New Ex-owner in the neighborhood... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

New Ex-owner in the neighborhood...

Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 PM
rocknsoul
Freshman User
rocknsoul is starting off with a positive reputation.
New Ex-owner in the neighborhood...

Thanks to Sean's invitation, I found the forum of the SoCal chapter.

I'm Bernie and have been driving Ford Explorers for almost 15 years. I always wanted something bigger and after selling my '98 Explorer 5.0L, I was looking for an Expedition.

My wife Nancy decided, it's not big enough. She loves big trucks and so we started looking around for an Excursion.
In November we finally found the perfect match, a 2002 lifted Limited with about 125,00mls on the clock and less than 10,000 on the price tag.

The Ex was perfect (right size, right color, right trim) and so a superficial check had to do before I signed the contract.
As expected, I found a couple of issues after we had already bought the truck "As Is - No Warranty".

But we are both happy with our new family mamber and so it's ok anyway. Meanwhile I had pretty much the whole front axle replaced and a complete tune-up done at a Ford dealership.
The 4x4 works nicely and so it's time to trigger the problem that the V10 only runs on 7-8 cylinders. But that's a different topic.

My wife and I are both in our fourties and have no kids. We run a little online store and live in Orange County. Our most important mutual interests are cars, traveling, offroading, desert, mountains, nature, etc.
Since we are both working full time in our own business, we only have time for short road trips every now and then. The Ex is the perfect vehicle for that. It can go everywhere and offers more than enough space if we might have to camp out.

Well, this much about us for now. If you have any questions, just ask. I'm looking forward to meeting other Ford truck enthusiasts eventually. So I'll check for events and meeting/runs updates posted here.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:11 AM
SteveBricks
***** Emeritus
SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
Hi Bernie, good to meet you

Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Welcome to the club. What area are you in? Local to Sean?

Old 01-05-2013, 12:20 PM
rocknsoul
Freshman User
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm living in Garden Grove, just south of the 22 from Disneyland.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.
Welcome to the neighborhood.
Having a wife that loves trucks is a beautiful thing.
Congrats on the Ex

Old 01-05-2013, 02:41 PM
rocknsoul
Freshman User
Originally Posted by turbohunter View Post
...Having a wife that loves trucks is a beautiful thing....
Yes, she's the best!

It gets even better: She hates shopping malls, but if I drop her off at a large enough car dealer lot, she'll be entertained for hours!
All the fashion stores mean nothing to her. She prefers PepBoys, AutoZone, or similar.
When in Palm Springs she doesn't care for a spa-visit, she wants to check out what McCormick's Auto Auctions has to offer.

Thanks for the congrats on the Ex! I still have to deal with some of its issues, but we'll get there.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:15 PM
sand_fiend
Work in Progress
sand_fiend has a very good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a very good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a very good reputation on FTE.
Welcome. Hope to meet you two some time at one of our gatherings..

Old 01-09-2013, 10:16 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader
wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Welcome Bernie, we'd love to meet you in the Pismo sand in a few weeks. Let us know if the Cops are giving you trouble (running on 7 cyl); that's about all the V10 needs for happy motoring.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:19 AM
rocknsoul
Freshman User
Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to be here.

I'm pretty optimistic that the ignition problems will be solved within a week or two. I talked to a company that rebuilds PCM's and they seem to be very knowledgeable.

Of course I've been following the Pismo Beach thread allready.

I didn't talk to my wife about it yet, but I know that she loves the dunes and won't need to be convinced.
We've been there last February and she's always having a blast. Her birthday is in February and I know she'd love to do a little road-trip and also check out other trucks.
No need to say that I'd love to meet you guys as well.