1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

read all related posts but no answer to this one

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Mark Nickerson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
read all related posts but no answer to this one

hi folks new here. i have a 1995 ford quigley 4x4 e350. it's a beast, yes. many years ago the a/c started blowing full heat. after troubleshooting the a/c i eventually pulled the climate control temperature switch out of it's place in the control module in the dash. once free it worked fine. as i am getting it ready to sell i decided to put it back n it's proper place but of course it still does not work once installed. the switch is a pc board with a linear slide resistor that goes from 17 ohms to 8k ohms. it works best when upside down and still plugged into wire harness...??? i removed the board thinking it was cracked and cannot get it to act up on ohm meter no matter what i do.

thoughts? oh btw it does not look like any of the climate control switches i can find on the net or at the ford dealer. these show a rotary switch and mine is most definitely linear

thanks and hello

mark

Old 11-26-2013, 10:49 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Without seeing the exact switch or the PCB my WAG would be a broken solder joint OR the sliding contact within the temp control has worn, no longer making contact with the wire wound or carbon track resistance strip. In one orientation you have continunity, any other and that continuity is lost.

It's also entirely possible the wiring harness or its wire leads are at fault. Try holding the control assembly (not installed) and flexing the wiring to see if that's the fix. In the Tech Folder there is a link to the Motorcraft catalog of replacement connectors----you only have to match them up according to the number of cavities---easy peasy!

It would be infinitely helpful seeing an image of what part you're talking about.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Mark Nickerson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
both good wages, that's what i thought also, thx. more info: i spent 2 hours dorking about with it this morning. held the resistor fixed and jiggled the wires, held the wires fixed and jiggled the resistor...you name it. my conclusion? i have no idea what makes it sporadic. if i disconnect the resistor from the plug (only 3 wires) it goes to about medium heat. if i turn it upside down outside the dash it pretty much works properly 80% of time. if i gently put it back in it's position in the plastic housing it Never works properly, even if i jiggle the wires. it is touching nothing conductive and there is no strain on the board, it's just laying there.
as cold weather is coming and i have it stuck on high heat i buttoned the dash back up but yeah i should've grabbed a pic of it.

does anyone know of any other ford truck that uses this style temp control? the pc board has a "made in canada" sticker on it and is called vn58 door blend.
i think my only option is the used truck farm
thx

Old 11-26-2013, 03:20 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
FTE has a Heating, Cooling HVAC forum here---if this component is shared by any other Ford vehicle it might be addressed there: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum61/

Sorry I can't be more help than this----hope you get it resolved!