6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

After searching 65 pages of EGR, WHITE SMOKE results, not finding asnwer

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM
celouden
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After searching 65 pages of EGR, WHITE SMOKE results, not finding asnwer

i have an 08 350, with 149xxx. it has DPF delete tune only. It does not regen, nor has it regened since 100xxx. the lower radiator hose clamp is leaking, quite significantly, i just add a gallon of water as needed. The HPOP has been replaced, I use diesel klean as well.

I have a new issue that i am trying to figure out. First time it happened, truck sat for a week, before i started it at 4am to go hunting. When i stopped for diesel (left running) the truck POURED out white smoke. CEL light came on, but could not get DTC. Cleared CEL and had not been on since.

Now, when i drive the truck, i periodically bellows the white smoke, usually prior to the engine temperature being warm. It does not throw the CEL, and usually does not happen after the truck is warmed up and operating normally. (once or twice it has) the problem is so periodical that i am unsure of the cause.

ALL the posts i see point to EGR or DPF, i have no DPF, but am unsure if the EGR delete is the direction i need to proceed.

any suggestions or links to procedures that will help me identify the problem will be great. Thinking head gaskets are fine, oil is clean, power is never an issue, never smokes under a load, just getting up to speed. smell of coolant is obvious, but radiator hose could contribute to that. any constructive help is appreciated.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
was your CAC, I think that is what it was called, ever replaced under recall. You have an early truck so they had to replace those as they trapped water. It is located in front of the radiator on the truck, you may want to loosen up the boot to see if there is any water.

Leon

Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 PM
celouden
New User
not sure, was not replaced while i have had it. I will look tommorrow i suppose.

wondering if it is is EGR leak, how does it work? is it dumping water into exhaust gasses that run back thru motor, or just out exhaust?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
This is a hard one as you have already indicated a leak at the hose. So the amount of coolant you are loosing and if the egr coolers are leaking is hard to answer till you get the hose fixed.

Some of it maybe just because of ambient temps outside.

When the truck is running and you are up to operating temps and the white smoke occurs...how is the tail pipe at that time. Is it moist and does it smell like coolant?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
most common source of WHITE smoke on these trucks was accumlated water in the CAC. That white smoke however would occur during moments of power, like passing a car or kicking it in the azz to climb a hill. It would also stutter and miss a bit as the smoke was observed. So, it doesn't sound like that's it. You really need to get the cooling system under control. If coolant is allowed to get too low or too low in nitrates the water pump can cause cavatation which puts a hole in the water pump cover and means a big buck repair. Also, EGR coolers failing will put coolant in the oil and vice versa, again nothing you want to play with. Check system AFTER REPAIRING THE RADIATOR LEAK with a pressure test. You can get a pressure tester from a an auto parts store "Lend a tool" program. O'Rylieys (prob spelled that wrong) had the best one. I forget the pressuree but you can find it on one of these threads. Have to wait a long while for EGR coolers to reveal a leak. they can have very small leaks. hope this helps.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
most common source of WHITE smoke on these trucks was accumlated water in the CAC. That white smoke however would occur during moments of power, like passing a car or kicking it in the azz to climb a hill. It would also stutter and miss a bit as the smoke was observed. So, it doesn't sound like that's it. You really need to get the cooling system under control. If coolant is allowed to get too low or too low in nitrates the water pump can cause cavatation which puts a hole in the water pump cover and means a big buck repair. Also, EGR coolers failing will put coolant in the oil and vice versa, again nothing you want to play with. Check system AFTER REPAIRING THE RADIATOR LEAK with a pressure test. You can get a pressure tester from a an auto parts store "Lend a tool" program. O'Rylieys (prob spelled that wrong) had the best one. I forget the pressuree but you can find it on one of these threads. Have to wait a long while for EGR coolers to reveal a leak. they can have very small leaks. hope this helps.
16 PSI is all you need to test the cooling system too as the Degas bottle cap releases at 16 PSI, Assuming its working right.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:49 AM
celouden
New User
thanks for your help, i was/am leaning toward EGR's, but since i lack some of the symptoms described on here, i was hesitant.

NOW, which EGR delete kit is best (haha, i know) ive heard sinister. do i need new elbow? i know i dont need wastegate.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:56 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by celouden
thanks for your help, i was/am leaning toward EGR's, but since i lack some of the symptoms described on here, i was hesitant.

