tool will display a lower value for a pilot injection event closer to TDC.

PNP Switch: This parameter indicates the range selection of the automatic transmission as calculated by the control module based on input from the PNP switch. The scan tool will display, In Gear, Park, or Neutral depending on the PNP switch position.

PTO Enable: This parameter indicates all parameter have been met to enable the PTO, and the control module has determined that the PTO is engaged.

PTO Engage Relay Command: This parameter displays the commanded state of the PTO relay control circuit. The scan tool will display ON or OFF. ON indicates the PTO relay control circuit is being grounded by the control module, allowing voltage to the load engage switch. OFF indicates the PTO relay is not being commanded on by the control module.

PTO Engine Shutdown Signal: This parameter displays the input status of the PTO engine shutdown switch to the control module. The scan tool will display YES or NO. Yes indicates the PTO engine shutdown switch is closed, grounding the engine shutoff signal circuit to the control module. OFF indicates the engine shutoff switch is open, allowing normal engine and PTO operation.

PTO Feedback Signal: This parameter displays the state of the power take-off (PTO) based on the signal from the switched side of the PTO relay. The scan tool will display Relay On or Relay Off. Relay On indicates the PTO relay has closed, allowing voltage to the load engage switch. Relay Off indicates the PTO relay is open and the PTO will not engage.

Reverse Enable: This parameter displays the gear selection of the manual transmission as calculated by the control module based on input from the Reverse switch. The scan tool will display YES if the reverse switch is closed. The scan tool will display NO if the reverse switch is open.

Start Up ECT: This parameter Indicates the engine coolant temperature at engine start up as calculated by the control module based on the signal from the ECT sensor. the scan tool will display a higher value on a warmer engine, and a lower value on a colder engine.

Start Up IAT: This parameter Indicates the intake air temperature at engine start up as calculated by the control module based on the signal from the IAT sensor. the scan tool will display a higher value during warmer underhood temperatures, and a lower value during colder underhood temperatures.

Stoplamp Pedal Switch: This parameter displays the state of the brake pedal as determined by the stop lamp pedal switch. This switch turns on the stop lamps when the brake pedal is depressed. The scan tool will display Applied when the brake pedal is depressed, and Released when the brake pedal is not depressed.

TC Learned Closed Position: This parameter displays the difference between the last learned closed position of the turbocharger vanes and the current closed learned position. The scan tool will display a higher value for a larger difference. The scan tool will display a lower value for a smaller difference.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:46 PM
TyBragg
Elder User
Todd - Thanks for the support!

Rick - Thanks for the info. There is some good information there. Unfortunately, we don't have any scanning capabilities, so pulling codes and monitoring some of the sensor information is out of the question for us. There were many references to water/ice in the fuel causing a blockage, either at the fuel heater or in the tank itself. I'm betting this is it. If nothing else, we'll find out when it warms up tomorrow.

The truck is currently sitting in an uphill-facing position. Do you think it would make a difference to pull it on level ground? Not sure if that would change anything.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
How much fuel in the tank ?...

Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 PM
wait4it
Junior User
Diesel Kleens 911 can help thaw out gelled fuel. You can speed up the process by replacing the fuel filter

Old 12-28-2012, 01:57 AM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Now that people have posted actual usable info and gotten you on the path to solving it, I can post this...

Your problem appears to be that you bought something with a Duramax engine. :P

Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 AM
TyBragg
Elder User
Originally Posted by Action4478
How much fuel in the tank ?...
I believe about 1/4 tank.

Originally Posted by wait4it
Diesel Kleens 911 can help thaw out gelled fuel. You can speed up the process by replacing the fuel filter
Might have to try that. It's supposed to warm up a little today, so we'll see.

Originally Posted by Spktyr
Now that people have posted actual usable info and gotten you on the path to solving it, I can post this...

Your problem appears to be that you bought something with a Duramax engine. :P
Correction - I did not purchase this truck, it is my brother's. After simply replacing the batteries, I've determined that I will never buy a chevy. I love my ford.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 PM
carcollector6970
New User
duramax no start

I bet its the VATS (vehicle anti theft system) disconnecting the batteries will trip the vats and it will need to be reset. first connect a low amp battery charger to the main battery. then turn the ignition to run position for 30 min uninterrupted(yes 30 MIN!) until the theft light goes out,turn off ignition for 20 seconds and start the batteries will go dead if you dont keep them charged while the vats is relearning.you only have 180 seconds (3 min)to change the batteries or the vats will lose power or change them one at a time. just had this happen on our GMC sierra and fortunate to have a ASE certified GM Tech nextdoor

Last edited by carcollector6970; 01-06-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: the truth must be told