1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good size for winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 03:00 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good size for winter tires?

Both my 150 and 350 tires are just about done. Not sure which i'll replace first but would like to get snow tires. For the 350 that means replacing the conticraps on the 17" 7.5" steels. The plan is to get aftermarket rims and bigger at/mt tires later, and switch back to winter tires on the factory rims during the winter.

I've somewhat narrowed my choices down to Bridgestone Blizzaks, Cooper Discoverer M+S, or Firestone Winterforce. But wondering what size would be best. Factory is 245/75, folks usually go to skinnier tires for winter but its already pretty darn skinny. Could get 235/80 but thinking with the size of the truck that even going up to 265's are actually pretty small proportionally.

So what all sizes have worked for you guys for winter?

Or maybe I got it all backwards and maybe a good 35" tire will still work well in the winter and maybe I should get a small skinny set for summer highway trips, and wear the big lugs fall through spring? Fall through winter is hunting and the truck sees the farm, and then after that winter through spring is when I'm up to the farm cutting firewood for the next year. Summer is mainly going to work and back, and highway trips and such.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,297 Posts
You have a 4x4 anything thats not overly wide should be OK, if your going to go places off road in the snow get a set off chains as a back up.
Any tire that has the snow flake on it and good tread design will be good to go, all the ones you mention are good.
I have had nothing but 2wd and never worried about the tire size and have been in some pretty bad storms through the years. Keep a set of chains for that just in case (which they have had to be put on the truck) and if it the snow gets that deep or that stormy stay home.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:51 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
I'd keep the stock size tire on for the winter. Get a snow rated tire like a BFG A/T, Duratrac, etc.. I do this on my truck in the winter and have no issues towing a 6k lb thru 12"+ of unplowed snow.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I'd personally go with the 235's if possible. Skinnier the better especially on the highway with slush and junk. The wider the tire the more you will float and (hydroplane) around on the slush = slower speed, less control.

Pretty much any actual winter tire is good. My favorites are the blizzaks and winterforce. (I am running winterforce now).

Old 12-31-2012, 09:28 AM
knightrider955
Senior User
Im from Michigan. Just go to your nearest Discount Tire and buy a set of Falken Rocky Mountains in the stock size for your truck. Problem solved!!! I plow snow and farm. You will not be disapointed with this tire. Load range E tires. Quiet on the highway and go through anything. For your truck they are only 172 a tire. Cant beat it for a 50,000 mile tire.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:36 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Problem is, plowing and driving around on the farm is a totally different deal than going down the highway at 70mph.

I agree if you are just plowing with the truck and driving around the land get anything. I have 33x12.5 tires on my plow truck but just try to go over 40mph on the road with them.

Even in 2wd the plow truck made it quite a way before getting stuck but it handles like a saucer on a ski hill while on the road.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 AM
knightrider955
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Problem is, plowing and driving around on the farm is a totally different deal than going down the highway at 70mph.

I agree if you are just plowing with the truck and driving around the land get anything. I have 33x12.5 tires on my plow truck but just try to go over 40mph on the road with them.

Even in 2wd the plow truck made it quite a way before getting stuck but it handles like a saucer on a ski hill while on the road.

Sir I drive 80 miles of expressway round trip to work in any weather with no issues what so ever. I dont drive it everyday but in bad weather I do. Its never done anything that made me feel uncomfortable at highway speeds. If they were 12.5 wide like yours I would expect to have the same issues that you do. But these are stock size.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Have you ever had the privilege of experiencing an actual snow tire?

Old 12-31-2012, 10:06 AM
knightrider955
Senior User
I had a set of firestone winterforce on my GMC Yukon. My wife is a mail carrier and Ive got a set on her explorer. They are fantastic in the snow! But for year round use they wear fast! Before those I had a set of Cooper M+S on my wifes explorer and they were good in snow as well and wore a little better for year round use. But for a 1 ton Pickup why not get a tire thats good in the snow as well as year round use? Easier on the pocketbook. Snow tires suffer in wet traction and braking. Thats a well known fact. But whatever, just my 2 cents.
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Have you ever had the privilege of experiencing an actual snow tire?

Old 12-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
The OP mentioned a designated set of winter wheels and tires. Snow tires are the best option for him (for anyone that drives in snow) IMO and then run the summer tires and wheels in, well, summer.

I have had the same winterforce snow tires for the last 4-5 years now and they look like new.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Another vote for Firestone Winterforce tires. I have used BFG AT's and Michelin AT2's before but the Winterforce works far, far better in the snow. This is a winter-only tire where the other two can be used year-around.

For a winter-only tire consider getting studs installed. The ice traction gained is significant. Yes, one can hear the studs a bit while driving, but it is a truck...

Lou Braun

Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Sparky04SD
Laughing Gas
Received 126 Likes on 86 Posts
Any great winter snow tire will never last if driven year around. There is no such perfect tire for snow, ice, wet or hot dry roads. After 28 years living in Montana I found that the best was a winter tire and a summer tire. In reality it saved me money because the tires lasted much longer then if used year around. The best snow/ice tires are well siped and/or have studs. Poor choice for summer. I've found that on my SD's the 235 or 255x85x16's worked well in winter in a good snow tire tread. I've run 315's for summer for 10 years with great results.

Any plow truck will put a lot of weight on the front axle for awsome traction but also remove weight from the rear axle unless a good deal of weight is added to the pickup box to offset the front.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I run 285 for my truck. Plow in the winter and tow in the summer so I need a good all around tire. Had 3 sets of BFG'S A/T, they do great in the snow and also are quiet on the highway. I wanted to change it up this time so I went with the Goodyear Duratracs and I have to say after about 4,000 miles and 3 plow events so far I LOVE THESE TIRES!!!!!! They handle great, load E and look awesome. I am hoping for good wear but would reccomend these also.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 PM
tazaxx
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bigger is better...hehehe!

Old 01-01-2013, 12:37 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i run 265/75s on my 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. firestone winterforce studded and cooper M&S studded. i only from them from october to april (snow months here)

i run the studs because with freeze and thaw cycles and no use of salt our roads literally turn into hot mopped ice rinks as seen in this picture taken today. its hell even to walk on!!!

Quick Reply: Good size for winter tires?