NOW, which EGR delete kit is best (haha, i know) ive heard sinister. do i need new elbow? i know i dont need wastegate.
I'm not sure which kit he used but on April 8 2012 on this forum there is an excellent write up on installing the kit, complete with a lot of big pictures. The thread is interestingly enough called Installing an EGR kit, or something like that. You really want to take a good look at that before even buying the kit. It looks like a three sixpack chore to me. If you go quick it's page 28. Good luck

Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 AM
celouden
New User
i am currently looking through that post, thank you! i have a friend who is the diesel tech at my local ford shop, he does alot of "moonlighting" for me. he quoted me $300 for the install, sounds well worth it to me, except for the fact that he said after the new year.......well, not being able to drive my truck for two weeks until i can have the install.....that infringes on my hunting....as i am sure the wife would absolutely LOVE to have a deer transported in her EXP!!

Old 12-20-2012, 12:31 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What does the exhaust smell like while clouds are coming out?

Old 12-20-2012, 01:34 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by celouden
i am currently looking through that post, thank you! i have a friend who is the diesel tech at my local ford shop, he does alot of "moonlighting" for me. he quoted me $300 for the install, sounds well worth it to me, except for the fact that he said after the new year.......well, not being able to drive my truck for two weeks until i can have the install.....that infringes on my hunting....as i am sure the wife would absolutely LOVE to have a deer transported in her EXP!!
I grew up in one of the greatesst deer hunting areas of the country, very very rural PA. There, we field dressed them and hung them across the fender and drove around proudly until everyone saw us. I think you could still string one over the hood of an SUV.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:50 PM
whporwil
Senior User
I hate to ask but what is the CAC?

Today for the very first time my truck blew white smoke. I came off a red light in town and the next thing I knew I was a fog machine. My truck had been sitting for 3 months, it started right up and I drove about 70 miles yesterday. Today I had driven over 100 miles when this happened.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by whporwil
I hate to ask but what is the CAC?

Today for the very first time my truck blew white smoke. I came off a red light in town and the next thing I knew I was a fog machine. My truck had been sitting for 3 months, it started right up and I drove about 70 miles yesterday. Today I had driven over 100 miles when this happened.
CAC= Charge air cooler. It is the very front of the several radiators on the front of your truck. On some of the early trucks like mine it would accumulate moisture and then when you called for a lot of power the turbo would suck the water out, put out the fire in a couple cylinders and make a lot of white smoke and stutter a bit. Then the water would all be processed and the problem would not reappear until some time had passed to accumulate more moisture. This usually occured in high humidity or rain. The test is to pull off the bottom hose (boot) and look for water. I don't know what truck you have or even if the TSB is still valid but you can find it in the tech folder on this forum.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 AM
whporwil
Senior User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
CAC= Charge air cooler. It is the very front of the several radiators on the front of your truck. On some of the early trucks like mine it would accumulate moisture and then when you called for a lot of power the turbo would suck the water out, put out the fire in a couple cylinders and make a lot of white smoke and stutter a bit. Then the water would all be processed and the problem would not reappear until some time had passed to accumulate more moisture. This usually occured in high humidity or rain. The test is to pull off the bottom hose (boot) and look for water. I don't know what truck you have or even if the TSB is still valid but you can find it in the tech folder on this forum.
Thanks Stan My truck is a 08 job 1 F450.. When this happened to me I wasn't on it just pulling away from a stop light on a street that has a 40 mph speed limit. I didn't notice any studder at all but It did clear up before I got home which was about 3 miles. The storage I talked about was outside and the truck had a fair amount of snow on it. The truck drove almost 200 miles before this happened so perhaps the moisture took a while to thaw out.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
That don't sound like the right events for a CAC to get water in it. White smoke in general means water is getting into the exhaust stream and what you're seeing is steam. At least that's how I've always understood it but my skill is at the shade tree mechanic level. most likely issues are EGR coolers or head gaskets. neither one is good news but the former is better. How is the coolant level? It is very important on the 6.4 not to let the coolant get low and allow air into the cooling system. See; cavitation in the search function. To check the EGR coolers and HGs: go to a parts store with a lend a tool program (ORiellys had the best one around here). Check cooling system, it should hold 17 lbs forever. Or you can top off the coolant and drive it and see if you're losing coolant or of course you can take it to a real mechanic and let them figure it out. Again, do not let the coolant get low while you're doing this. If there is a head gasket problem, when it's fully warmed up and you put it on a hard long pull it will likely puke at the coolant filler tank. If you find a lot of white residue there that is a sign it is puking. If you wish to become well informed search this forum for: EGR leaks, Blown head gaskets, coolant cavatation, nitrate checking. Hope this helps, good luck.

Quick Reply: After searching 65 pages of EGR, WHITE SMOKE results, not finding asnwer