Sponsored by: DP Tuner

hpop oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:22 AM
jccapri
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hpop oil change

How do you change the old when should you change the old and what type of oil. Or does it run to the oiling system of the motor

Old 12-21-2012, 11:27 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
The HPOP is fed from the low pressure oil pump that gets the oil from your engine. So... When you do a regular oil change, it will get pumped through the HPOP.
I know that some guys tho use a hand pump to siphon the oil out of the HPOP and then refill it with new oil.

Take your pick.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:09 PM
koski19
Senior User
I change out the HPOP oil with every oil change. I siphon it out, fill it back up with fresh oil. Start the engine and let it run for about 10 minutes. Then I siphon it out and do it all over again. I do this 3 times. I believe this process removes the old out of the HPOP and oil rails to the injectors. So far with 265,000 on my injectors I have not yet had a problem with them. For me this extra procedure is worth the extra time during an oil change.

_____
Jeff

Old 12-21-2012, 01:26 PM
jccapri
Senior User
Thanks thanks for the help guy

Old 12-21-2012, 01:41 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol you don't need to change yer hpop oil, it cycles through, I don't have a oil flow diagram but if you want try to google one and you will see

Old 12-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stop believing "Powerstrokehelp". The HPOP change is not nessacary. My injectors went 275,000 miles with regular oil changes.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:44 PM
lhud
Elder User
This is simply my observation and does not correlate into any hard facts, but I have 448,000+ miles on the OEM injectors and the first half of those miles was just regular oil changes. The second half was doing the HPOP vacuum with each oil change. Sometimes I will fill the HPOP up with Hot Shot or some other oil additive just to help clean/lubricate the injectors right at startup.
I am not saying this has definitely extended the life of the injectors, but it does not take any length of time to do this small procedure.
I plan to remove the oil in the HPOP when I change my ICP valve and minimize to oil that will spill onto the engine valley.
Oh well, just my $.02.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:24 PM
HH60FE
Posting Guru
This kinda boils down to how much ya like putzin with yer truck. That quart of dirty oil in the HPOP migh drive some folks crazy knowing that it didn't get drained before adding fresh, clean honey colored oil to their tank. If thats the case, suck it out. Its your call.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:27 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by koski19
I change out the HPOP oil with every oil change. I siphon it out, fill it back up with fresh oil. Start the engine and let it run for about 10 minutes. Then I siphon it out and do it all over again. I do this 3 times. I believe this process removes the old out of the HPOP and oil rails to the injectors. So far with 265,000 on my injectors I have not yet had a problem with them. For me this extra procedure is worth the extra time during an oil change.

_____
Jeff
Waste of time and oil. The oil in ther HPOP reservoir, head rails and injectors gets cycled back to the crankcase in less then 15 seconds at idle. Letting it run for ten minutes just mixes that 3/4 quarts of oil you put in the HPOP reservoir with the other 14 1/4 quarts in the rest of the engine. But if it makes you feel better then carry on.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Still plenty of dirty oil in the rails on the heads, might as well change that out also. Sorry, already said.

Seriously OP if you are concerned about oil quality and the injectors, buy a by-pass oil filter setup and skip the HPOP change.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I wouldn't recommend changing the oil in the HPOP reservoir. There is zero benefit and too many bad things can happen. The threads can be stripped, the o-ring can tear or debris can get into the reservoir. Even a spec of dirt can cause the IPR to hang up and then you'll be stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow.

Again....ZERO benefit by changing the oil in the HPOP reservoir. It only holds about a quart or so.....then each head holds another quart each, there is some in the oil cooler and some more in the front cover...None off that gets changed just by dropping the pan.

It's just not necessary to waste any time messing with the reservoir oil.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:32 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Look at the oil flow arrows between the HPOP and the front cover. At idle when the IPR duty cyle is at about 12% to 14% then 88% to 86% of the oil in the HPOP reservoir is dumping straight back into the front cover and the LPOP is refilling the HPOP reservoir with oil from the crankcase. Not doing alot to flush out the oil rails or injectors by putting fresh oil in the the HPOP reservoir. If you want to refill the HPOP reservoir with fresh oil that's fine, but to do it mutiple times during a single oil change is just redundant.

Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2012, 04:37 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Look at the oil flow arrows between the HPOP and the front cover. At idle when the IPR duty cyle is at about 12% to 14% then 88% to 86% of the oil in the HPOP reservoir is dumping staright back into the front cover and the LPOP is refilling the HPOP reservoir with oil from the crankcase. Not doing alot to flush out the oil rails or injectors by putting fresh oil in the the HPOP reservoir. If you want to refill the HPOP reservoir with fresh oil that's fine, but to do it mutiple times is just redundant.
So... 14 gallons of oil needed... drain and fill, start truck, run high idle for aprox. 30 secs, shut truck of and repeat 4 times.... that should get it all? Would this be why the dealership in San Diego wanted to charge me $385 for an oil change?

Old 12-21-2012, 04:50 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by VegasFordSD
So... 14 gallons of oil needed... drain and fill, start truck, run high idle for aprox. 30 secs, shut truck of and repeat 4 times.... that should get it all?
Yep, that would

Old 12-21-2012, 06:12 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
On my oil samples that I take in between oil changes, I take a sample (hot) out of the HPOP reservoir, via the threaded plug on top. SO much easier than getting under the truck to do it.

Quick Reply: hpop oil change