1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix my 89 Bronco XLT rear sag (Has 6inch susp lift)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Nurdywhiteboy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fix my 89 Bronco XLT rear sag (Has 6inch susp lift)

So I have an 89 Ford Bronco XLT, It has the 302 V8 under the hood, which I hope to someday swap that for a 5.9 cummins, but that's another story.

I have a 6inch suspension lift on my bronco and it looks great! Minus the fact that it has about a 2inch sag in the rear.

I've checked several places online and all I can find are front spring/strut spacers...? I heard something about just adding and or changing out leafsprings in the rear could fix this...? Pleas help! No one likes a sagger! Thanks!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:19 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Well changing/adding a leaf would be the best bet. Do you use blocks for the rear? Also here is a link for Bronco graveyard with add-a-leafs. They are popular for leveling or lifting and even for stiffening the springs.
1980-96 Ford Truck/bronco - Springs - Add-a-leafs

Good luck on your travels.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Nurdywhiteboy
New User
Great!

Thanks man! Is it really that simple?!? Just ordering springs and adding them to what I already have...The End?? Should I replace any of the old bolts, nuts, hangers, etc...?
P.S. How can I add a picture of my bronco on here?? I tried adding one to the last message, but after I select the image and press save or send it doesn't put it up...suggestions?

Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 AM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Working on leaf springs ain't to bad, pulling them apart I hear can be a pain though. If the old U-bolts and nuts are rusted to hell it wouldn't hurt to replace them. When I did my lift those nuts for the U-bolts required about 80ft/lbs of torque, dont forget to tighten up in a diagonal pattern.

You can create a photobucket account. Just click photobucket and it will take you there, you can setup a free account and upload pictures and grab the "IMG Code" and paste it into a reply and it will post the image. We always encourage pictures of projects. And Welcome to FTE!

Old 12-19-2012, 11:59 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Nurdywhiteboy
Thanks man! Is it really that simple?!? Just ordering springs and adding them to what I already have...The End?? Should I replace any of the old bolts, nuts, hangers, etc...?
P.S. How can I add a picture of my bronco on here?? I tried adding one to the last message, but after I select the image and press save or send it doesn't put it up...suggestions?
Pretty close too it, you do have to get new U-bolts and nuts though whenever you do leaf work. The hangers should be fine since you stick the add-a-leaf under your current spring pack. it shouldn't require hangers. I am not sure exactly how it works but the add-a-leaf kit should come with what you need besides the U-Bolts since those would need to be custom fit.

NE kind of covered it in his post, the easier way is to make a profile on Photobucket then upload the pictures to there Then when you click on the picture on the right side there will be a list of codes. One has [img] and [/img]. When you click that img code it automatically copies it so when you are making a post simply right click with your mouse and hit Paste. It will post the code with a link and show up like this:

Old 12-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Nurdywhiteboy
New User
Rite on, so I'll just order the rear add leafs and then order new u-bolts.

I'm sure it'll be common sense when I get to working on this but what do you mean when you say tighten diagonally..? It'd make sense if we were talking about rims, but I've never messed with leafs before.

Ya, I had an http:// for my image by sending the image to myself through FaceBook.... maybe you can't do it that way because of the image config... I'll try the photobucket and see what happens

Old 12-19-2012, 11:34 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Looks like it worked. I think what he ment was tighten it like you would with a 4 lug wheel. start on one bolt and get it partially snug then go diagonally to the next and so on. You just have to make sure that they get tightened equally pretty much.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
when you buy any lift kit new either 4" or 6" it would include either the correct rear block, AAL's or a whole new leaf spring pack. did you buy your 6" lift used or perhaps incomplete?

now if the lift is very new expect the front to settle some, the lifts for our broncos tend to run a bit high in the front. have you gotten the front end aligned yet? this will also help some.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:58 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Adding to KB's post if the lift is new or you installed it, maybe look into the company to see if the springs are "scragged". Basically meaning the springs are pre-worn so they won't settle as much. A 6" lift could really be a 5.5" lift.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:32 AM
Nurdywhiteboy
New User
Pre-owner was a mechanic and I can clearly see he deff spent some time with the bronco and the things he did do(all additions), he deff did right! I admire that a lot since that's my style as well. Pretty stoked to come across this beast of a machine

So I think that kind of x's out the incomplet job idea, but deff a good consideration. I'm pretty sure I'll just snag some procomp adds on their site which is pretty badass! Just find what you want, it'll show you the price(usually the lowest around) then give you every place you can get it for that price and you can just click on each until u find one that ships for free procompusa.com

I'm sure I'll understand the whole diagonal thing when I take a closer look at everything...I'm all doped up and posted up from foot surgery, broke it wakeboarding in Freemont, NE. Deff ready to get on my feet again and get under the beast!

Thanks again guys!

P.S. My rear window was working perfectly for a month... now, the motor is still running hard, it just seems like the gear isn't locking into it's counterpart or the gear is stripped or something. I took the pannel off and grazed.... does't look like a fun job but I'm down for some gear repairs if necessary...any thoughts..?

Old 12-23-2012, 01:41 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
It does sound like the gear is toast in that motor which is a normal thing. You can find the gears on a lot of auto part sites, they are usually plastic. I don't really know the details but a quick search on google would probably work. Look around for something like "89 bronco rear window gear replacement" There has been a lot of people who have done this. Anyways, good luck with the lift sag and all that stuff and get better soon

Old 12-23-2012, 01:53 AM
Nurdywhiteboy
New User
Old 12-23-2012, 08:23 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
That's pretty nice looking. Doesn't look like the sag is super bad though, nothing an AAL won't fix. It will stiffen the leafs too to make it safer.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Nurdywhiteboy
New User
Preciate it, only a couple more weeks and I'll be back in gear

That's great news about the gear! I'll check it out, the only downside is...it looks like if I have to do ANYTHING to that motor/gears, I'll have to disassemble the whole rear window setup which doesn't look too fun with the little space that's provided

Thanks! I look forward to feeling the ride/handling after I install these AALs! Plus, I'm gonna need em anyways when I do an engine swap with the 5.9 Cummins, but that's deff down the road!

Old 12-23-2012, 10:47 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I think the hardest part is getting the motor in and out. The rest should be pretty easy. I've never done AAL's so i don't know their difficulty nor what all has to be done. I'm sure it won't be terribly hard. Anyways, let us all know what happens later.

Quick Reply: Fix my 89 Bronco XLT rear sag (Has 6inch susp lift)