1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

6637 Install - The Expensive Way - and questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:59 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6637 Install - The Expensive Way - and questions

So, i wouldnt recommend anyone take the path i did, but i'll put it out there anyway. bought my truck about 1.5 years ago. changed all the fluids and filters, then started reading up on the truck and learning from you guys. found out that my truck had the old, original, long-since-recalled 96 air filter box on it (with the plastic hold-down screws). decided i needed to get that out of there, so started looking into aftermarket intakes. honestly, i probably read refereces to the 6637 mod 20 times before i bought my intake from Summit, but i never picked up that the 6637 was an air intake replacement. all the references in different threads were just 'do the 6637 mod' or 'get the 6637.' definitely my fault for not investigating further.

anyway, i bought the summit kit for my truck because it was reasonably priced compared to other 'cold air intake kits'. turned out it was just a K&N kit sold by Summit at a discount. so, originally, i was quite happy to have saved ~$100 on a K&N kit. put it on and the truck sounded great and had considerably more power. but while putting it on, found that my turbo is pretty well dusted and has 2 bent fins - no doubt from years of running that crappy original setup. figured, i was in for a new turbo soon, but at least i had fixed the source of the problem. then, after installing it, i finally figured out what a '6637' was, did some reading and learned that the K&N filter is no good on our trucks.

so, i recently bought a 6637 filter from Clay at Riff Raff, hoping it would just mount right up to the new K&N box i just put in my truck. luckily, it did - though it barely fit in the length direction. So, now, i finally have a good-flowing, properly-protecting filter in place, with a connector tube with a K&N logo that effectively cost me $200. Doh! also, while the truck is slightly quieter with this new filter, it also seems to have slightly more power than with the K&N. not huge gains, but something...

Anyway - all's well that end's well, right? hopefully. i figure 16 years and 192k mi of bad air filters on my engine will certainly have done some long-term damage, but i'm going to keep pushing her as long as she'll last. in the meantime, i've bought a good used turbo to rebuild and swap on at the same time i do my trans swap project, so that'll fix the bent and dusted turbo blades. ...but i digress.

questions for all you 6637-ers out there:

1. where did you put the sensor that came out of the stock airbox? the summit/k&N kit came with a bracket to mount it to the firewall, but that doesnt fit now that this 6637 monster is in there. i just have it stuffed up next to the battery right now, but would like to find a permanent home for it.

2. does anyone use any sort of sealing compound inside the flange on the filter? its a tapered, rubbery fitting and i got pretty good insertion onto the $200 K&N tube, and then it clamped down pretty well with the hose clamp, but it struck me that some vacuum grease or similar would be a good idea at that joint. anyone done this, or found a need to?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Dang man! Shoulda got the $63 dollar kit from Clay!
I just zip-tied the sensor to the engine bay wall.

And I wouldnt see any need for grease/silicone or anything of the sort. The 6637 is plenty open that air would be sucked through the filter not that tinyyyy little gap.

Perhaps if you were pushing 50 pounds of boost lol but i wouldnt worry about it

Old 12-20-2012, 09:43 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
agreed - if i had only known! hopefully someone else learns from my mistakes though.

and yeah, i figured grease would be overkill, but just figured i'd ask...

Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 AM
TyBragg
Elder User
I've got my 6637 hooked up with a 45 degree piece of 3" ABS. The OD of the ABS fits right inside the 6637 boot and the air intake boot. Two clamps hold it on and it works great! Now, the previous owner of my truck had replaced the flimsy orange intake boot with a more sturdy black one - I think you can get them from Clay, I've heard. I think some folks had issues with the orange ones, but I'm not sure under what circumstances. I'd look into it if I were you.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I drilled the bracket that holds the fuse box and mounted the sensor to it. I'll find a picture to post. Looks factory and tidy.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:24 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TyBragg
I've got my 6637 hooked up with a 45 degree piece of 3" ABS. The OD of the ABS fits right inside the 6637 boot and the air intake boot. Two clamps hold it on and it works great! Now, the previous owner of my truck had replaced the flimsy orange intake boot with a more sturdy black one - I think you can get them from Clay, I've heard. I think some folks had issues with the orange ones, but I'm not sure under what circumstances. I'd look into it if I were you.
mine had a black rubber one there when i bought it. seems fairly tough. plus, with my K&N tube, i still use the factory saddle-mount that screws down under the valve cover screws, so there's not really any load on that piece that connects to the turbo. probably came with the 96 models, though, as from what i can tell, maintenence and upkeep on my truck was **** poor before i bought it.

is yours an earlier model year?

drilling that bracket is a good idea. that's like a 1" hole, though right? i've had a million reasons to buy a drill bit set of 5/8" and larger. maybe this'll make me do if finally. ...probably not though.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:58 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
The orange ones were failure prone.they split at the turbo on bottom at clamp.i tried to get a replacement but clay is out of stock for a few weeks it said on his site ...

Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 PM
TireJockey
Senior User
Damn, i got such a big hook up. Rob got me my filter from Orielys for $38 and gave me a 45* piece of tubing, and a boot. So i spent $38 total, and i think i bought him a pepsi for his effort. So $40

Old 12-21-2012, 06:36 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Pics of mounted sensor. Looks factory. I don't think it required a 1" drill bit but please don't let me stop you from buying all the tools you think you need!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Your welcome for the OBS kit! =)

Threw the sensor in the hole on the fender. Will still measure the same.
Unless your talking about the minder. I threw that in the trash.

I actually used silicone grease on mine to help keep it soft.
You can get it in little jars in the plumbing section.

it's some good stuff.