1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 F100 Owners??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:13 PM
tetfemal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
55 F100 Owners??

Hey, Im new the site and was looking to be pointed in the right direction. I am planning to purchase a 55 F100 to restore. I'm not planning on doing nothing to crazy to it, just to make it safer to drive. If anyone own one or a similar model, what are the must do mods in order to make it safer? I know the relocation of the gas tank is a priority. What other need to knows/common mistakes made when restoring this particular car? I'm trying to avoid headaches that accompany most projects.

Also, I if anyone knows of anyone selling one in FL, lmk. The one I found in South Florida is pretty rough.

Thanks in advance

-Pete

Old 12-27-2012, 10:13 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Hi Pete, welcome to FTE.

IMO, The 55 F-100 is a pretty safe vehicle as it is. The only things I would recommend are:

• Add good seat belts, including shoulder belts properly installed.
  • Go through the brake, steering, and suspension systems to be sure everything is up to par.
  • Install a dual reservoir brake master cylinder.
  • Make sure it has good tires, as with any other vehicle.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <woNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <wontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <wontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <wontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->

I'm not sure why you would want to move the fuel tank. The 55 has a saddle tank under the cab, not the inside cab tank like a 56.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I support Effie, the fuel tank is tucked under the cab, not behind the seat as the earlier trucks had, its fine as it is, leave it there unless you just want to spend the money to move it elsewhere.

Other than that, make sure the brakes and steering are up to speed and drive like ya stole it.

happy truckin.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 PM
tetfemal
New User
Thank you,

The model I found locally is actually a 56.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by tetfemal
Thank you,

The model I found locally is actually a 56.
Ah, yes. The 56 has the tank behind the seat. Moving it under the bed isn't a big deal, there are a couple of articles here on FTE that show how to do it.

The 53 through 55 models have them under the cab.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:35 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
1956 F-100's are arguably the most desired classic Ford truck of all time. If it's in good shape and you can get it at a good price, snag it before it's too late.

The gas tank relo is not a must do, no matter where it is. That's a matter of preference. But the safety aspects like working brakes, seat belts, and getting it to run reliably are certainly the top priorities.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Dingo67
Junior User
Welcome to FTE,

Check ebay, craigslist or carsonline if your not happy with the one your looking at. All 3 sites have quite a few in all conditions and prices.

Safety is what you consider safe. The trucks as is are safe. If your looking for safety upgrades there tons on here and how to's to do it with out going in the poor house. The only safety upgrades I have are IFS with power disc brakes and seat belts.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 PM
tetfemal
New User
How much did the IFS run you?

Plans for the F100 are:
Power Disc Brakes
A/C
Tilt Steering Wheel
Power steering
Seat belts
Better Suspension

As far a parts for this list, what do you guys recommend?

I also have an almost complete air ride kit from my chevy s10 mini-truck project from a couple of years ago. Don't really want to go that route with the f100 but that's an option as well.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 PM
tempforce
Senior User
there is a couple threads on here using a crown vic ifs install. modifying the vic ifs with a mark 8 or expy air ride wouldn't be much more work….
my plans for fuel tank relocation is a pair of 53-55 saddle tanks…. haven't worked out the fill tube yet. as i want it on drivers side. up high like the oem only making it a left side fill…and able to fill both tanks with just the one fill port..
crown vic front disk and mustang/thunderbird irs, with air bag conversion.
have fun with your truck. if you change to a 53-55 cab. you will find that it won't be hard to sell the 56 cab...

Old 12-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Dingo67
Junior User
IFS is very pricey. 2 to 3K after market or you can go to the bone yard and do alot of work.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:09 AM
Dingo67
Junior User
Mine is out of a 72 Plymouth Fury torsion bar front suspension.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Project-55
Elder User
I just recently finished putting in a CV IFS and a T bird IRS into my 55, see my thread for pics, plus there are several more build threads here with differant IFS systems.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:00 PM
das54
Elder User
The safest vehicle is one that never gets in wreck so make sure the brakes, tires, lights, windshield wipers, and defroster are all working and in good condition. Power disk brakes, IFS and IRS might add a little bit of safety to the "no wreck" goal. But if you want to walk away from a 65 mph head on collision then drive a modern vehicle. The frame on these trucks are stout and protrude thru the front roll pan to the back side of the bumper. Then most of us box the frame and make it even stiffer. And then we anchor the seat belts to 1/4" steel plate and weld the heck out of it. Add all that to heavy gauge sheet metal body and cab (zero crumple zone) and I doubt you'll need to worry about where the gas tank is if you're in a high speed head on crash. Not trying to be a wet blanket on the safety aspect but just saying I think it would be impossible with any amount of work and cost to make one of these trucks half as safe as a modern day vehicle.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Ortarheel
Freshman User
potential purchase

I have a 1955. Beware that this is, I believe, the last year of the positive ground, 6 volt electrical system. If you have a couple of hours, I can tell you some lessons I've learned re that issue. LMC Truck now sells Ford parts. Also, this is a great site for help.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Tetfemal,
Welcome aboard! The '56 is a highly desireable year for our old trucks so that's a good choice. My 20 year old son drives our truck so we spent some time on safety - some thoughts.

o Brakes - I'd upgrade to front disc brakes. A kit will cost $300 - $400 to
add this to your stock front end. (A magnificent upgrade - modern braking is a good thing).

o Brakes - Add a dual chamber master cylinder so all your brakes don't go out at once. We used a late 60's mustang MC - $100 at most.

o Brakes - If you feel extra safety energy you can add them to the back axle as well. We put in a 2001 8.8 Explorer rear end that came with disc brakes. (Kind of overkill as the fronts do all the braking). $150. We also used the Explorer emergency brake which was a nice addition.

o Front Suspension - We put in an aftermarket Independent Front Suspension. Honestly I wouldn't do it. It's expensive & involves cutting into your frame & a lot of welding. ($2500 for just parts - another $2000 to have someone do it for you). You can rebuild the stock front end & get very safe & solid for around $800.

o Steering - A lot of guys upgrade using a Toyota power steering box that is just about a direct replacement for our stock 60 year old box. I'd do this upgrade - steering is important. ($400).

o Steering - After market steering components are expensive. Not sure it's necessary for safety but we did go this route. Column - $600 from Ididit, $200 wheel, $200 for various Borgeson joints etc..

Good luck over there & have fun. Buy the best truck you can up front with minimal rust if possible - especially in the cab.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)

Quick Reply: 55 F100 Owners??