1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Right hand drive f100

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:25 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
`I would find it really difficult to shift the column (3 in the tree) shifter with my left hand!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
`I would find it really difficult to shift the column (3 in the tree) shifter with my left hand!
Yeah NO kidding!!! I can barely pick my nose with my left hand. How are the pedals oriented BTW? Based on that pic I posted, it looks like the gas pedal is still on the right? I'd like to see the throttle linkage for that setup.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:58 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Yeah NO kidding!!! I can barely pick my nose with my left hand. How are the pedals oriented BTW? Based on that pic I posted, it looks like the gas pedal is still on the right? I'd like to see the throttle linkage for that setup.
Yep, pedals are same as LHD (clutch on left, etc), but the shifter would be a real struggle for me too (floor or column).

If you look at many 70's jap cars, they were converted from home market RHD by running shafts across the firewall to M/C and such on the RH side. Cable throttle solved problems there. Might be the easy way to fix this truck.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:26 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
I think it would be a lot harder to build one to stock specs being out of country than building a custom. One would think being in the UK that a RHD Jaguar could be had for the donor front end pretty easily and cheap. Pedals could be built or swapped easily enough, we do that here all the time, especially with hanging pedals and firewall mounted brake master cylinders. A custom dash, that's easy stuff. But to import all the right bits from Australia to Ireland would be expensive and time consuming. Finding them in Aus, it would seem, would be easier than from South Africa.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Originally Posted by Doc
Yeah NO kidding!!! I can barely pick my nose with my left hand.
I'm with ya. Every time I think of trying to shift left handed, I'm always reminded of the story of racing driver and Indy 500 winner Arie Luyendyk. After a successful career racing Indycars, he tried his hand at sportscar racing. Those are typically RHD. While he did have some success, I saw him in an interview on TV admitting he always struggled at left hand shifting. It's got to be something you're brought up with, I'm sure.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 PM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not as bad as you think. I've had cause to drive quite a few left hand drive cars in my life and you pick it up surprisingly quickly.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 AM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the RHD conversion on my 57 Chevy wagon, and its quite a big job once you get into it, besides the dash you have the steering column, steering linkages and box or rack, pedals and related M/Cs and lines, wiring, often the wipers if the aren't concentric, firewall changes, heater and controls, shifter etc etc......
In Australia 57s used the same double hump dash as the 55 and 56s so i chose to convert the correct for America 57 dash, thats an interesting enough job in itself.

But i guess its all part of the fun?????. John

Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Steve_B
Senior User
I have a RHD 1954 F100
It was assembled in South Africa from parts made in the USA and Canada
It would be difficult to do an original conversion as finding RHD parts won't be easy
I have seen conversions done using custom parts such as this very nice 56
Ford F100 Pick-up

I have also driven LHD American cars in the UK, it's not that hard once you get used to it

Steve

Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I've driven RHD stick shift rentals in Thailand and adapted to left hand shifting pretty easily. Of course I am left handed so I adapt to ambidextrous things out of necessity in a right handed world.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
A company I worked for back in 91 built armored cars for the State Department - We used 80's model Chev Caprice and Cad Brougham - We had to convert some to RHD - They had developed a series of cables, pulleys, bell cranks and braces for the steering and the gas/brakes They would use a cut and paste process for the dash. - Besides that we had to deal with the armour plating and at times stretching them. - I was working on
on the design for the next gen cars air filtration systems that would include the above mods - Every mourning I would go out to the barn and herd the goats into the shop.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Here you go John, I recently read this somewhere else and I have had conversations with a buddy who comes over to visit from Australia about right hand driving and he also mentioned it. From Wikipedia

Over the course of the 20th century, there was a gradual worldwide shift from driving on the left to the right. Portugal changed to right-hand traffic in 1928, and the parts of Canada that were still driving on the left changed over by 1923 (although Newfoundland was not part of Canada until 1949, and its motorists drove on the left until 1947).

Here is the link: Right- and left-hand traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-03-2013, 02:09 PM
haross
New User
Canada was RHD and changed over in 1919. In NZ our Fords came from Canada,some fully assembled,some assembled here.I have Model Ts thru to a 66 Galaxie convert. all factory RHD.We received the pickup trucks at least untill 1956 in RHD

Old 01-03-2013, 06:01 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
Here you go John, I recently read this somewhere else and I have had conversations with a buddy who comes over to visit from Australia about right hand driving and he also mentioned it. From Wikipedia

Over the course of the 20th century, there was a gradual worldwide shift from driving on the left to the right. Portugal changed to right-hand traffic in 1928, and the parts of Canada that were still driving on the left changed over by 1923 (although Newfoundland was not part of Canada until 1949, and its motorists drove on the left until 1947).

Here is the link: Right- and left-hand traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Okay I've always lived in Ontario where things weren't backwards. Plus I wasn't around prior to 1920

Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Well Doc, if you need training on the left hand shifting you could jump in one of the coal truck down your cause about half of the old Mack trucks have two stick trannys and shift both trannys at the same time using both hands, now there is a nack to that, trust me, especially on the mtn. roads and curves.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by homade
Well Doc, if you need training on the left hand shifting you could jump in one of the coal truck down your cause about half of the old Mack trucks have two stick trannys and shift both trannys at the same time using both hands, now there is a nack to that, trust me, especially on the mtn. roads and curves.
My dad used to drive one of those Macks. He said it would absolutely wear you out. Come to think of it, my Kubota tractor shifts backwards.

Quick Reply: Right hand drive f100