6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Rugged Wheel Liner

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Big_Daddy_O
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rugged Wheel Liner

I came across these today I thought it was a pretty cool idea to save on my truck from the salt and mud its to bad Ford doesn't just put them on from the factory without an added cost. I see they are offered now they were not when I ordered my truck 2 yrs ago.
Rugged Liner Rear Wheel Well Liners 2009 2012 Ford F250 F350 Super Duty | eBay

Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Great find!

I had been keeping an eye out because a Rugged Liner rep had told me that they were under development. I had kind of forgotten about them since they hadn't come out yet.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Thanks for the find. Have been waiting for these to come out. I last saw them on the F-150 forum.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Those look nice. Any concern about them retaining/trapping moisture?

If I didn't already have the undercoating done on my truck, I'd be looking harder at these..

Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 AM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are these the same liners that SuperDutyScaler bought and the fit was horrible? In the Super Duty forum.

Matt, I'm with you...I'd be concerned with what gets trapped where they attach to the truck....especially the salt. Gotta love living in the snow belt!

UPDATE: I searched the SD forum and Rugged is the brand that SuperDutyScaler used. Based on that thread, seems like the fit was bad and he had to do a lot of work to get them to fit.

Last edited by snelldawg; 01-18-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-18-2013, 01:38 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
If you follow the link in the OP post, there is a video that shows you how to install them. Seems like the fit is very good, and go in easy.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 PM
THUNDERBOLT64
Freshman User
To me it looks like a salt trap Just my opinion !! I think it's a wast of money .

Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Big_Daddy_O
Junior User
Originally Posted by THUNDERBOLT64
To me it looks like a salt trap Just my opinion !! I think it's a wast of money .
I don't think it can be any worse then what is on there now which is nothing. I have seen numerous SD around here rust out with Fords under the bed rails and fender supports. I ordered a set and cant wait to get them. I will let you all know how they fit!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:35 AM
My Skilz
Freshman User
I bought these from ford dealer about 2 months ago for $139. the look great

Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
They look easy enough to take them off in the winter if you wanted to. I think they make the wheel wells look a lot better. So if you take them off in the winter you will be able to wash out the salt.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:06 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Had them on my Dodge and they were the 1st thing I bought for the SD when I got it. We live in the country and they keep the rocks from pounding the box to death. Only word of warning is if you live where it get into the -30's like I do, put 4 or 5 coats of rubberized undercaoting on them first as they will shatter in the real cold when they get hit with rocks. The rubberized undercoating acts as a cushion. The only issue I had was modifying the mounting brackets for the mud flaps so everything fit. All told took me abt 2 hrs per side.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:14 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JohnnyThunder
Had them on my Dodge and they were the 1st thing I bought for the SD when I got it. We live in the country and they keep the rocks from pounding the box to death. Only word of warning is if you live where it get into the -30's like I do, put 4 or 5 coats of rubberized undercaoting on them first as they will shatter in the real cold when they get hit with rocks. The rubberized undercoating acts as a cushion. The only issue I had was modifying the mounting brackets for the mud flaps so everything fit. All told took me abt 2 hrs per side.
Thanks for the info, going to order them today.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Big_Daddy_O
Junior User
Well got the wheel liners today, they look pretty nice not very heavy but we will see how they go in. Now if it just would get above 10 degrees today would be nice so I could do a go washing and put them in. Maybe a week until it warms up evough I will let you all know how it goes.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Big_Daddy_O
Junior User
Update: Just go done installing these and I ran into two minor problems. First was on the drivers side when I went to install the push pin that goes into the frame rail there was already one from the factory that came the other way, looks like it holds some bracket on the inner frame rail holding up some wires so I just drilled a new hole in the plastic wheel liner that matched another frame rail hole no biggy. Next on the passengers side the two holes in the frame rail are to big for the push pins that are supplied so I had to run down to Auto Zone and get some bigger ones. The fit was bery nice I thought they can be a bugger to snap in around the outer fender well but all and all it took me about 30 minutes to install after I got done hosing the underneath really good. The other thing that if someone has factory mud flaps might want to put the clip that holds it in place on the plastic wheel liner that way when you put your bolt back in for you mud flap you tighten everything up together. Good Luck all!

Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Pics!!!

tsk...tsk.

Quick Reply: Rugged Wheel Liner